ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #29041
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
..I wonder if one too many ham fisted idiots with straight pipes ruined it for all of us by blasting up the mountain at midnight years ago?
I'm glad they at least save lives because they certainly don't make friends of the non riding public..
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #29042
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Wow! I did not know that. I am pretty sure I rode in there once and just passed the guard shack like I owned the place like I do when going skiing. I guess if I had stopped I would have found that out. Most bikes are loud as hell and I can understand why they don't want them in there. How did you find out?? i do want to go riding (snowboard) by riding (bike) to a ski area one day. I guess it will not be to the nearest one.
I have to go inspect a property out there to insure it and decades ago they had that policy. I thought for SURE they had gotten that stick out of their ass and enough RUBBIE hog owners wanted to have MC up there to ride the parkway on....

So I called before I went. No ...No motorcycles. So I guess I will have to tear it up in the Mini Cooper S....

I have an inspection at foot of crabtree falls highway too. So I think it will be up 56, north on the parkway...down to wintergreen and home. All by car.

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #29043
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Okay, I'll throw in my two cents worth. I've had issues with master cylinders in the past that would NOT come back up to pressure. Have found on two occasions that it involved a plugged air hole in the master cylinder reservoir. I've heard it called a fluid compensating port, replenishing port, fluid return hole, etc. What ever it is called, it is TINY, and the least little bit of gasket or crud will plug it. Once plugged, you can pump until the cows come home and it won't ever let you build up pressure to bleed the air from the system. I'd recommend pulling the Master cylinder, emptying it, and carefully examining the bottom of the reservoir. I believe you should see two holes, one larger, one tiny. The tiny one is usually towards the brake caliper side and was always my problem. By tiny I mean way smaller than the smallest pilot jet you've ever seen.

Once I unplugged mine, they came back up to pressure just fine.

Just a thought.
jeff
Thanks for this. I'm trying to learn everything I can. It seems like the simplest things on motorcycles end up being a frustrating mess for me.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #29044
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Wow! I did not know that. I am pretty sure I rode in there once and just passed the guard shack like I owned the place like I do when going skiing. I guess if I had stopped I would have found that out. Most bikes are loud as hell and I can understand why they don't want them in there. How did you find out?? i do want to go riding (snowboard) by riding (bike) to a ski area one day. I guess it will not be to the nearest one.
I was told (by a ski patrol) you could park at the guard shack and they would shuttle you up. How often the shuttles run...?

Sent from my mobile Interociter.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #29045
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,028
That would have been a good day of work on the bike. Too bad. At least you have the mini... You will still have fun.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:56 AM   #29046
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,279
Ric,
You can take Cub Creek Rd. from 56 to W'green, just tape up the handbrake button before you go so can slide that Mini through the gravel turns. Might save you some time
Yep, AFAIK no bikes at W'green has always been the policy.
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #29047
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Thanks for this. I'm trying to learn everything I can. It seems like the simplest things on motorcycles end up being a frustrating mess for me.
Put the bike on the side stand turn the bars 2 the left and tickle the brake leaver until you see bubbles then squeeze and repeat until you have gotten all the air out of it. AB
Old 06-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #29048
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS View Post
Ric,
You can take Cub Creek Rd. from 56 to W'green, just tape up the handbrake button before you go so can slide that Mini through the gravel turns. Might save you some time
Yep, AFAIK no bikes at W'green has always been the policy.
Suitable for ankle biter cars???? Sounds like fun!!!

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #29049
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,267
Quote:
Man, I don't know where to start. I am very glad Boon Booni fessed up to his "I know who and where you are" prank. That has been driving me nuts today. Shortly after arriving Saturday Chuck found the Thai menu in a ziplock under a rock in a twiggy circle. Just plain weird. It is one thing to find a Thai menu on your door step or your mail box, but in the middle of the GWNF? Did you think we did not bring food? Anyway, weird enough. I looked at it while standing in a different spot this morning and I could clearly make out an "A", a "D" with a menu in it, and a pile of scattered sticks to the right. I wanted to point it out to the guys, but I was sidetracked and distracted by something else. That has been bugging me all day. WTF? I was thinking one of us tried to spruce it up with some ADV markings. As soon as Booni mentioned recommendations I put it all together instantly! Nice work Booni

I didn't mean to weird you out. I hoped the "ADV" would let you know it wasn't some creep stalking you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Macon and I both have Jacks R Better hammocks. My first hammock overnight. I have some bugs to work out but I think Im going to enjoy it.
I've never been in a bridge style hammock before. It's taken me a year of occasional camping and a bit of backyard testing to get most of the bugs out of this..

I thought about camping up there at the spot you guys picked, but I didn't have a lot of water with me.

Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #29050
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

What is te lower "hammock"? A gear loft? Nice setup and nice pic of the bike at the site.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #29051
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Somewhere along the line I'm missing something simple. I only bled the brakes with newer fluid before with RimBenty. Seemed like an easy process. It hasn't worked nearly the same using a brand new line.
Just pull the master cylinder, hose and caliper off the bike if you can. I don't remember there being any hose routing that will prevent you from removing it. Bring it over Friday afternoon and we'll get it fixed. I've bled enough brakes and rebuilt enough car master cylinders we'll get it sorted.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:31 AM   #29052
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,267
Quote:
What is te lower "hammock"? A gear loft? Nice setup and nice pic of the bike at the site.
Thanks.

Yeah, it's a gear loft for my riding gear. Helmet, backpack, tank bag, jacket, pants etc. It's attached to my main suspension, and once loaded up I use some cord and a stake and pull it off to the side so it doesn't interfere with my main hammock.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:54 AM   #29053
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Anyone ever run across this spot? I was curious if there was a history lesson here or an interesting story. I took this photo while riding a couple of weeks ago after briefly attending the classic bike show on rt 711. This photo was taken a litttle ways West of Cartersville. I had turned onto an unknown road which turned out to be gravel, passed "Bodacious" (had no idea that was there) and shortly after came across this spot. Also found a neat old gravel road that dead ends at the river where a bridge one stood. From now on I am going to try and take roads I have never been on to get aaround, but I guess it will be hard to plan and time my rides. I can usually tell my wife when I will be home and nail it pretty well. I have really been enjoying wandering and taking photos lately instead of trying to rack up miles. Must be getting old.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:22 AM   #29054
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Quote:

Anyone ever run across this spot? I was curious if there was a history lesson here or an interesting story. I took this photo while riding a couple of weeks ago after briefly attending the classic bike show on rt 711. This photo was taken a litttle ways West of Cartersville. I had turned onto an unknown road which turned out to be gravel, passed "Bodacious" (had no idea that was there) and shortly after came across this spot. Also found a neat old gravel road that dead ends at the river where a bridge one stood. From now on I am going to try and take roads I have never been on to get aaround, but I guess it will be hard to plan and time my rides. I can usually tell my wife when I will be home and nail it pretty well. I have really been enjoying wandering and taking photos lately instead of trying to rack up miles. Must be getting old.
I feel the same way you do. Some of my favorite times are hitting places I've never been just to see where it leads me, even locally.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:33 AM   #29055
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

I learn a lot of roads from reading stuff on hear. Like Oldnogps yesterday telling the mini cooper to try that Cub Run road or whatever it was. I want to check that out and use it to go to the Devils Backbone one day. I learn a lot of local roads from Madstrom. He drops hints it seems like and also usually gives details about all the roads he takes on rides. He mantioned Rocky Ford Rd in Powhatan a while back and I have taken it a few times since. It would have taken me a while to find it otherwise. I like exploring and always have.