ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #28501
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
A co-worker told me that this year Quaker Steak is doing a weekly mileage contest. I don't think many ADVers are into their Wednesday bike night which mainly consists of drunk pirates and sport bikers. However, I think t would be cool to see one of us blow them away with some big mileage. My co-worker thinks he has a shot of winning it with 300-400 miles in one week.
I'm in WV right now. Could you get a little info on what the rules are, and how they verify it? I wouldn't mind doing a run down the BRP and back to hit them with some slightly larger mileage totals. Heck, I've ridden over a thousand miles several times to BMW rallies and NOT gotten the long distance award.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #28502
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,899
Saw dljocky today. He is having withdrawals. Not from not riding but no moto to clean and polish. I told him I would pass around this info so if anyone needs their moto cleaned just drop it off for a few days. I'll be first with the mighty DR. He may not let me take it back after he sees it. But everyone should have a DR.

He is looking good.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #28503
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Apparently we might be an anomaly here in RVA.

As most of you know, there's a 99% chance I'll be moving to Portland later this year. So I decided to start asking around for a "Guy" or "Eppa" equivalent out west, thinking I could use a good wrench so far from "home". Well, the idea of an expert mechanic working from a home garage appears to be alien to them. I got lots of responses for the "best dealership mechanic", but that's not what I'm looking for. Had a couple of "good luck with that" type of responses. Seems folks either do for themselves or choose a dealership (which I'm not keen on).

Guess we should be most grateful for who we have.

Having said that, if anyone has a lead on "Portland Guy", I'd love to hear it.
Did you try the anonymous book, or just ADV?

That aside. .. I did the Rusty Wallace Racing Experience today and it was a blast and all, but to be honest, I've gotten WAY more thrills chasing some of you FFs than I got out there! I did a 3 lap ride along and 12 laps on my own. I don't know what my top speed was, but those straights went by in a flash! I'll watch my video tonight to see if it's any thing worth sharing. If anyone it's interested in doing that, check Amazon Local for a deal. I got my whole thing for about half price!

Sent from my mobile Interociter.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #28504
dljocky
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Jeff, I did a 1,000 mile trip in 24 hours a few yrs back on my DR, never got it verified, I wished that I would have now.

Biker128pedal. ARGH. I'm glad you are enjoying the DR........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Heck, I've ridden over a thousand miles several times to BMW rallies and NOT gotten the long distance award.

jeff
dljocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:44 AM   #28505
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
I had lots of emails about, "let us know how it goes", but no-one in SW Oregon would do anything like that. Maybe we're just a lucky amalgamation of good folks? Whatever the reason, I'm glad we've got this chatter group going.

jeff
Wrong crowd ~ Try Pirate4x4.com The hard core 4wd guys would be very cool with the thought of DIY (especially cross country Dirt Bike stuff). Buying junk and building into a KOH / Rubicon / Moab crawler ~ themselves is what it is all about. ANd most started off on 2 wheels. Cross that forum with your brand of bike and BINGO!!!!

Whitfield screwed with this post 05-10-2014 at 01:55 AM
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 01:52 AM   #28506
Whitfield
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Is anyone else registered for the Richmond River Rock MTB race?

I've cut 30 lbs 228 - 198 and been putting in extra hours on the pedal bike. Trying to run the 40+ beginner class and hoping to not get lapped by the school girl beginner class starting behind me.

26.39 miles today

**** Way better than my 3 laps around JRP last year 2-weeks before the race. I was so lucky it got rained out.

Whitfield screwed with this post 05-10-2014 at 01:57 AM
Whitfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:23 AM   #28507
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Longest straight thru ride: RVA to Sedalia, MO - Iron Butt SS 1000 with Chuck and Eddy: 1016 mi in 16+ hours, sometimes in 100 F temps.

I'm certified to scuba dive (one of the best things I learned at W&M) and interested.

I also like the ideas of RTB to see the Flying Squirrels and ride to shoot, but not combined.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:02 AM   #28508
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
I'm in WV right now. Could you get a little info on what the rules are, and how they verify it? I wouldn't mind doing a run down the BRP and back to hit them with some slightly larger mileage totals. Heck, I've ridden over a thousand miles several times to BMW rallies and NOT gotten the long distance award.

jeff
As far as I know you have to show up to bike night on a wednesday and register and when you come back the following week they check mileage just by walking around the lot looking for each bike by discription and VIN#. Not sure you could stop in and get checked in or out. I will find out more.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #28509
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,020
Ride and Long Range Shoot Memorial Weekend?

Okay, I'm throwing it out there. Is there anyone interested in coming to WV over Memorial Weekend to ride, camp, and possibly do some long range shooting? I might be convinced to be the mule and transport any long barreled weapons for you, so they needn't be carried on the bikes.

As always, camping is available, and the little camping cabin too. Also the pole barn, outhouse, grills, bonfire pit, etc. Teresa and I have a social engagement Saturday so everyone would be on their own that night. Franklin is only 10 miles away so foraging is not an issue.

Let me know if you are interested, so I can plan appropriately. We are a very family friendly place, with lots of space for kids to ride too.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #28510
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,454
I'd LOVE to go shooting on Memorial Day but I am forced to work all the warm weather holidays. Blah.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #28511
tg4360
Misfit Toy

Oddometer: 91
"forced"

Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post
I'd LOVE to go shooting on Memorial Day but I am forced to work all the warm weather holidays. Blah.

YOU signed on for that ya dope! (Shoulda asked me first!)

Admit it.... it beats working for a living.....

TG
tg4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #28512
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
Great to hear.

Wow .....
I'm gone 2 days and look at all the chatter. Awesome. All of it sounds great. We can't do it all in one week but keep the ideas coming. We did the same thing in the skydiving community and I can't tell you how many great friends I still have from that. Two of them are going to Roatan with us diving.

Jeff ..... Funny you should mention the M1 tanks. I think I lost half my hearing as a corpsman covering the tank ranges. The blasts would literally knock our drinks off the dash board. I hope it was better inside the tank.

Rick ... I'll be in Portland ME tomorrow night. I'll look around.

Quacker Steak ..... Ha. Ha. That will be easy to do!
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:27 AM   #28513
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Portland ... Oregon. Lol!

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #28514
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,454
True, I don't mind much. Get to put a few hundred miles on the motor and over a hundred green copies LOL. You are right it does beat not wanting to get up in the AM. With that being said I test for SA June 5th and would LOVE to see ya around more often ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg4360 View Post
YOU signed on for that ya dope! (Shoulda asked me first!)

Admit it.... it beats working for a living.....

TG
Old 05-11-2014, 06:14 AM   #28515
tg4360
Misfit Toy

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post
True, I don't mind much. Get to put a few hundred miles on the motor and over a hundred green copies LOL. You are right it does beat not wanting to get up in the AM. With that being said I test for SA June 5th and would LOVE to see ya around more often ;)

Folks, he's getting PAID to ride a motorcycle (albeit a Harley) and he wants to give that up..... some people......

TG
tg4360 is offline   Reply With Quote