ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #8701
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,742
Ok so here is the new green baby. 1466 miles, it is a baby.

And the happy boy. Usually you can't get him to smile.

We lucked up and got a great deal on an almost new bike. The air filter is so clean, it's a shame.

Merry Christmas

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #8702
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
That is one lucky boy...gonna be an entire different ride for him.
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #8703
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,493
Wow. I think I saw that bike for sale. I didn't realize it was that clean. What a deal! Your son looks happy!
Old 12-20-2010, 04:19 AM   #8704
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
Ok so here is the new green baby. 1466 miles, it is a baby.

And the happy boy. Usually you can't get him to smile.

We lucked up and got a great deal on an almost new bike. The air filter is so clean, it's a shame.

Merry Christmas
Nice!!! He'll have fun with that.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:20 AM   #8705
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,742
Yeah, it was on CL for 3 grand. I made a low ball offer and got it. But the battery was dead and it hadn't been started since August. A marine shipped to Japan was selling it but his buddy a sargent too, was doing the deal and he had been gone and it wasn't his bike. I made a low offer and then felt bad because the seller was one of our boys. You gotta love a marine, if only because our enemies hate them so. In the end, I was back within $100 of the original offer becuase it wouldn't start or run. The air filter was sooo clean it was almost new, you could tell it was just used to get back and forth to the base.

Last night the battery charged nicely but the carb is stopped up. Got it off and didn't have carb cleaner and I was learly of using too much gun scrubber with little rubber and plastic parts and only got the main jet clean.
We'll see it I can get it running tonight. It's too tall for him at this point but he's growing like a weed, by spring and a little adjusting we'll see.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:22 AM   #8706
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

My ever present companion

Chopper, keeping an eye out for cats and squirrels while I'm finishing up the gas and electrical connections to the heater. Will call for tank delivery today.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:31 AM   #8707
Kyazak
Gamera!!

Oddometer: 105
anybody know a good place where there is a good beginning motorcycle maintenance and/or repair class? just something to give you all the basics and such, I know nothing, and all of these problems with my Ural tires are becoming a serious headache, and Wallet-ache. the 4 Heidenau tires alone are gonna cost me $520 and I will probably get charges around $100 to have them put on, and thats $100 i could save in the future if I just learn what am doing and how to replace tire tubes, tires, and mount them. Balancing is easy, just check for the heaviest point and set it opposite to the ground is what i have been told, But I don't know and that's the problem. Even if it is somebody willing to show me the way around a bike in free time, it's worth it.
Kyazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:33 AM   #8708
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer View Post
Yeah, it was on CL for 3 grand. I made a low ball offer and got it. But the battery was dead and it hadn't been started since August. A marine shipped to Japan was selling it but his buddy a sargent too, was doing the deal and he had been gone and it wasn't his bike. I made a low offer and then felt bad because the seller was one of our boys. You gotta love a marine, if only because our enemies hate them so. In the end, I was back within $100 of the original offer becuase it wouldn't start or run. The air filter was sooo clean it was almost new, you could tell it was just used to get back and forth to the base.

Last night the battery charged nicely but the carb is stopped up. Got it off and didn't have carb cleaner and I was learly of using too much gun scrubber with little rubber and plastic parts and only got the main jet clean.
We'll see it I can get it running tonight. It's too tall for him at this point but he's growing like a weed, by spring and a little adjusting we'll see.
I would also pull out the pilot jet and mixture needle (keeping an eye out for the small washer and o-ring that are in the bore), and the main jet holder. There are small pin holes in it that can become clogged.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:54 AM   #8709
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyazak View Post
anybody know a good place where there is a good beginning motorcycle maintenance and/or repair class? just something to give you all the basics and such, I know nothing, and all of these problems with my Ural tires are becoming a serious headache, and Wallet-ache. the 4 Heidenau tires alone are gonna cost me $520 and I will probably get charges around $100 to have them put on, and thats $100 i could save in the future if I just learn what am doing and how to replace tire tubes, tires, and mount them. Balancing is easy, just check for the heaviest point and set it opposite to the ground is what i have been told, But I don't know and that's the problem. Even if it is somebody willing to show me the way around a bike in free time, it's worth it.
Lots of good advice and help can be found on message boards like this and a maintenance book of some sorts goes a long way. I have just recently started being active on this board but in the past I have had maintenance days at my house for another message board. I am sure I will have something in the spring and put it up on here. The maintenance days are great because you have a lot of people to help out and many different jobs going on. If you need something sooner I would be more than willing to assist in any way I can. I don't claim to know much about those crazy Urals though :)
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:59 AM   #8710
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Kyazak, one of the things rolling around in my list of things to do is to set up such a course. This would probably be taught over an 8-10, or so, session period. Unfortunately, there would be a fee.

I taught Motorcycle Maintenance and Repair, and Small Engine Repair classes at Central Virginia Community Classes for a couple of years when I was living in Lynchburg, and they were very popular. They asked me to take over the Automotive Dept., but I refused the offer. Told them I had no interest in auto mechanics.

I'm still a number of weeks out from even thinking about putting this in place, but just thought I'd mention it.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:19 AM   #8711
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Kyazak, one of the things rolling around in my list of things to do is to set up such a course. This would probably be taught over an 8-10, or so, session period. Unfortunately, there would be a fee.

I taught Motorcycle Maintenance and Repair, and Small Engine Repair classes at Central Virginia Community Classes for a couple of years when I was living in Lynchburg, and they were very popular. They asked me to take over the Automotive Dept., but I refused the offer. Told them I had no interest in auto mechanics.

I'm still a number of weeks out from even thinking about putting this in place, but just thought I'd mention it.

I'd be interested in attending as well, and willing to pay.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:39 AM   #8712
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
I'd be interested in attending as well, and willing to pay.

I’ll keep you all posted once I develop the curriculum and have things in place.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:55 AM   #8713
Kyazak
Gamera!!

Oddometer: 105
@Guy Young: I am all about it. Please keep me updated, I would love it.

It's one thing reading it from a book for me, but quite another to actually do it in person with a person who has that skill showing me parts and pieces. I learn from breaking and fixing stuff, not reading on how to break and fix stuff, it's how I learned to program computers. To get my hands dirty working over the parts and pieces, and If I don't know what I am doing with said pieces and parts.......that can equal bad things. For me, when I ride, or more importantly, for my fiance whenever she is in the sidecar. I will happily take risks with me, just not with my lady. I am sure you all understand on that point. So anybody trying to do a get together and work on bikes is awesome, and if it helps at all, my parents have a good size place out by bottoms bridge, lots of wide space, and plenty of awesome riding ground behind their house and the countryside right around their place. I will provide the ground, the food, Hell, tell me your alcoholic poison of choice, I would even provide that, and some cash to boot. I just want to learn how to keep up with my baby, at better than $85/hour rates in someone else's hands, and still not know how to even change a freaking tire. My new tires (Heidenau K37's) that are replacing the tires that were bad out of the factory, are gonna cost me $520 not counting the mounting work, HD tubes ill run me about $50, again not counting mounting and placing, and my new high pipes are gonna cost me $450, also not counting mounting work and all. so probably end up costing $1350, or close to that. knowing how to mount and replace that stuff would cut that cost down quite a bit, and it's not even counting the cost to re-jet my carbs. That is at least 2 paychecks to clear that money to go to the bike.

It's KILLING me!
Kyazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:07 AM   #8714
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
Quote:
If you haven't already done so, join the Russian Iron Board a good group of knowledgeable folks that should be able to answer all your questions on all things Ural. I bought some Ural tires and tubes from Heindl Engineering for my Ural. I haven't had any problems with my original tires and I'm still riding on the original tires (2007) and they have 8500 miles on them now. I have been planning on getting with Niceviewbehindbars to get them changed out but haven't got around to it yet. It passed inspection so I have some wiggle room for now.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:18 AM   #8715
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Not to take away from Guy's future.....I taught a course threw the Arlington Co school system for 10 yrs, back when bikes had points and tires had tubes.

It was rather inexpensive for the student, but the student needed to supply his/her own tools. It was 3 hrs once a week for 10 weeks. Most everyone could master tire/wheel/tube changing, setting the points and advance, changing oil and balancing the carbs when they were done.

We then started and advance class, with a hand full of people showing up with basket cases, over the period of 2 or 3 - 10 week terms there were a fair amount of vintage old stuff running quite nicely.

Might want to check with your local county adult education program, the classes fill up really fast.