ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #29566
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyRR View Post
I survived and did not get stuck nor fell! Thanks to all for the feedback and encouragement. I'm on the stock tires so it honestly felt kind of squirrelly in a few spots. Panther falls was kinda rough with the washboard surface in a whole lot of areas. I stood for most of the off road stuff and the bike just soaked up the bumps but I was taking it pretty easy. I had visions of you guys flying sideways through the corners up there! lol
Any tire on a 100hp+ 500# bike in gravel is going to feel squirrelly. If you spend some time adjusting the suspension you can get that bike pretty good on the washboard stuff. Sideways is the proper way of steering that bike. Glad you had a good day of it. AB
Old 07-13-2014, 07:59 PM   #29567
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post

I'll meet you at Poes.. what is that, about 9-ish? I'm sporting 705's so no mud bogging.

How many ticks did you get, Dan? I think you won. I only got one. I am feeling sort of unloved which is better than itchy and scratchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB13 View Post
Any tire on a 100hp+ 500# bike in gravel is going to feel squirrelly. If you spend some time adjusting the suspension you can get that bike pretty good on the washboard stuff. Sideways is the proper way of steering that bike. Glad you had a good day of it. AB
What do you aim for when dialing in the suspension for washboard? I doubt my bikes have the necessary adjustability, but one day they might. Mostly getting the rear rebound at it's best? When I hit heavy washboard at a good clip it sometimes feels like I hit the brakes even though it is WFO.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #29568
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,127
No riding for me this weekend. I did pull the tank off the viffer and strip it. One coat of sandable primer at the moment.

Wish list for the moment includes lowering blocks for the pegs and genmar risers. That and finishing my paint and it should be ready for some long haul touring.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:07 AM   #29569
AB13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
How many ticks did you get, Dan? I think you won. I only got one. I am feeling sort of unloved which is better than itchy and scratchy.

What do you aim for when dialing in the suspension for washboard? I doubt my bikes have the necessary adjustability, but one day they might. Mostly getting the rear rebound at it's best? When I hit heavy washboard at a good clip it sometimes feels like I hit the brakes even though it is WFO.
Start with spring preload then play with rebound and compresion speed on front and rear. AB
Old 07-14-2014, 05:40 AM   #29570
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
How many ticks did you get, Dan? I think you won. I only got one. I am feeling sort of unloved which is better than itchy and scratchy...
It depends, is this like golf were lowest score wins? Because looks like I got zero. Ticks or chiggers. so far. although I'm getting itchy just typing this.

Thanks for leading me around, it was fun.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:53 AM   #29571
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
Suspension and Wed Ride

Suspension .... I have Ohlins on my GS and it was a huge difference from the OEM but I have never had them tuned by someone who knows what they are doing. I can adjust it fine for heavy loads but unloaded I can't seem to fine tune it for a smoother ride. Im guessing I need to find a more neutral setting that is adjustable either way. Any advise?

Wed ride ..... A front is coming through this week, cooling us off midweek. Anyone interested in a road trip on Wed? I'd like to get out and head west for some twisties.

chuck
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:15 AM   #29572
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,727
a friend has a HD 883 Sportster for sale, it's a 2012 with 1500 miles on it, priced right at $7500, they'll take $7000

yea, yea, I tried to talk him out of buying it in the first place. oh well.

they have tried CL, but only get overseas stuff trying to get them to place $1000 into an account to guarantee shipping

anybody know somebody interested in a little HD?

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:15 AM   #29573
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,454
I ended up selling my 883R on Ebay. Guy in Kentucky paid u-ship to come pick it up and he wired me the money. Pretty easy transaction.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:11 AM   #29574
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,016
Riding West this week

If you want an overnight, I know of a cabin that is sitting empty right now. The hay is still up, so camping is limited to near the house, but it's still free. Bonfire pit is waiting too. Did you see the moon last night?

Oh, and the dog keeps most of the bears away from the house. We did run into one up on the mtn last night, but it was just a yearling.

jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post

Wed ride ..... A front is coming through this week, cooling us off midweek. Anyone interested in a road trip on Wed? I'd like to get out and head west for some twisties.

chuck

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #29575
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos View Post
SNIP
Steeles Tavern B&B (I highly recommend this place. This is our second time there)
SNIP.
I thought they had closed down! Wifey and I stayed there 19 years ago - a church provided weekend get-a-way.

Really nice room, and the scrambled eggs at breakfast were amazing. (I got the recipie!)

J
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #29576
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,454
Jimmy, the new owners bought it in 2012 and it took them 6 months to re-do the place. It is really nice and the pond in the back holds some good sized bass ;)

This is our second time going there and it was just as nice.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:45 PM   #29577
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,657
So my GF and I are going camping the weekend of the 26th/27th up at Shenandoah (Big Meadows). Problem is, it looks like all the camp sites are booked.

Seems odd to me that every single site would be unavailable. Someone at work said that some of the sites are unavailable because they can't be reserved, but I just don't know, because I've never camped there before.

Any help?

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #29578
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakKrauStudios View Post

Seems odd to me that every single site would be unavailable. Someone at work said that some of the sites are unavailable because they can't be reserved...
From this .pdf:
Quote:
Obtaining a Campsite
Big Meadows Campground accepts reservations during peak seasons,
generally from late spring through early fall. It operates on a first-come,
first-served basis in early spring...
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:24 PM   #29579
BlakKrauStudios
I'm cool... right?

Oddometer: 1,657
Does anyone know if finding one of the "non reservable" sites is pretty easy?

2003 BMW F650GS Dakar
BlakKrauStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:27 PM   #29580
Banshee
hi

Oddometer: 6,145
does it have to be Big Meadows? there are multiple camp grounds in the park if that one doesn't work out.
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote