ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #28921
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Crazy idea with all the new people around here.

We could play photo tag. Hey Higworld, if I rember right you need to go get the tag from in front of the Jimmy Johns in short pump before you move away.it has only been there a year or so.

And yes I rember saying we should just let it die, but think of all the new people who've never been Bruced by MOB.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #28922
Titans804
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I bought mine from ultimate cycle. It was the last 2013 they had left so got it for a great deal. Been wanting a DR for years. Finally got one! I'll keep am eye out for rides
Titans804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #28923
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,454
Hmmmm I might grab that tag during "lunch" one day.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:46 AM   #28924
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I'm probably unrealistically optimistic about the difficulty in changing the color. I'd prefer white or white and blue. Anyone know what gets krylon off ABS plastic? On the other hand I paid about a grand less than any of the other 6th Gen VFRs I see on CL. After selling the WR, less than 5 bills came out of pocket. After owning two bikes, I didn't want to think about only having one again. I mean what would happen if I sent my suspension off late in the winter and spring were to hit. I wouldn't have anything to ride.
I'd try brake fluid....it seems to rip the paint off anything I spill it on and comes in plastic bottles and sits in plastic reservoirs....

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:30 AM   #28925
dawgwhat
No Earthy Idea

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
I've looked some on there and vfrworld. What happened to yours?

Also, having ridden one now, I'm that much more impressed by that day you rode down Coal Rd.
I sold it to get a V so me and momma can ride, I miss it
Old 06-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #28926
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Fort Lewis Lodge. Wow. What a place. 3200 acres and rooms start at $240 per couple. But dinner and breakfast are included.
Jeff, I can't say enough good things about the Fort Lewis lodge. It's compeletely serene with beautiful views, a great cocktail hour before dinner every day and THE FOOD! Oh my! Rich, delicious and luxurious! I recommend staying in one of the cabins or in the riverhouse on the "small" plot of land (600 acres). The fishing in front of the riverhouse is so much fun as the water is crystal clear and you can sometimes see the trout approach the fly. Considering that the room rate includes breakfast and a wonderful dinner, its very reasonable. Very highly recommended for a long weekend. (I didn't know that kids were allowed there now.)

http://www.fortlewislodge.com/lodging.html
Old 06-11-2014, 07:44 AM   #28927
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
We could play photo tag. Hey Higworld, if I rember right you need to go get the tag from in front of the Jimmy Johns in short pump before you move away.it has only been there a year or so. And yes I rember saying we should just let it die, but think of all the new people who've never been Bruced by MOB.
And here I was, being good and following orders. "Let the thread die", I was told.

Well, shit. I'm going out this afternoon!

"I’m lost. I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #28928
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,057
I would probably have to mat and frame a citation for doing 60 + mph on a gravel road. Expensive wall decoration, but I would have to do it. Knocking on wood, but I have never seen radar, etc. setup on a non-surfaced road. I thought it was 45 mph and possibly 25 mph in the National Forests.

*Edit* How did my post show up ABOVE the one I was responding to???

Dirtmonkey8 screwed with this post 06-11-2014 at 09:45 AM
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #28929
tg4360
Misfit Toy

Oddometer: 91
Word to the wise.....

§ 46.2-873.1. Maximum speed limit on nonsurface-treated highways.
The maximum speed limit on nonsurface-treated highways, which are roads that are comprised of an earth-aggregate or aggregate surface (i.e., dirt and gravel) that have not been stabilized with a bituminous or cementitious material, shall be 35 miles per hour. The maximum speed limit upon such highways may be increased or decreased by the Commissioner of Highways or other authority having jurisdiction over highways. However, such increased or decreased maximum speed limit shall be effective only when indicated by sign on the highway. For such highways upon which maximum speed limit is not indicated by sign, the maximum speed limit shall be 35 miles per hour.
The provisions of this section shall apply in the Counties of Albemarle, Clarke, Fauquier, Frederick, Loudoun, Montgomery, Nelson, Page, Rappahannock, Warren, and Wythe and in any other county wherein the governing body adopts an ordinance pursuant to the provisions of this section.

The struck out language means that the 35 speed limit now applies to ALL dirt and gravel roads.

tg4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #28930
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by tg4360 View Post
Maximum speed limit on nonsurface-treated highways. The maximum speed limit on nonsurface-treated highways, which are roads that are comprised of an earth-aggregate or aggregate surface (i.e., dirt and gravel) that have not been stabilized with a bituminous or cementitious material, shall be 35 miles per hour.
A while back I asked a forest ranger about speed limits in the NF and on all national forest service roads the speed limit is 25 MPH.

There are public (state or county) dirt/gravel roads in the forest and they may have different speed limits.
RimBenty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #28931
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Jeff, I can't say enough good things about the Fort Lewis lodge. It's compeletely serene with beautiful views, a great cocktail hour before dinner every day and THE FOOD! Oh my! Rich, delicious and luxurious! I recommend staying in one of the cabins or in the riverhouse on the "small" plot of land (600 acres). The fishing in front of the riverhouse is so much fun as the water is crystal clear and you can sometimes see the trout approach the fly. Considering that the room rate includes breakfast and a wonderful dinner, its very reasonable. Very highly recommended for a long weekend. (I didn't know that kids were allowed there now.)

http://www.fortlewislodge.com/lodging.html
Teresa and I just want to eat there one night. (We have a pretty nice and serene place to sleep already that is only 41 miles away). Given that dinner is $30 per person, you are correct, the overall price is not bad and the facilities are fantastic.

For those thinking of going, there is no menu at the restaurant. The evening meal each night is "Chef's choice" and is whatever is fresh, and appealing. If you are not staying the night at the Lodge, you must call ahead and make a reservation for dinner.

I also found an incredible campsite along the Cowpasture River, between there and Williamsville. Would be great for an ADV rolling rally. A local told me that if you put in at the bridge in Williamsville, it is a 4.5 hour float back down to the campsite. Imagine, riding out on Friday, camping near the river, floating on Saturday, then having a 4 star dinner for $30, and sleeping back in your tent that night. The motorcycle version of glamping....

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #28932
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
Barber Museum is Epic. A must see if you go anywhere near the place. A true enthusiast could take an entire day and still miss stuff.

I spent a couple hours a day for three days at the vintage event there just wandering the museum. It really is amazing the collection Barber has put together.

The track is pretty special too.
+1 need a couple of days to see Barbers

and Dale at the Wheels through Time is a hoot!! super nice guy!!

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:18 AM   #28933
Jeff Munn

Quote:

And yes I rember saying we should just let it die, but think of all the new people who've never been Bruced by MOB.
With a smart phone and tapatalk app, you'll never be Bruce'd again (unless the tag is in an area without cell reception)

Old 06-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #28934
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
Scat Camp

Scat camp this weekend .....

So far the list for the weekend is Chuck, Rick, Macon, Matt and maybe Greg. All are welcome. All you new DR owners come on out. It's an easy day trip if you don't want to stay the night. Lots of room to camp. Miles of dirt and gravel to ride. Easy access off of Hwy 60 just east of the BRP.

Macon ... I finish work around 3:00 PM on Friday in DC. If I can get back into town at a reasonable time I will ride out Friday night. I have those large fog lights on the GS to get us up there at night.

Rick ... What are your plans?

I have a fresh bottle of Kracken for the weekend.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #28935
Jeff Munn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Scat camp this weekend .....

I have a fresh bottle of Kracken .....
Chuck, wish I could join you guys. Unfortunately I can't because Luke starts his week with us on Saturday so we'll be riding here. (He's only 13). But if you guys want to swing by when you are out on Saturday, you are more than welcome! We are only 11 miles and two ridge-lines past Reddish Knob.

jeff