ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #4711
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,395
Guy! I picked up a Springfield Armory GI, 1911-A1 with the rosewood grips, 3 mags, mag holster, gun holster, Springfield Armory loaded coupon, 50 rounds of ball ammo, 100 rounds of hollow point for $450 :)

I wanted a mil-spec but for $450 I think I did ok. The owner shot 35 rounds through it and put it in the safe. I found the deal on GlockTalk.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #4712
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos
Guy! I picked up a Springfield Armory GI, 1911-A1 with the rosewood grips, 3 mags, mag holster, gun holster, Springfield Armory loaded coupon, 50 rounds of ball ammo, 100 rounds of hollow point for $450 :)

I wanted a mil-spec but for $450 I think I did ok. The owner shot 35 rounds through it and put it in the safe. I found the deal on GlockTalk.
Good for you!

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #4713
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,701
I'm partial to my Auto Ordnance 1911...just don't clean it too much and everything is fine

File photo but I have Pachmayr grips plus a few goodies...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #4714
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by manganos

I'd say so. I luv my 1911, and the Crimson Trace lasergrips allow you to put it "spot" on.

I found an M14/M1A I'd been looking for, for waay too long. That'll round out my "military" collection for now. Should arrive at the FFL's next week.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:15 AM   #4715
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,043
Greenfly and whomever else is interested,

Per your conversation about the destruction of all the quality dirt and unimproved roads in Virginia. I knew that there had to be roads all over the state hidden away that were not on standard maps, so I began searching for a detailed map that showed road surface types. About a year ago I found that VDOT offers a comprehensive road “inventory” of the state. These road inventories are essentially maps but with one distinct difference. They give a detailed description of the road surface, as well as its route number not its name. They list every dirt, gravel, chip paved, tar paved, 2 lane, 4 lane road in the state. As far as I can tell they offer these to construction and engineering firms for planning, they are not designed for navigation. I ordered the complete inventory of the state which consists of appox 150-200 maps about the size of a standard state map. Each county has its own inventory with detail maps of every town, city, wide spot in the road, etc, etc…. These things are so detailed it is staggering. Greenfly – it takes 5 maps to cover Chesterfield alone and there are a surprising number of “unimproved” roads hidden away!!! I have not had time to really sit down with them and go over everything in detail, there is so much information it is hard to follow. These inventories make the Delmore topos look like an interstate overview map. The only thing they do not cover are national lands. They only cover state maintained roads so as soon as the road moves into a nation forest you have to switch maps. I will bring them to the Jeff’s Saturday if anyone wants to take a look.

--Mud

Here is the link to order, since I ordered them it looks like they now offer a bound book. I would highly suggest the book, I keep mine a box and have to consistently search the index to figure out which map I need the book would be much easier.
http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/re...order-form.pdf
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #4716
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,964
Info needed

If any of you gun nuts knows of a cheap place to pick up some 7.62x39, please PM me. Thx.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:16 AM   #4717
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,938
PM 6USMC6, our resident firearms guru.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #4718
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

I used to pick up similar (county) maps from the local VDOT office when I lived up in Lynchburg (Rte. 501 just past the 460 cloverleaf). I was using them for road rallies the local sports car club was putting on. Glad to see they're still available.

Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudmanajl
Greenfly and whomever else is interested,

Per your conversation about the destruction of all the quality dirt and unimproved roads in Virginia. I knew that there had to be roads all over the state hidden away that were not on standard maps, so I began searching for a detailed map that showed road surface types. About a year ago I found that VDOT offers a comprehensive road “inventory” of the state. These road inventories are essentially maps but with one distinct difference. They give a detailed description of the road surface, as well as its route number not its name. They list every dirt, gravel, chip paved, tar paved, 2 lane, 4 lane road in the state. As far as I can tell they offer these to construction and engineering firms for planning, they are not designed for navigation. I ordered the complete inventory of the state which consists of appox 150-200 maps about the size of a standard state map. Each county has its own inventory with detail maps of every town, city, wide spot in the road, etc, etc…. These things are so detailed it is staggering. Greenfly – it takes 5 maps to cover Chesterfield alone and there are a surprising number of “unimproved” roads hidden away!!! I have not had time to really sit down with them and go over everything in detail, there is so much information it is hard to follow. These inventories make the Delmore topos look like an interstate overview map. The only thing they do not cover are national lands. They only cover state maintained roads so as soon as the road moves into a nation forest you have to switch maps. I will bring them to the Jeff’s Saturday if anyone wants to take a look.

--Mud

Here is the link to order, since I ordered them it looks like they now offer a bound book. I would highly suggest the book, I keep mine a box and have to consistently search the index to figure out which map I need the book would be much easier.
http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/re...order-form.pdf
Old 01-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #4719
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,938
Yeah you can ususally find them at the VDOT booth during the county fairs. I made a map using the VGIN Road Center Line (RCL) file for Rockingham County of only dirt roads for the Cat Herders.
PRINTABLE MAP LARGE MAP
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:46 AM   #4720
manganos
Let me pontificate.

Oddometer: 3,395
Jeff. Try looking for ammo on www.vaguntrader.com when the site comes back up lol. Figures I told two people id buy guns from them and the site goes down lol
Old 01-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #4721
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn
If any of you gun nuts knows of a cheap place to pick up some 7.62x39, please PM me. Thx.
Define "cheap."

You want brass case, or is poly coated steel OK?

I've been a big fan of Brown Bear for my AK, but may change my tune once my AR-style 7.62 upper gets in.

I get a lot of my ammo from AimSurplus. Ammoman also has pretty good deals and the prices include shipping.

I can't give you links 'cause the net-nannies block access to gun sites.

Fix'd!!

Guy Young screwed with this post 01-27-2010 at 10:17 AM
Guy Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #4722
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Gerbing's Jackets on sale

A fellow COG member who attended the ride this past Saturday stumbled upon this sale.

http://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Gerbing_s_Heated_Jacket_Liner_p/11700g.htm

Gerbing's heated clothing never sells at a discounted price, so this is one heck of a deal if you've ever considered getting heated clothing.

These are going on sale because this version of their jacket is being discontinued to make room for their ones with "Microwire" technology.

No affiliation; just passing along the opportunity.

Guy

Old 01-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #4723
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
That is a really good deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young
A fellow COG member who attended the ride this past Saturday stumbled upon this sale.

http://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Gerbing_s_Heated_Jacket_Liner_p/11700g.htm

Gerbing's heated clothing never sells at a discounted price, so this is one heck of a deal if you've ever considered getting heated clothing.

These are going on sale because this version of their jacket is being discontinued to make room for their ones with "Microwire" technology.

No affiliation; just passing along the opportunity.

Guy

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #4724
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars
That is a really good deal!
Dan, the fella with the clean C14, sent that to me this morning.

I'm already Gerbings-ized, so I'm set.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:53 AM   #4725
MacDad77
Giddy Newcomer

Oddometer: 125
Thumb

Guy: thanks for the link! come on tax refund!

Jeff: I'll see if I can make it Saturday. I'll come prepared as I can with whatever I can scrounge up.(Ivy might have more of her home-made salsa!)

Hope to see everyone there!

Christian
MacDad77 is offline   Reply With Quote