ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2014, 05:35 AM   #29416
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,233
That's a great video, thanks for posting it. Since I just gave myself a 950 Super Enduro for my 60th birthday it seems especially appropriate
(Now I just need to learn how to do wheelies while holding a camera...oh wait - I need to learn how to do wheelies first...). I have the roosting and going sideways part pretty well figured out though.
OldnoGPS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:49 AM   #29417
crossEDup
Sir Fallsalot

Oddometer: 233
Why we ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS View Post
That's a great video, thanks for posting it. Since I just gave myself a 950 Super Enduro for my 60th birthday it seems especially appropriate
Is there a "Geezers" Forum? I'm looking BACK on 60 and hope to keep on riding until....
crossEDup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #29418
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,932
OK, enough of the old folks talk.

So I've been in the garage working on the ugly bike. Tried my hand at vinyl wrapping. Didn't turn out how I liked. So this morning I pulled all the vinyl that I had done back off. Then, I figured one ugly rattle can paint job deserves another. I figured it couldn't get any worse.

I think I made it look better. And yes I made a black and white interceptor. Luckily it isn't the ford kind.

All that is left to paint is the tops on the side cases and the tank. The tank will wait for another time be a use it needs to be sanded bad. The paint on it is cracking badly and looks like it has had a couple botched paint attempts. That and the tank is 3/4 full right now.

Tomorrow as reward for my works, both good and bad, I'm going to go play on the 650. No plans to get rid of it. No matter what other project bike comes and goes, the wee little DL can always be counted upon to just go without much more than fuel, oil and tires.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #29419
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,492
OK, so I rode down to Montebello today and went to Shoe Creek.

[IMG]
[/IMG]

Got lost on the way and found this:

[IMG][/IMG]

Yogaville?! Lots of Hippie Chicks walking around there, and I don't mean women with weight issues.

also found this guy in Buena Vista:

[IMG][/IMG]

Turns out "Tower Road" is a road I have been up many times. If you take the last right turn before the summit, you can get back to Montebello. It used to be open, but it's been closed off for a few years now. Not sure why. Hell, who can think like the Forestry Service?

pplassm screwed with this post 07-06-2014 at 02:48 PM
pplassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #29420
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 820
Yogaville is quite a place. I first discovered it on google maps looking for places to explore. It pops out pretty well on satellite imagery. I rode through there early this spring. It was strange. Everyone I saw was wearing a shade of pastel in something like medical scrubs. Looked comfy but reminded me of a sci-fi movie or the flight deck of a carrier. Some in all yellow, blue, pink, or green pastels. Did you go past the arch gate thing where you took the pic? The road winds down through a pretty wooded shallow ravine and pops out on a bluff over looking a large opening along the James with a very interesting yoga temple thing. Research online brings you some hits describing the place as a cult or the remains of one.

And it is a shame the road from Wolf to Montebello is closed. It has been closed since before i started riding. It would make a nice loop along with Shoe Creek. Forest Service just does not have money to maintain all of the roads they have and the jeep guys keep tearing them up along with everything in sight of the roads.

Where is that restaurant with timber framing where you stopped on the DR?

Dirtmonkey8 screwed with this post 07-05-2014 at 08:04 PM
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #29421
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,492
That's JJ's Meat Shack in Buena Vista. Really good food. They're serving out of the trailer until the main building is finished.

I had a great ride today. Weather was perfect.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:42 AM   #29422
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

IS that the place with the trailer and covered patio out front? Used to be Franks for the Memories?

Edit**- Nevermind, I found the water tower down the street at a different spot.

Dirtmonkey8 screwed with this post 07-06-2014 at 10:06 AM
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #29423
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
OK, enough of the old folks talk.

So I've been in the garage working on the ugly bike. Tried my hand at vinyl wrapping. Didn't turn out how I liked. So this morning I pulled all the vinyl that I had done back off. Then, I figured one ugly rattle can paint job deserves another. I figured it couldn't get any worse.

I think I made it look better. And yes I made a black and white interceptor. Luckily it isn't the ford kind.

All that is left to paint is the tops on the side cases and the tank. The tank will wait for another time be a use it needs to be sanded bad. The paint on it is cracking badly and looks like it has had a couple botched paint attempts. That and the tank is 3/4 full right now.

Tomorrow as reward for my works, both good and bad, I'm going to go play on the 650. No plans to get rid of it. No matter what other project bike comes and goes, the wee little DL can always be counted upon to just go without much more than fuel, oil and tires.
Nice work. Maybe some pin striping will add a positive affect. Off the subject, but why do most your block walls look really damp and wet despite being mostly above grade? You got a leaky gutter or something?
Old 07-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #29424
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,742
Flint hills of Kansas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #29425
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
Flint hills of Kansas

Have I mentioned how jealous I am of this?

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:56 AM   #29426
klim86
veteran

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Flint hills of Kansas

Your out by me! I live in junction city outside ft riley. Let me know if you want to met up. I'm sure I could kick up a couple of them locals for a ride...

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. ― Heraclitus

'04 V-strom 1000, '06 XR650L(sold)
klim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #29427
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,267
Quote:
Flint hills of Kansas

You're trailering, but when I rode across Kansas in 2002, the quartering southeast head winds were horrific. Was wearing out my tires on the LH side of the bike, but figured I'd even things out on my return a week later. Not to be. The winds had shifted 180 degrees and I was heeled over on the same side. Strangely enough, as soon as I crossed over into CO, the winds stopped and stayed that way the rest of the time into Denver. I'd ridden close to 28 hours straight and I was happy for the break.

Safe journey my friends. The COG National is in Cortez, CO next year, and if this dizzy crap I have been having takes leave, I will be riding the KLR out there to attend.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #29428
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 496
Well we transited Alhambra from 56 to 60. Very pretty.

Really a gorgeous place and I will be back.

I started up tower Rd and got a couple thousand feet into it and caught site of the towers 1000 feet above us and chickened out much to my passengers relief. I know the excursion would have made it but it wouldn't have been much fun.

Definitely going to come back with the XT and soon.

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #29429
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Nice work. Maybe some pin striping will add a positive affect. Off the subject, but why do most your block walls look really damp and wet despite being mostly above grade? You got a leaky gutter or something?
Bottom of the back wall is below grade. Roof slants to sides of the garage. I think it is capillary effect from the bit that is below ground. It always looks like that and it is only the back wall.

I agree it does need some pin strip or something to help delineate the lines of the body.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:04 PM   #29430
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

You should get that water away from your house. Add gutters and piping to get it as far away and down grade as possible. Correct the slope so it travels away. Especially at the clay layer beneath the soil/mulch That causes a lot of problems over time from settled foundations with cracking walls to other moisture and mold problems. If your garage had been finished out when it was built you would probably be seeing some mold and rot coming through the studs and drywall since it would be trapped in there and not dry as easily as it does now. My guess is your property gains elevation going away on the other side of that wall. Does not happen on the opposite wall since it naturally drains away from it. I have been dealing with very similar issues at work and with my wife's rental property. Just my 2 cents and I apologize for intruding on the man cave.