ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2014, 01:51 PM   #28951
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Excellent! Bring out the Kraken! How did Sailor Jerry get left out of this trip?
I think the Kraken grabbed Sailor Jerry and made him his own personal cabinboy. Once you go with the Kraken, you don't go back to playing with sailors....

Caution: Both have been known to cause sudden gusts of gravity to strike imbibers without warning.....

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #28952
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
So get primitive.

All you need is an appropriate sized green hardwood stick with the bark stripped off. After you strip the bark, temper the stripped section a little over the campfire flame, just enough to dry it and burn off the fine stuff.

I give you Meet On A Stick™.

If the ground isn't too hard you can also make a spit using two forked sticks with your Meat On A Stick™ laid in the forks. Or you could use rocks instead of forked sticks.

Thanks for not bringing up the tong incident.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #28953
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 913
Fire pits

There are two fire pits at the campsite. Two weeks ago when we camped there, there were several wire grates. We may want to bring a nice one.

We left our gear at the campsite while riding. Unless you know where it is its hard to spot from the road.

skychs screwed with this post 06-11-2014 at 04:30 PM
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #28954
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,976
Quote:
...I think I will ride around loaded Saturday. I don't think I want to leave all my camping gear at the site unattended.
what route for Saturday, i might venture out there.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #28955
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
There are two fire pits at the campsite. Two weeks ago when we camped there, there were several wire grates. We may want to bring a nice one.

We left our gear at the campsite while riding. Unless you know where it is its hard to spot from the road.

that's going to make it difficult to meet you guys ... Leave a flag or something

"I’m lost. I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #28956
cpeebles1
K-80

Oddometer: 90
If you guys need any goods transported to the camp site, I live about 15 miles from there, my Dad's old house is about a mile and a half from the campsite.
cpeebles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #28957
mattgoff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Jeff ..... You never know, there is always a chance we could roll that way. Kracken will determine our chances.

Rick .... I am assuming you are driving over Sat, right? Wood, charcoal, beer, water sounds good. What kind of meat?

Macon .... Sounds like a plan. I will stay in touch.

Matt .... What are your plans?

I'm in. I get back tomorrow from a day trip to California at midnight direct to Cville.

I have wood...lots and lots of wood. I don't think I'll need it for this winter and it's about a mile and a half off 64.

Are we all throwing $$$ at the food or bringing our own?

Exact plans may vary but it sounds like I'm going to Anton's in Cville for monthly moto movie night and then roll to camp based on GPS coordinates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattgoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #28958
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
what route for Saturday, i might venture out there.
Not sure where we will be riding Saturday, but we are camping on a very short spur off of Wiggins Spring Rd less than a mile South of the Mt Pleasant trail head. I guess we will figure out the riding after figuring out who will be where and when. *EDIT* Actually looks like only Chuck and I riding until Matt perhaps makes an entrance. I guess we can do what ever we want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgoff View Post
I'm in. I get back tomorrow from a day trip to California at midnight direct to Cville.

I have wood...lots and lots of wood. I don't think I'll need it for this winter and it's about a mile and a half off 64.

Are we all throwing $$$ at the food or bringing our own?

Exact plans may vary but it sounds like I'm going to Anton's in Cville for monthly moto movie night and then roll to camp based on GPS coordinates.

I was wondering who Matt was... I should have guessed it would be the only Matt I know that rides. You coming out late Saturday night after the moto flic?

Dirtmonkey8 screwed with this post 06-11-2014 at 06:22 PM
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:49 PM   #28959
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
CC road of The Trail has been fairly dry. The water holes have gotten longer but the long stretch of red clay has been dry. I saw some turkey tracks with these in the area. Maybe a coyote?

Put some T-63s on the DR. They seem to handle well on and off road. Here is the rear after a couple hundred miles.

Took a few pictures while out. Some flowers booming. A manly pink for fathers day coming up.

Riding some of the dirt roads by the land fill.

Dry spot on CC

Route 604 has a detour. But was a nice place to stop and take pictures.

Swamp Picture. It had gotten cloudy.
Where is this at???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Jeff, I can't say enough good things about the Fort Lewis lodge. It's compeletely serene with beautiful views, a great cocktail hour before dinner every day and THE FOOD! Oh my! Rich, delicious and luxurious! I recommend staying in one of the cabins or in the riverhouse on the "small" plot of land (600 acres). The fishing in front of the riverhouse is so much fun as the water is crystal clear and you can sometimes see the trout approach the fly. Considering that the room rate includes breakfast and a wonderful dinner, its very reasonable. Very highly recommended for a long weekend. (I didn't know that kids were allowed there now.)

http://www.fortlewislodge.com/lodging.html

My sister and husband went there recently and loved it so much my parents ended up going. They couldn't speak enough good things about it. Especially the food.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #28960
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,065
East, just the other side of west point. 64 east to 33 east of West point then turn left onto The Trail at Shacklefords. If I remember right it is a logging road off to the left after a couple miles. I think the sign listed at CC and then a number but it has been a while and I don't remember the turn exactly.

Not rocky, just sand, mud, logging trucks and hunters.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #28961
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
[QUOTE=burtonrider3889;24375137]Where is this at???

Red square is entrance of CC Road off of 14

Looking 14 West

After 2nd set of guard rails CC Rd will be on immediate right. Easy to miss.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:54 AM   #28962
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,976
Quote:
Not sure where we will be riding Saturday, but we are camping on a very short spur off of Wiggins Spring Rd less than a mile South of the Mt Pleasant trail head. I guess we will figure out the riding after figuring out who will be where and when.
You starting from the campsite on Saturday morning at specific time? Trying to figure out if I can get there without holding anyone up.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:15 AM   #28963
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,007
If you can't find the mud road now... This morning would be a great time for the mud road.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:54 AM   #28964
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 913
Scat Camp

Hey guys....
Sorry for the delays getting back to you. I'm in school out here in Indy trying to learn all the new ways to fly on one engine.

Anyway ... If I can get back into Richmond at a reasonable time Friday afternoon Macon and I are planning on riding over. If we can't get to the actual site that night we will be in the area for an early set up Sat morning.

More realistically..... the traffic from DC to Richmond will suck so Ill get home too late to finish packing and ride over. In that case I will get up fairly early and ride over. I'm thinking between 7-8 am.

Once I'm there I will mark the entrance so it will be easy to find. Maybe something like a red handkerchief.

I'll set up camp then go on short rides returning every 30-45 min to see if anyone has arrived.

The weather is looking great for Sat and Sun. Anyone who has some firewood is certainly welcome to bring it. There are two pits there so I'm sure we can burn what ever you bring. If not I'm sure the next group will appreciate the left overs.

Any other question please Email or PM me. Thanks.

Ohh. Like Macon said, no riding route has been planned but there is plenty of dirt and gravel to ride. Where we go will depend on who is riding. If anyone is coming in later give us a time and we will certainly swing back through camp and meet you.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:32 AM   #28965
mattgoff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Not sure where we will be riding Saturday, but we are camping on a very short spur off of Wiggins Spring Rd less than a mile South of the Mt Pleasant trail head. I guess we will figure out the riding after figuring out who will be where and when. *EDIT* Actually looks like only Chuck and I riding until Matt perhaps makes an entrance. I guess we can do what ever we want.

I was wondering who Matt was... I should have guessed it would be the only Matt I know that rides. You coming out late Saturday night after the moto flic?

The moto movie night is Cville on Friday. Anton owns the independent BMW shop in town.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24351201

We're just gonna toss some stuff on the grill have a beer or two and watch highlights from IOM TT. Anyone is welcome to join.

I'm packing my stuff and coming out camping straight from there so it will be in the evening Friday not Saturday.

mattgoff is offline   Reply With Quote