ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #28936
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Jeff, I can't say enough good things about the Fort Lewis lodge. It's compeletely serene with beautiful views, a great cocktail hour before dinner every day and THE FOOD! Oh my! Rich, delicious and luxurious! I recommend staying in one of the cabins or in the riverhouse on the "small" plot of land (600 acres). The fishing in front of the riverhouse is so much fun as the water is crystal clear and you can sometimes see the trout approach the fly. Considering that the room rate includes breakfast and a wonderful dinner, its very reasonable. Very highly recommended for a long weekend. (I didn't know that kids were allowed there now.)

http://www.fortlewislodge.com/lodging.html

Thanks for the link. I just contacted them i/re booking for our upcoming 27th wedding anniversary.

Was hoping for something tropical this year, but it looks like we'll be in the midst of building a new abode.
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #28937
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Rick ... What are your plans?
I plan to drink heavily.

On a more serious note, I'm planning on pointing the TJ west around 10am, stopping at a store to load up on water, beverages, meat, charcoal, etc. If anyone needs me to pick up anything, shoot me a PM or email me at rick@higworld.com. Same if you have something you want me to carry. Once there (and I'm assuming I'll see something signifying where our exact spot is), I'll set up camp and then play on the non-single track trails until it's time to imbibe.

"Iím lost. Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #28938
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,057
Quote:
Scat camp this weekend .....

So far the list for the weekend is Chuck, Rick, Macon, Matt and maybe Greg. All are welcome. All you new DR owners come on out. It's an easy day trip if you don't want to stay the night. Lots of room to camp. Miles of dirt and gravel to ride. Easy access off of Hwy 60 just east of the BRP.

Macon ... I finish work around 3:00 PM on Friday in DC. If I can get back into town at a reasonable time I will ride out Friday night. I have those large fog lights on the GS to get us up there at night.

Rick ... What are your plans?

I have a fresh bottle of Kracken for the weekend.
If you want to head out Friday I doubt you will hold me up. I hope to be able to leave work by 5PM and be ready to ride out by 6 or 6:30. We can stay at my folks place so we will not have to setup camp late. Then we can head up into the NF from Indian Creek being cautious of rocks trying to take out side stand switches. I think I will ride around loaded Saturday. I don't think I want to leave all my camping gear at the site unattended.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #28939
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
Scat Camp

Jeff ..... You never know, there is always a chance we could roll that way. Kracken will determine our chances.

Rick .... I am assuming you are driving over Sat, right? Wood, charcoal, beer, water sounds good. What kind of meat?

Macon .... Sounds like a plan. I will stay in touch.

Matt .... What are your plans?
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #28940
Titans804
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
How far is this place from richmond? Do you have an address? Oh by the way, I love some kraken... Lol
Titans804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:06 PM   #28941
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Quote:
Rick .... I am assuming you are driving over Sat, right? Wood, charcoal, beer, water sounds good. What kind of meat?
Saturday morning at 10am, correct. Meat? Why, red of course. LOL! Actually, I'll grab whatever looks yummy, along with some side stuff. Fresh Market, so it will be better quality.

"Iím lost. Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
Old 06-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #28942
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
So, is this correct:

http://goo.gl/maps/G72Bt

What's the best way to get to the starting point of this?
Titans804, I had to go back a ways but they are talking about the spot on the map marked with a B.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #28943
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,403
Ya'll have fun and be safe. I'll be on my way to TN when ya'll will still be nursing your heads from the Kraken.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #28944
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Titans804, I had to go back a ways but they are talking about the spot on the map marked with a B.
It's about 140 miles.. ~3 hours if you go straight out 60 and 1 gas stop.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:30 PM   #28945
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Saturday morning at 10am, correct. Meat? Why, red of course. LOL! Actually, I'll grab whatever looks yummy, along with some side stuff. Fresh Market, so it will be better quality.
Can you pick me up some of that yummy food and I can pay you?? My mountain house is not going to be as tasty watching you eat steak or something, though the mountain house will likely cost more. Also, charcoal sounds good, however this is a primitive camp site with no grill grate. Does anyone have a grill grate with folding legs or something?
Old 06-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #28946
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Can you pick me up some of that yummy food and I can pay you?? My mountain house is not going to be as tasty watching you eat steak or something, though the mountain house will likely cost more. Also, charcoal sounds good, however this is a primitive camp site with no grill grate. Does anyone have a grill grate with folding legs or something?
I have a small grate. And I was planning on bringing enough for a gang. Those who like the selection can pay me back. A larger grate would be welcome.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #28947
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Excellent! Bring out the Kraken! How did Sailor Jerry get left out of this trip?
Old 06-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #28948
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Scat camp

I'm out, we have guests coming this weekend I just found out about a couple of days ago. Ya'll have fun and have some Kracken and cigars for me.Hope to join you on the next one.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #28949
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
...however this is a primitive camp site with no grill grate.
So get primitive.

All you need is an appropriate sized green hardwood stick with the bark stripped off. After you strip the bark, temper the stripped section a little over the campfire flame, just enough to dry it and burn off the fine stuff.

I give you Meet On A Stickô.

If the ground isn't too hard you can also make a spit using two forked sticks with your Meat On A Stickô laid in the forks. Or you could use rocks instead of forked sticks.

20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #28950
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Thanks Wayne. I figured that was what we were going to do until I heard someone say charcoal. I wanted to make sure they knew there was not going to be a nice fire pit with grate. I was camping at a music festival in Alaska a dozen years ago and someone mentioned having fresh salmon so we cooked it on a rock that was very hot from being next to the fire. It took a while but man was it good.