ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2014, 09:54 AM   #29761
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 274
Noticed some displaced gravel:

Then more skid marks:

Then this:

I called out, no answer. I climbed up to look inside, nobody there, but some blood on the door. Looks like someone climbed out. I searched around the area just to make sure someone wasn't thrown out and laying in the creek or something.

Man, did this look interesting. I started up there but came to a gate. Dangit!!
Old 07-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #29762
draley
Blue Ridge Yamasaki

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
Yeah, I was a bit nervous about these guys. Lots of talk about tickets and having gone down. Seems they have the going fast part down pretty quick but totally missed the don't out ride your sightlines and leave yourself some margin lessons. Bbulldog and I were already wondering when to bail on them and after lunch he found a good excuse to split off. Myself, well maybe I wanted to see the show so I just held back and ran my own pace.

Mostly this made me realize, I really like the group here. None of you are just about riding fast all the time and being Ricky racer. I forgot about the attitude that pervades most people with a moderately sporty bike. I honestly was just thinking of the thing as a nice sport tourer and wouldn't be as highly represented by squids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG2cux_6Rcw
Old 07-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #29763
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
...Mostly this made me realize, I really like the group here. None of you are just about riding fast all the time and being Ricky racer. I forgot about the attitude that pervades most people with a moderately sporty bike. I honestly was just thinking of the thing as a nice sport tourer and wouldn't be as highly represented by squids.
A day trip where 2/3 bikes go down sounds sketchy on the face of it. The one due to deer - you've got to give that guy a pass. Unexpected and hard to see gravel, that can get anybody too.

But I know what you mean, when certain folks consistently bring drama I start to shy away too.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #29764
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Yes. That was us.
I have always wanted to stop there, but never have. I do not think I have ever passed it when a bike was not parked there.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #29765
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Yeee-haw!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by draley View Post
Noticed some displaced gravel:

Then more skid marks:

Edit: Sweet looking S-10!
Old 07-27-2014, 01:09 PM   #29766
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
To change the suject and lighten up the rainy morning. The latest issue of Cycle World Adventure edition has a sweat WR250R showing adventure does not have to be big. It has a four point something IMS tank for a 300 mile range. Burtonrider take a look. I did not see it on their site but with the tank a some aftermarket fenders it looks sweet. It just needs 200 more cc for me.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll try and search for a digital copy.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #29767
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,521
Quote:

Overall view
[URL=http://s330.photobucket.com/user/jdgiacobbe/media/Ride%20Reports/IMG_20140726_150423.jpg.html]
That looks like the same corner I saw a CBR600 take a dive about 7 years ago.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:44 PM   #29768
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'll try and search for a digital copy.
If I see it again I'll buy a copy. I just finished my MCN.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #29769
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Sat around until 7 waiting for a friend of his to bring a pickup from Fredricksburg. Got his bike loaded about 7:15 and then got on my way home.
Jeremy! I wish I would have known. The family and I were RV-ing at Montibello Campground. I would have thrown an extra steak on the grill for you! Glad to hear that nobody needed an urgent orthopaedic consult!

I took the family for a drive in the truck today up Alhambra road, into BV to the usual Mexican restaurant we go to and then up the BRP back to Montibello to hook up the RV and head home. It was nice that they could finally see what I've been talking about all this time about how pretty Alhambra road is. The highlight of the day was seeing a big black bear sprint across the BRP right in front of us. I hit the brakes and we watched it climb up a surprisingly steep cliff with no trouble maybe 20 feet away from our truck.

It was awesome and kind of scary although he was probably more scared of our truck and trailer.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:15 AM   #29770
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,394
I love Montebello! That trout pond out front is a blast with the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post

I took the family for a drive in the truck today up Alhambra road, into BV to the usual Mexican restaurant we go to and then up the BRP back to Montibello to hook up the RV and head home. It was nice that they could finally see what I've been talking about all this time about how pretty Alhambra road is. The highlight of the day was seeing a big black bear sprint across the BRP right in front of us. I hit the brakes and we watched it climb up a surprisingly steep cliff with no trouble maybe 20 feet away from our truck.

It was awesome and kind of scary although he was probably more scared of our truck and trailer.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:23 AM   #29771
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,070
Quote:
Britishbulldog and I left Henrico at 7:45 this morning to meet up with a couple VFRs on 151 at 9AM. From there went south on 151 to 56 and had a fun but uneventful ride that eventually wound its way to Goshen for lunch. I had not been through Goshen pass before. Looked like a neat area I need to explore more.

After lunch BBdog split off to go attend a family function. That left myself, a rider on a 98 VFR and another rider on a blue 2013 VFR 1200. We went from there down to Buena Vista and did a quick run down 501 where the blue VFR rider split off to go go home to Danville. The 98 VFR and myself rode back 501, through Buena Vista and took the back way from there to Vesuvius.

By that time it was close to 3PM. I let the other VFR go first up 56 since he seemed much more willing to throw himself around blind turns at speed than I am. Well about half way up the mountain, I come around a turn and found he has just slid out on a patch of fine gravel and slid of the road into the ditch. Luckily he was wearing a full set of leathers and came away without more than a bruise or two. His poor VFR, lost both mirrors, clutch lever, scraped and cracked every piece of the fairing, bent the stay behind the front fairing down so it blocks the bars from turning right and pushed both front turn signals back through the front faring. The windshield was split in the middle. suffice it to say, while the bike was maybe a little raggedy at the start of the day, it was pretty f'ed at the end.Sat around until 7 waiting for a friend of his to bring a pickup from Fredricksburg. Got his bike loaded about 7:15 and then got on my way home.

Oh, and the blue VFR 1200 made it to within 10 miles of his home before a deer ran into the side of him and tore half the fairing off his bike. Rider managed to keep the bike up and not crash. He made it home fine sans half his tupperware. No injury.

So all told, out of 3 VFRs on the ride today, one made it home without damage. BBdog made it home safe too on his Hypermotard.
not surprised about 56 and stuff in the road. use to ride it all the time when I lived in the Valley. you have to be very careful in the winter and after storms on that road. plus the logging trucks toss shit into the middle.

glad he didn't get hurt
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:49 AM   #29772
ddlewis
squirrel

passed a new style adv-weestrom (looked like the factory kit) and a Triumph scrambler this morning. Riders attgatted up and bikes loaded for bear. headed 95N then 64W.

Wonder if it was anybody we know..
Old 07-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #29773
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,394
Edit SOLD - FWIW I'm selling an Iphone 4s 32gb (Verizon) with case in the flea market .... Comes with an Orange Lifeproof case.

manganos screwed with this post 07-28-2014 at 06:52 PM
manganos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #29774
ddlewis
squirrel

buy this bike

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/4537049354.html

Nice bike, owner leaving town soon for NZ needs to sell. Clean, runs and rides great.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:55 AM   #29775
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Does it come with the interceptor package?