ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2014, 06:12 AM   #28486
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
I might be convinced to host a ride and shoot as well. I don't have a pistol course, but we do have steel targets @ 200 yds, 450 yds, and 600 yds. I like the long range stuff.

No, I don't own a Garand. It belonged to another inmate who let me shoot it. It was my first time firing an M1 rifle, but I've fired an M1 tank many a time.

jeff
THIS, I could get in to.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:55 AM   #28487
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
I might be convinced to host a ride and shoot as well. I don't have a pistol course, but we do have steel targets @ 200 yds, 450 yds, and 600 yds. I like the long range stuff.

No, I don't own a Garand. It belonged to another inmate who let me shoot it. It was my first time firing an M1 rifle, but I've fired an M1 tank many a time.

jeff

I'm developing a property off 56 near Wingina. The development plan includes a number of ranges including handgun, rifle and shotgun.

I like the long range stuff too, but the land contour doesn't lead me to believe I can facilitate that in the short term. Looks like we'll be limited to a maximum of 375 yards for the short term.

The property will be m/c friendly, and handicap accessible.

Jimmy
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #28488
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
Ride to baseball would be fun! I love scuba diving but don't need another hobby. Went on a few resort dives about 20 years ago and will never forget it.
As far as a get together outside of riding, skiing/snowboarding would be a hoot! An overnight at Snowshoe might get my wife to come along!
I'm going to be at RIR tomorrow for the Rusty Wallace Racing Experience, so if you never hear from me again, I may have crashed a stock car! I am AMPED!!!
Outside of riding Snowboarding is my favorite way to waste time and hurt myself.

I may see you at RIR tomorrow. I am taking some of my guys to drive a Ferrari around the autocross course. This should be eye opening.
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #28489
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Hey guys .......
We have a great group of guys and gals here on ADV. Its been a pleasure to get to know all of you. Besides riding and an occasional RTE I have always wondered if there were other events or interests that could bring the group together more often. For example last year some of us went fishing. Firearms seems to be another interest by many.

Long story short ..... scuba diving. Any scuba divers out there? Experienced or new? Any interest?

Just saying .... Oct 25-Nov 1, 2014 one of the dive shops is sponsoring a trip to Roatan Honduras. All inclusive.... luxury resort, food, diving and meals. Around $1250 a person plus air. 7 nights, 5 days of 3 tank dives.

I am not connected in any way to the event. The wife and I just enjoy warm water and all the critters that live in it.

If anyone is interested in going let me know.
They wife and I have really enjoyed the few resort dives we have been on over the years. Just a few weeks ago she dove off Key Largo and had a fantastic time. I sent her your video and she freaked out, said we had to leave on the next flight. We keep saying we are going to get certified and buy all the gear but dang man I need another expensive hobby like a hole in the head. Who knows maybe she will talk me into it....
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:10 AM   #28490
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPlate View Post
...... We keep saying we are going to get certified and buy all the gear but dang man I need another expensive hobby like a hole in the head. Who knows maybe she will talk me into it....
You might have to sell the Ruckuses to buy the dive gear.... which would you use more? Diving isn't for me, I'm a water coward. That's why I became a tanker.

Ain't this a great way to link up with like-minded deviants?

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #28491
YmeYnow
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Anyone plan on being around Poe's this Sunday morning?
YmeYnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #28492
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Excellent ......
Baseball, race cars, diving, air shows, skiing ...... Sounds like a great start! Besides skiing most of the events can still include a Ride To.
I will one day do a RTB (Ride To Board). I almost went for it this past winter...
Old 05-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #28493
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Apparently we might be an anomaly here in RVA.

As most of you know, there's a 99% chance I'll be moving to Portland later this year. So I decided to start asking around for a "Guy" or "Eppa" equivalent out west, thinking I could use a good wrench so far from "home". Well, the idea of an expert mechanic working from a home garage appears to be alien to them. I got lots of responses for the "best dealership mechanic", but that's not what I'm looking for. Had a couple of "good luck with that" type of responses. Seems folks either do for themselves or choose a dealership (which I'm not keen on).

Guess we should be most grateful for who we have.

Having said that, if anyone has a lead on "Portland Guy", I'd love to hear it.

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #28494
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by YmeYnow View Post
Anyone plan on being around Poe's this Sunday morning?
Second Sunday already? I am still writing "4" for April on stuff. I can't make it to Poes because of Mothers Day, but I am going to try and take the family to the airshow next weekend.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:29 AM   #28495
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,022
Boy you got that right, we are different

Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Apparently we might be an anomaly here in RVA.

As most of you know, there's a 99% chance I'll be moving to Portland later this year. So I decided to start asking around for a "Guy" or "Eppa" equivalent out west, thinking I could use a good wrench so far from "home". Well, the idea of an expert mechanic working from a home garage appears to be alien to them. I got lots of responses for the "best dealership mechanic", but that's not what I'm looking for. Had a couple of "good luck with that" type of responses. Seems folks either do for themselves or choose a dealership (which I'm not keen on).

Guess we should be most grateful for who we have.

Having said that, if anyone has a lead on "Portland Guy", I'd love to hear it.
I had the exact same opinion last summer on our TAT trip. I posted to Oregon region, looking for an inmate who could take a shipment of tires, and provide a spot where we could do an oil change, routine maint, change tires, and get the bikes ready to ride back east. Found out there was no such thing happening out there. Only two people responded with an offer of space to work, but they were hundreds of miles out of the way.

I had lots of emails about, "let us know how it goes", but no-one in SW Oregon would do anything like that. Maybe we're just a lucky amalgamation of good folks? Whatever the reason, I'm glad we've got this chatter group going.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #28496
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quaker Steak Mileage Contest

A co-worker told me that this year Quaker Steak is doing a weekly mileage contest. I don't think many ADVers are into their Wednesday bike night which mainly consists of drunk pirates and sport bikers. However, I think t would be cool to see one of us blow them away with some big mileage. My co-worker thinks he has a shot of winning it with 300-400 miles in one week.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #28497
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
My co-worker thinks he has a shot of winning it with 300-400 miles in one week.
I think Chuck did something like 5,000 miles in 10 days last summer when he drove to Colorado to have lunch with Jeff and his nephew!
Old 05-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #28498
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
I think Chuck did something like 5,000 miles in 10 days last summer when he drove to Colorado to have lunch with Jeff and his nephew!
i am hoping he or Jeff Munn or someone will make the rest of the flocks mileage look pathetic...
Old 05-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #28499
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
A co-worker told me that this year Quaker Steak is doing a weekly mileage contest. I don't think many ADVers are into their Wednesday bike night which mainly consists of drunk pirates and sport bikers. However, I think t would be cool to see one of us blow them away with some big mileage. My co-worker thinks he has a shot of winning it with 300-400 miles in one week.
I guess my RVA to Denver in 28 hours (straight-thru) wouldn't count, eh?

Old 05-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #28500
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
I guess my RVA to Denver in 28 hours (straight-thru) wouldn't count, eh?
Dang Guy! That's right at 1,650 miles in 28 hours, that's impressive! My best ever is San Antonio, Texas to Colonial Heights (1503 miles in 27 hours); but that was in a car, my best on two wheels is just under 1100 in 17 hours.

I bet Chuck easily has us beat at 500 mph at 33,000 feet!