ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #29986
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Anyways, I sanded all of the road rash with 150, 220 and then 400 grit. The remaining deeper rash was filled in with filler in a spray can. I again wet sanded everything down to 600. I used plastic approved primer from Lowe's and painted it using Rustoleum. I wet sanded the second coat with 1000 grit.

You should still do the Poor Man's S500 like Mickey did last year! He went for a road ride while we broke parts and bones in the woods!
The red part is your problem. You should of kept sanding with finer and finer sand paper before painting. At least 1000 would be a minimum for getting anything close to decent paint.

I may do the PMS 500 and a road oriented spectator but it depends on when and what I have going on then.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:55 PM   #29987
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Jeff, count me as in for the "men of lesser means" S500.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #29988
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Po Man's S500

Jeff, I'm interested in the Po Mans S500 but have many weekends booked in September and October with my boys XC team running schedule. I'll just have to see what weekend you guys decide upon and see if it works for me to join in. I'd be riding the GSA so would ride with the slower/big bike group. Thanks for offering to host this again!!
Old 08-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #29989
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,060
PMS is sticking! Too funny. Poor Man's Shenandoah. I hope I can make it and I hope Rimbenty, the man of many maps, can make it as well. Chuck, there are plenty of ADV routes. Also some that are not. Not as in Andrew would not do it. I want to at least see that one this time even if I turn back with my tail between my legs. Jarred, get that skid plate... $80 now or $$$ later... Chuck, I really don't get why you chose to stay home and get stuff done instead of driving in this beautiful weather. Up here in Ashland roads are still closed from flooding. An employee left half an hour a go and is till three miles away trying to find roads that are open. Floods, accidents, etc. A mini Gastone. Not sure how I am getting home. 95 South was backed up from Parham to Doswell. That's some good riding weather you missed out on. Endless creek crossings.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:15 PM   #29990
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Arrgh. We have got to change that name....

Yes, it is big bike friendly. Rimbenty had maps and GPS points, with A, B, and C routes on it. We break the groups down in skill level and willingness to get hurt categories. I always ride sweep because I like going slow on my GS. If people want to trailer small displacement bikes and do the dirt equivalent of zip'n'splats, that's fine too, but all the bikes do need to be street legal. Trust me, this is a very self paced weekend. Bail at any time, take any route you want, ride, don't ride, it's all good because it is a weekend in the mountains of West by God Virginia!

The date is to be determined by which weekend is best for the most riders.

jeff
I'm a probable ... I'm just not in to "Getting Dirty". I'm spending more time actually seeing what I used to just blow by in the past.

MADSTROM screwed with this post 08-12-2014 at 04:09 PM
MADSTROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #29991
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I may do the PMS 500 and a road oriented spectator but it depends on when and what I have going on then.
By all means plan on coming. Street, dirt, gravel, big bike, gold Wing, whatever, all are welcome as long as you play well with others. Everyone has to ride their own road. With more people, you are more likely to find someone to ride with at your own pace and comfort level.

The actual S500 is 4-5 October. I am unavailable the following weekend, 11-12 Oct. Might I suggest 18-19 Oct? Any later and it may get REALLY cold and be closer to the Black Ice Ride. Brrr.

Does anyone know when the Hunter Access Roads in the GWNF open?

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 08-12-2014 at 05:08 PM
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #29992
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,454
Hunter access roads on Department lands seasonally open to motor vehicles will be open (weather permitting) from the last Saturday in September to the 2nd Saturday in February and the 1st Saturday in April to the 3rd Saturday in May.
Opening and closing dates of hunter access roads on National Forest lands may vary by ranger district. Opening and closing dates are determined by management considerations for the areas accessed by these roads. Contact the local ranger district listed at left for opening and closing dates on specific roads.
Any motor driven vehicle using roads normally open to motor vehicles on Department and National Forest lands shall conform with all state laws for highway travel. No cross country travel is permitted. All terrain vehicle (ATV) and off-road vehicle (ORV) travel is permitted only on designated National Forest roads and trails.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #29993
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5392127.pdf

Looked up a couple we rode last year in the above document and found the date of 10-1. I have also read what manganos posted at some point. That language looks familiar and being that it is essentially opened for hunters, the Saturdays make sense. That would be the weekend preceding the S500 and they are not guaranteed to be open. I am not able the weekends of 10-4 or 10-18, but don't worry about me.

Edit/P.S.: I love how the map legend shows a series of dots for motorcycle only, yet there are nearly none in the maps. There is one in the far corner of the state and from what I have read you get there to a closed gate unsure if you should enter.

Dirtmonkey8 screwed with this post 08-12-2014 at 07:41 PM
Dirtmonkey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #29994
firedad415
trying to speak dirt

Oddometer: 142
Im interested in the PMS 500!
The settled upon date and ability to gain time off will determine my attendance.
1 John 1:3
firedad415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #29995
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 576
I might be in. Date dependant.

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:34 AM   #29996
Jeff Munn

Po'Boys S500 interested riders and dates?

Update

This is starting to get good. The list of potentials is growing.

Me, UncleR, Dirtmonkey8, Jgiacobbe, Eddy, Mattgoff, ddlewis, Boon Booni, burtonrider3889, Madstrom, firedad415, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Dirtdoctor, skychs, Dr. Whipit, MGinVa, Rimbenty the tour master!

The Hunters Access roads only open around 1 Oct.

Since the real S500 is 4-5 Oct that weekend is out.
My place is already booked for 11-14 Oct so that is out.
That leaves the next two weekends for it.

18-19 Oct
25-26 Oct

Any preferences? I know we can't pick a weekend that is 100% perfect for everyone, but let's try.

jeff

Jeff Munn screwed with this post 08-13-2014 at 08:30 PM
Old 08-13-2014, 06:51 AM   #29997
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Since the real S500 is 4-5 Oct that weekend is out.
I'd gladly skip the real S500 with 200 strangers to ride the PMS500 with 20 friends.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:46 AM   #29998
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

+1 on that. We need a medic, but hopefully will not need one. Were those temps last year normal? First morning about 22* I think?
Old 08-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #29999
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Thanks a lot Jeff. You and your farm rock!
Old 08-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #30000
Jeff Munn

Average temps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
+1 on that. We need a medic, but hopefully will not need one. Were those temps last year normal? First morning about 22* I think?
Unfortunately yes for 3000 ft elevation. The farther we get into October, the greater the chance of it being in the 20's at night. But it should get up to the 50's-60's during the day..... if it doesn't snow.

I'm all for begging Eddy to come with his med kit.

jeff