ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #29026
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
I'm officially bowing out of fixing this bike. I'm going to have to ride it somewhere slow and use the rear brake. I just can't for the life of me get this brake working. All this riding is making me jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
@Burtonrider:

Another Dirt/mud/gravel forest Road over near the infamous 'mud road' in King & Queen County can be found by either heading west on 14 out of West Point and take a right on Lombardy then a left on Iris. Iris is gravel and after a few miles it crosses a hard surfaced road and continues as Iris and gravel. Or coming from the West on 14 heading east you can take a left on Devil 3 Jump Rd and before you get to the K&Q Landfill take a right on Iris. Straight ahead is the entrance to the forest road. Map yellow square is Iris Rd. Red squares are the forest road. Should be gnarly with all the rain we just had!

Thanks, I'll head out there as soon I'm riding again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
If you want to see the West Point CC14 route go to YouTube and search skychsva. If you scroll down far enough you will find 3 or 4 videos named CC14 or West Point Mud rides. Some pretty funny riding there. I believe a couple of them are from end to end.

JHVA .... We need to go back soon to see what it's like.

I'm getting excited about camping this weekend. Two more hours to go here in Indy then I'm heading home. Kracken here we come! In case your wondering there are no steep hills to fall down at the campsite.
I'll check that out now. Thanks.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:15 PM   #29027
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,270
Happy Father's Day to all of the dads out there! I hope that everyone had a wonderful day. After waking to the smell of a breakfast fit for a king, opening my card and gifts from my family; We spent the day doing exactly what I wanted to do before we all went to my dad's place for dinner! Here's a clue!

I'm glad to hear that you all made it home safe from the weekend! Looks like fun! Maybe next time.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #29028
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgoff View Post
When I was seeing a girl down in Nelson
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John Boy is that you?

Glad to see you did shoe creek.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #29029
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
I'm officially bowing out of fixing this bike. I'm going to have to ride it somewhere slow and use the rear brake. I just can't for the life of me get this brake working. All this riding is making me jealous.
Since it does not work properly I'll trade you even up for an XR250L that works. It has a better front brake than my Vstrom. It has almost new Shinko 705s on it. A real OEM steel gas tank and an upgraded R/R. Heck I'll even thow in a set of unmounted Michelin T-63s.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #29030
mattgoff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
John Boy is that you?

Let's not kid ourselves...I CROSSED Shoe Creek with luggage, got stuck (didn't drop), got out with help and then ran back through it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattgoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #29031
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
Since it does not work properly I'll trade you even up for an XR250L that works. It has a better front brake than my Vstrom. It has almost new Shinko 705s on it. A real OEM steel gas tank and an upgraded R/R. Heck I'll even thow in a set of unmounted Michelin T-63s.
His WR has a 2 gallon steel OEM tank on it too.

Come on Burton it is only a front brake. It isn't that hard. It isn't like it is as complicated as this.

jgiacobbe screwed with this post 06-15-2014 at 07:59 PM
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #29032
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,053
Happy Father's Day to the Dads out there. I hope you enjoyed your holiday, We could not have asked for better weather today.

Man, I don't know where to start. I am very glad Boon Booni fessed up to his "I know who and where you are" prank. That has been driving me nuts today. Shortly after arriving Saturday Chuck found the Thai menu in a ziplock under a rock in a twiggy circle. Just plain weird. It is one thing to find a Thai menu on your door step or your mail box, but in the middle of the GWNF? Did you think we did not bring food? Anyway, weird enough. I looked at it while standing in a different spot this morning and I could clearly make out an "A", a "D" with a menu in it, and a pile of scattered sticks to the right. I wanted to point it out to the guys, but I was sidetracked and distracted by something else. That has been bugging me all day. WTF? I was thinking one of us tried to spruce it up with some ADV markings. As soon as Booni mentioned recommendations I put it all together instantly! Nice work Booni

We had a great time and other than Matt not being checked out on his camp chair everything went really smooth. We needed some extra entertainment so it worked out perfect. And who doesn't love a near miss. Well, with a camp chair anyway. Jrocks' near miss did not sound entertaining. I got god pics of Matt looking like a turtle on his back staring at Chuck's midnight sun, but you all have seen those already. Here is a pic of us trying to keep our ends from kracken while trying to pack up this morning.

I finally got to eat at Mountainview along with Chuck and Matt. It was hardly recognizable on the inside from when I last entered upon it as a store. Great breakfast that held me over until a late dinner. We ran into OldNoGPS and his son there. Nice guys out riding for fathers day. We all split up after eating. I went to visit my folks and then took my time wandering home. Finally took a couple of turns into the unknown that I have been wanting to try for a while such as taking Cabell from 56 to Howardsville. Pretty nice through there with a couple gravel roads off of it i will have to go back to see. I made an attempt at Hatton's Ferry. I am now 0-2 for that float trip. When I got home my wife and son came and greeted me and we hung out and cooked dinner on the grill and ate outside. Nice day!

Matt, here is your Wet Boot Creek video. Next time put your feet on the pegs and get up or I am not coming in after you. Notice that Chuck tries to sit this one out and got spanked around as well.
6-15-2014 Shie Creek from Macon Powers on Vimeo.
">
6-15-2014 Shie Creek from Macon Powers on Vimeo.

Great weekend! Thanks guys.

Dirtmonkey8 screwed with this post 06-15-2014 at 08:20 PM
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #29033
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by H14 View Post
John Boy is that you?

PHhhhewahaahahahaha! john boy... Man am I sore from laughing. My happy muscles must be out of shape.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:27 PM   #29034
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 4,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
On the way home we also got to initiate Matt to the first Shoe Creek crossing which resulted in everyone getting wet trying to get him out.
thanks for not leaving him in the creek, i'd already promised that you guys were much more reliable than that other bunch.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:41 AM   #29035
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,280
It was nice running into you guys yesterday, we enjoyed our short visit.
As you predicted, they wouldn't feed us, despite the lit "Open" sign in the window. I'm about 0-7 trying to eat there.
From there we rode FR63, FR76 up to the BRP and down to BV for fuel/food. Great riding with my son. He hasn't had a bike for a while, that's the first time we've ridden together for 2-3 years.
A nice Father's day for sure.
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:10 AM   #29036
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
His WR has a 2 gallon steel OEM tank on it too.

Come on Burton it is only a front brake. It isn't that hard. It isn't like it is as complicated as this.
Somewhere along the line I'm missing something simple. I only bled the brakes with newer fluid before with RimBenty. Seemed like an easy process. It hasn't worked nearly the same using a brand new line.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #29037
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Somewhere along the line I'm missing something simple. I only bled the brakes with newer fluid before with RimBenty. Seemed like an easy process. It hasn't worked nearly the same using a brand new line.
Okay, I'll throw in my two cents worth. I've had issues with master cylinders in the past that would NOT come back up to pressure. Have found on two occasions that it involved a plugged air hole in the master cylinder reservoir. I've heard it called a fluid compensating port, replenishing port, fluid return hole, etc. What ever it is called, it is TINY, and the least little bit of gasket or crud will plug it. Once plugged, you can pump until the cows come home and it won't ever let you build up pressure to bleed the air from the system. I'd recommend pulling the Master cylinder, emptying it, and carefully examining the bottom of the reservoir. I believe you should see two holes, one larger, one tiny. The tiny one is usually towards the brake caliper side and was always my problem. By tiny I mean way smaller than the smallest pilot jet you've ever seen.

Once I unplugged mine, they came back up to pressure just fine.

Just a thought.
jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #29038
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 571
Did you know Wintergreen Resort does not allow motorcycles on their property?

WOW

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #29039
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post

WOW
Wow! I did not know that. I am pretty sure I rode in there once and just passed the guard shack like I owned the place like I do when going skiing. I guess if I had stopped I would have found that out. Most bikes are loud as hell and I can understand why they don't want them in there. How did you find out?? i do want to go riding (snowboard) by riding (bike) to a ski area one day. I guess it will not be to the nearest one.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #29040
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post

WOW
Well, sort of...they will issue property owners a magic green sticker that is placed on the bikes left fork leg that will allow one access up the mountain.
Renters, tourists and other undesirables must park across the street from the security house. How you get up the mountain from there is your problem.
It sucks but it's private property, they can do what they want. I wonder if one too many ham fisted idiots with straight pipes ruined it for all of us by blasting up the mountain at midnight years ago?