ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #30016
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,054
Rimbenty, I thought the S500 roads that were closed were do to budget crunching government shutdowns. The S500 was moved to county roads, but some gates were skirted? Were there damaged roads as well? If I remember correctly, the roads were open when we rode a week or two later?

Jeff, I have not heard back from him yet, but I am pretty sure my buddy Jeff Oliver that was the other Jeff on a 650L would want to come back. He was asking about it a couple of months ago.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #30017
firedad415
trying to speak dirt

Oddometer: 142
Trauma kit , first aid kit ------ tomato, tom`ato
most items used from a first aid kit are for use in traumatic injuries.... band aids, eye patch, gauze, tape, etc. Commercial kits usually throw in some aspirin or acetaminophen and alcohol pads and the like. I made up my own with splinting, wound care and the like in mind. I took what I felt like I needed and left out the fluff. Thats all. No major difference except amounts of items carried.
1 John 1:3
firedad415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #30018
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 853
Nirvana Has Been Reached

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/first-m...184000633.html

"I’m lost. I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:59 AM   #30019
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 331
One of the roads had a wash out and I think they were repairing/rebuilding a bridge on another. I believe I just made a shortcut to bypass them as they would have been late in the day on Sunday. I think it was just you, I and your buddy Jeff on Sunday anyway. Ended up not being a big deal.

There may be some roads that are closed due to budget or other reasons and we would want to know about those so I can adjust the tracks if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Rimbenty, I thought the S500 roads that were closed were do to budget crunching government shutdowns. The S500 was moved to county roads, but some gates were skirted? Were there damaged roads as well? If I remember correctly, the roads were open when we rode a week or two later?

Jeff, I have not heard back from him yet, but I am pretty sure my buddy Jeff Oliver that was the other Jeff on a 650L would want to come back. He was asking about it a couple of months ago.
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #30020
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,273
Quote:
What is the difference, if any, between a trauma kit and a first aid kit?
First Aid Kit: Gloves, Band-aids, Pepto-bismol, Motrin, tape, tweezers, Fisher-Price finger splint.

Trauma Kits: Gloves, Band-aids, Pepto-bismol, Motrin, tape, tweezers, Fisher-Price finger splint. PLUS:

A scary BIG needle for pneumothorax, IV fluid/tubing, clamps, strong led headlight, real splints, trauma scissors, several clotting pads, duct tape, torniquet, space blanket, stethoscope, tampons/maxi-pads (for bleeding holes in thorax and extremities!), flares or strong flashlight (for night time rescues), Epipen, abdominal trauma pad, sutures, lidocaine, and a SPOT. I'm sure there's something I've forgotten...
Old 08-14-2014, 07:48 AM   #30021
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
First Aid Kit: Gloves, Band-aids, Pepto-bismol, Motrin, tape, tweezers, Fisher-Price finger splint.

Trauma Kits: Gloves, Band-aids, Pepto-bismol, Motrin, tape, tweezers, Fisher-Price finger splint. PLUS:

A scary BIG needle for pneumothorax, IV fluid/tubing, clamps, strong led headlight, real splints, trauma scissors, several clotting pads, duct tape, torniquet, space blanket, stethoscope, tampons/maxi-pads (for bleeding holes in thorax and extremities!), flares or strong flashlight (for night time rescues), Epipen, abdominal trauma pad, sutures, lidocaine, and a SPOT. I'm sure there's something I've forgotten...
A 5th of Knob Creek
Old 08-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #30022
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
Overalls Jeff? Man he was a monster on that 650L. He is always welcome to come back.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #30023
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,054
Overalls and a hoodie riding out at 25• temps and would not have changed a thing. Yup. That's him. I still can't believe how fast he caught back up to is after he stopped for the accident.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:39 AM   #30024
firedad415
trying to speak dirt

Eddy, I like your style!

I do have a few of those items as well, including that big 14 guage! Although, clotting agents are hard to come by and not so cheap!
Old 08-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #30025
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedad415 View Post
clotting agents are hard to come by and not so cheap!
Do the brave soldier pads work for that?

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #30026
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
There was a time when I did a fair amount of firearms training. One training company was big into the whole trauma kit thing. They really impressed upon me the need for a trauma kit as well as a "boo-boo" kit. Very different things. That company ended up compiling a "blowout kit" which they called a "VOK" or "ventilated operator kit" and I picked up several and learned how to use them. I carry one on the bike at all times in addition to the boo-boo kit.

Link to VOK
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #30027
firedad415
trying to speak dirt

I have never heard of them, but a quick search doesn't appear to allude to clotting pads, agents, or powders.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #30028
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
I have never heard of them, but a quick search doesn't appear to allude to clotting pads, agents, or powders.
They are a bit skeptical of the clotting agents. They are not opposed to it but don't include it with the kit, leaving that up to the user to add if desired. For bleeding control, they are advocates of the tourniquet and stuffing the wound with gauze. The DVD they sell is a pretty good tutorial on how to use it all.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #30029
MGinVA
El Conquistador

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Although, clotting agents are hard to come by and not so cheap!
The camping/outdoors department at Walmart is a source, believe it or not. In addition to Quik Clot sponges, they sell an "Outdoor Wound Care Kit" that contains a couple small packets of Celox and a few bandages, etc. for less than $10.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #30030
firedad415
trying to speak dirt

Wow! Apparently, im out of the loop! Last time I used a procoagulant gauze was when i worked in the heart cath lab in 2004 and those things were expensive!