ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #30076
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
This one of the shafts that (I assume) a needle bearing rides on? If so, that sucks because those are machined surfaces and can't be replaced by any old bolt.

Good luck with it.

FWIW - I also have a press, heat gun(s), and a freezer you're welcome to use should you not want to ride all the way down to Jeff's in P'burg. Just give me a heads up to make sure I will be here.

I also have a lathe....but can't do metric threading.

81 XT/TT 500 83 BMW R80S (RT with S bits)
00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Sic Semper Tyrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #30077
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
I also have a lathe....but can't do metric threading.
I can't either, metric or SAE. Just haven't had the time, or gumption to take the time to give it a try.

One day...............

Old 08-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #30078
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
Madstrom,

We can meet at 60 and 522 Friday morning and ride out. Let me know if that works for you. Thank you for your suggestions and maybe I will have time to ride through Sherando as I have never even seen the area. I have seen pictures from friends and co-workers. Camping at Big Levels will not give us a cool bath, only a therapeutic hot mud spa without a shower. Probably a great camping spot in the fall when you can peer through the trees.

Sic Semper,

Bring the banjo. I wish I could play with you, but I surely cannot. I picked up a guitar a few years ago but found my digits are too short and stiff. I cannot reach a lot of chords. I t was frustrating and I put it down. I will pick it up again if my son ever starts playing.

DrWhipit,

Sounds good. Load that cooler up and I will give you cash. I can take us to some private offroad that is steep, tight and loose that will be a nice change from BL. I hope we have time to get there and Enchanted Creek. I bet that Yami is a hill climbing machine.
I've been on vacation this week, no taking next Friday off. Ill load up the night before work from home and roll by 3:30 though.. Charles if you'll bring extra grub I'm in w cash too. Anybody else leaving Fri afternoon
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #30079
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
This one of the shafts that (I assume) a needle bearing rides on? If so, that sucks because those are machined surfaces and can't be replaced by any old bolt.

Good luck with it.

FWIW - I also have a press, heat gun(s), and a freezer you're welcome to use should you not want to ride all the way down to Jeff's in P'burg. Just give me a heads up to make sure I will be here.

Thanks for the offer.
The shaft is what the bearings ride on so I need the correct one.

I'm going to have to use a press to get these in. The needle bearings are in a thin metal sleeve. I was able to get two of them in the linkage and flush to the side but damaged one trying to set the depth. They need to be set in the center with seals on each side.
The kit I ordered didn't come with the shock bearing so I ordered that and a replacement for the one I damaged. Once I get all of the parts in I'll send you a pm to find out when would be a good time to come by.
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:04 PM   #30080
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Standing off for anyone here. I won't do life and death parts but if you need a bracket made or something turned or machined. Pm me and let's put the tools to use. It is why I have them!

00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Old 08-17-2014, 07:13 AM   #30081
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,016
Richmond Va chatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgoff View Post
Offer still stands for me to sneak out there Wednesday or Thursday and setup a tent to hold our spot. PM me if you'd like someone to ride out with.

Chuck - it sounds like for the size of the crowd we want that same site we had last time (van accessible?)

Matt, that would be great if you can do it. It would ensure a better spot. You may risk a tent being stolen. Maybe you have a cheap one to stake the claim. Deep swimming hole is a plus. Spots for three or more hammocks. Long wheelbase accessible. Vehicles can possibly be parked nearby. I may be able to ride in with you, but more likely coming from the South.

Let's check the head count:

Skychs
Drwhipit
Ddlewis
Sic semper tyranis
Madstrom
Matt Goff
Biker128pedal
Dirtmonkey

Who did I forget? I am going from memory. We may need both of those last two sites. AB13, can you join?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #30082
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
Standing off for anyone here. I won't do life and death parts but if you need a bracket made or something turned or machined. Pm me and let's put the tools to use. It is why I have them!
I have a couple things I would like you to look at. PM on the way.
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #30083
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Matt, that would be great if you can do it. It would ensure a better spot. You may risk a tent being stolen. Maybe you have a cheap one to stake the claim. Deep swimming hole is a plus. Spots for three or more hammocks. Long wheelbase accessible. Vehicles can possibly be parked nearby. I may be able to ride in with you, but more likely coming from the South.

Let's check the head count:

Skychs
Drwhipit
Ddlewis
Sic semper tyranis
Madstrom
Matt Goff
Biker128pedal
Dirtmonkey

Who did I forget? I am going from memory. We may need both of those last two sites. AB13, can you join?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt and Dirtmonkey; thanks
Does anyone who plans on attending have a small portable grill? I plan on bringing meat but I don't have a small grill and I wouldn't want to risk going hungry because open - fire cooking ain't my bag. Oh yeah, chainsaw anyone?
Old 08-17-2014, 10:15 AM   #30084
Sic Semper Tyrannis

I am probably not going to make it but holding out hope.

00 ZRX 1100 XR 100 XR 20
Old 08-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #30085
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 917
Big Levels 23rd

Hey guys....
I'm done working tomorrow afternoon. Once again I'm planning on riding over to look for a good spot. Anyone available Tue or Wed and not afraid of the rain?

In regards to a grill .... All we really need is a grate, Fire wood and charcoal.

I missed all the gory first aid stories but I remember the Good Samaritan Law which protects you from helping someone in need unless you do something really stupid like open heart surgery. .
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #30086
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,016
We could move one of the grates from the Thai camping spot, if needed. I looked for those types of grates new a few years ago and could only come up with monstrosities you might use when building a campground. Only looked at Gander and Bass pro, but should have tried Walmart. A grate with legs and a couple bags of charcoal and we are set. Charcoal is not necessary, but makes it easier and faster.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:32 PM   #30087
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Hey guys....
I'm done working tomorrow afternoon. Once again I'm planning on riding over to look for a good spot. Anyone available Tue or Wed and not afraid of the rain?

In regards to a grill .... All we really need is a grate, Fire wood and charcoal.

I missed all the gory first aid stories but I remember the Good Samaritan Law which protects you from helping someone in need unless you do something really stupid like open heart surgery. .
Quote:
We could move one of the grates from the Thai camping spot, if needed. I looked for those types of grates new a few years ago and could only come up with monstrosities you might use when building a campground. Only looked at Gander and Bass pro, but should have tried Walmart. A grate with legs and a couple bags of charcoal and we are set. Charcoal is not necessary, but makes it easier and faster.
I really appreciate all the emphasis on the campsite selection. Skychs, when you posted that you were going up on Monday or Tuesday, I thought you meant last week but decided to go sailing instead.

Grill or grate, I'll get charcoal. It's just more predictable than firewood.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #30088
firedad415
dirt Noob

Oddometer: 125
I will likely not make the October trip... unless I quite working! No leave slots available.

1 John 1:3
firedad415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #30089
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Anyone have any experience with a Kawasaki Eliminator? ZL1000? I've got a lead on one. Apparently they only made them two years. Same 1000cc power plant that was in the Concours, but in a more standard cruiser-type frame. This one's in decent shape, but it being an 1987 and me having no garage ... it's worrisome.

I've also got a handle on 2007 KLR650 for a decent price. Despite my '11 shitting the bed, I still like the platform.

Stay tuned campers. (Not feeling the love from sport bikes, so I started looking in all the usual places again LOL!)

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #30090
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,521
ADV Moto Rally

Anyone going to this?:

http://advmotorally.com/

Pete P.