ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2014, 11:21 PM   #30301
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrider3889 View Post
Well technique really is key. That and a third iron. I was doing it 100% wrong, and the youtube video I was watching wasn't helping. Boonie had the first half on just by hand within all of 10 seconds. After that we spooned the rear on with no problems. The front I tried doing mostly by myself (at least I feel like I did. Maybe Boonie would tell a different story) . With what I had learned on the first I feel like I had it figured out ok. I think I could do it my by self on the next one. We hit a little snag with the bead on the front tire, but I think it's good now.

The bike feels completely different with the new sprocket. Way peppier. Can't wait to get it off road.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:42 AM   #30302
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by longslowdistance View Post
There used to be a converted yellow elephant near the parkway end, disappeared a few years back. Maybe there is another bus but I haven't seen or heard of one. There also was a tower on bald mountain and the short side road goes to the site, mostly used as a campsite now.
A side road goes to the Kennedy ridge trail, ho hum
An interesting side trip on foot is finding green pond, which is one of few or perhaps the only natural pond in VA.
Thanks for the heads up and information. After reading your post I dug around and found that there are other hiking trails that intersect 162 (BL) and a couple are within the first mile from the BRP. BING Maps has good imagery and while it does not have 162 marked you can pick out some of the trails including one up to Green Pond. I have now closed some of the tabs to the websites I was reading, but I remember one of the trails is open to mountain bikes going one direction. None of the trail intersections nor trail heads are marked. A person needs to know exactly where they are and where the desired trail is to ensure taking the correct trail (use a GPS).
Old 09-01-2014, 07:01 AM   #30303
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Finally got around to finishing a Laurel Fork vid. Part 1 is mostly Canaan Loop, kind of long (sorry) and stars Toddzacker, Halfplate, Dirtmonkey8, Rimbenty and me. From 13:10 to 13:35 we see Halfplate interact with some locals.
Part 2 is much shorter and muddier. Neither has music, just wind noise so kill the audio.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #30304
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Nice!
Old 09-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #30305
WayneJ
LFC/CCCCC

Oddometer: 5,056
Thanks for part two! I've been wondering if that road actually looked like I remember it did.
20% Smug Mug Credit
WayneJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #30306
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr WhipIt View Post
Finally got around to finishing a Laurel Fork vid. Part 1 is mostly Canaan Loop, kind of long (sorry) and stars Toddzacker, Halfplate, Dirtmonkey8, Rimbenty and me. From 13:10 to 13:35 we see Halfplate interact with some locals.
Part 2 is much shorter and muddier. Neither has music, just wind noise so kill the audio.
Very nice. The Canaan Loop is fun enough in good weather. That was a very manly ride in the wet.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #30307
Dr WhipIt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Very nice. The Canaan Loop is fun enough in good weather. That was a very manly ride in the wet.

jeff
Are you saying there are days it doesn't rain while dual-sport riding in West Virginia? I've never experienced that.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #30308
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 297
If anyone is interested I just ordered a Tourance rear tire (150/70R-17) from Rocky Mountain ATV. With their current discount code "PMJ14" it's $129.19 with free 3-day shipping.
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:34 AM   #30309
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Macon and Jeremy, you should be so proud of me. I finally ordered a skid plate! I spent $10 on a front sprocket since it was the only thing I hadn't replaced down there, and I saw for just $90 more I could have free shipping so I figured why not add a skid plate?
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #30310
Doorz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Anyone going to S500?

Taking the family and staying at site B3. Anyone else going?
Doorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #30311
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Macon and Jeremy, you should be so proud of me. I finally ordered a skid plate! I spent $10 on a front sprocket since it was the only thing I hadn't replaced down there, and I saw for just $90 more I could have free shipping so I figured why not add a skid plate?
That could of been $85 cheaper.
http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t9...ate-recipe-499
Old 09-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #30312
burtonrider3889
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorz View Post
Taking the family and staying at site B3. Anyone else going?
I am TECHNICALLY registered, but I can't leave both weekends so I'm just going to the PMS as I know everyone and had a great time last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I know we've already covered how mechanically retarded I am, but just to reinforce this I did try this about 7 months ago. Ended up not being able to get it bent all the way to where it needed to be. Eventually it snapped in half from cooling down too much. The one I bought will have better protection and an oil hole too.
2002 CR80R (SOLD)
burtonrider3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #30313
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

I should of put a smilie. I wasn't really serious about using a cutting board for a skid plate.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #30314
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
It will pay for itself one day. Wise investment. You ever score some good boots?
Old 09-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #30315
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
Thanks for part two! I've been wondering if that road actually looked like I remember it did.
It probably looked a bit different while it was raining on y'all!