ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #9886
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwray76 View Post
Should be at our factory in Halle.

If I recall correctly from my last trip I need to get an international drivers permit from AAA http://www.aaa.com/Vacation/idpf.html ??? I didn't have enough time to get it all lined up last time, but I should be able to this time. Anyone know if there is anything else required?
I've never had one on my multiple trips over, but, then again, I was always traveling on military orders.

Mmmmmmmm. Schnitzel mit pommes!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #9887
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceviewbehindbars View Post
Anyone know if tags are required for towing a trailer behind a motorcycle? I would assume they are but wasn't totally sure.
Well, you stumped me on this one and I was curious so I called the State Police and asked them. The lady that answered the phone didn't know, nor did the trooper who was on duty! They are going to look into it and call me back with the state code number that covers motorcycle trailer laws. If a plate is NOT required, having a copy of the code in your saddlebag would certainly help during a traffic stop by any government sponsored pirates.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #9888
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Well, you stumped me on this one and I was curious so I called the State Police and asked them. The lady that answered the phone didn't know, nor did the trooper who was on duty! They are going to look into it and call me back with the state code number that covers motorcycle trailer laws. If a plate is NOT required, having a copy of the code in your saddlebag would certainly help during a traffic stop by any government sponsored pirates.
I started to answer "yes," but then started looking into the Code and couldn't find anything specific so cancelled my reply.

My Cyclemate CM1000 is titled, so I guess I assumed it required registration and a plate..... or DMV told me it required a plate or simply issued same. Don't remember; been too long.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #9889
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Thanks for doing that! I have a feeling they require tags. The state doesn't want to miss out on that $ and technically the trailer could be towed behind a car.

However, I know that equipment that can be towed, such as log splitter & stump grinders don't require plates/registration.

I'm thinking about getting a little trailer to tow around. I'm not sure why other than the fact that it is just cool. This is the one I am looking at. It's made in SC where trailers don't have tags. So I wanted to make sure I get a certificate of origin if I get it.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #9890
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Quote:
Anyone know if tags are required for towing a trailer behind a motorcycle? I would assume they are but wasn't totally sure.
Per VSP Trooper Gobble (who is in the state inspection program!), "DMV laws can be very vague and confusing even to a VA state trooper." Per him, "Motorcycles are a grey area because of the definition of a trailer in code 46.2-100", which defines a trailer as something that is pulled by a motor vehicle or RV, "NOT A MOTORCYCLE, which is considered as a separated type of vehicle by DMV." Huh!? "There are laws that pertain to motorcycles that don't pertain to motor vehicles." (Sigh! confused yet?! And I wonder why I went into medicine vs law!)

His advice is to call a Virginia based motorcycle trailer dealer and ask them what they are doing. The general consensus is that "the small amount of money spent on a plate may save you a lot of time standing on the side of the road with a law enforcement officer."

46.2-100: "Trailer" means every vehicle without motive power designed for carrying property or passengers wholly on its own structure and for being drawn by a motor vehicle, including manufactured homes. (Per him, a m/c is NOT considered a motor vehicle by law, it is a "motorcycle". Sounds strange to me too but that's what he said, but read below.)

"Motor vehicle" means every vehicle as defined in this section that is self-propelled or designed for self-propulsion except as otherwise provided in this title. Any structure designed, used, or maintained primarily to be loaded on or affixed to a motor vehicle to provide a mobile dwelling, sleeping place, office, or commercial space shall be considered a part of a motor vehicle. For the purposes of this title, any device herein defined as a bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, or moped shall be deemed not to be a motor vehicle.
"Motorcycle" means every "motor vehicle" designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and is capable of traveling at speeds in excess of 35 miles per hour (sorry all you hot rod scooter riders!). The term "motorcycle" does not include any "electric personal assistive mobility device," "electric power-assisted bicycle," "farm tractor," "golf cart," "moped," "motorized skateboard or scooter," "utility vehicle" or "wheelchair or wheelchair conveyance" as defined in this section.

Disregard everything above and read below!

So, it sounds like a motorcycle IS a motorvehicle after all!

1420 hrs: Trooper Gobble called DMV headquarters and called me back. Final ruling is that it DOES need to be registered! "It will be $18/year for trailers weighing up to 1500 pounds! (Holy smokes, what kind of bike could pull a trailer weighing over 1500 pounds, and who would have the balls to do it?!)

See what you started!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 11:23 AM
Eddy Alvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #9891
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Per VSP Trooper Gobble, "DMV laws can be very vague and confusing even to a VA state trooper." Per him, "Motorcycles are a grey area because of the definition of a trailer in code 46.2-100", which defines a trailer as something that is pulled by a motor vehicle or RV, "NOT A MOTORCYCLE, which is considered as a separated type of vehicle by DMV." Huh!? "There are laws that pertain to motorcycles that don't pertain to motor vehicles." (Sigh! confused yet?! And I wonder why I went into medicine vs law!)

His advice is to call a Virginia based motorcycle trailer dealer and ask them what they are doing. The general consensus is that "the small amount of money spent on a plate may save you a lot of time standing on the side of the road with a law enforcement officer."

46.2-100: "Trailer" means every vehicle without motive power designed for carrying property or passengers wholly on its own structure and for being drawn by a motor vehicle, including manufactured homes. (Per him, a m/c is NOT considered a motor vehicle by law, it is a "motorcycle". Sounds strange to me too but that's what he said, but read below.)

"Motor vehicle" means every vehicle as defined in this section that is self-propelled or designed for self-propulsion except as otherwise provided in this title. Any structure designed, used, or maintained primarily to be loaded on or affixed to a motor vehicle to provide a mobile dwelling, sleeping place, office, or commercial space shall be considered a part of a motor vehicle. For the purposes of this title, any device herein defined as a bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, or moped shall be deemed not to be a motor vehicle.
"Motorcycle" means every "motor vehicle" designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and is capable of traveling at speeds in excess of 35 miles per hour (sorry all you hot rod scooter riders!). The term "motorcycle" does not include any "electric personal assistive mobility device," "electric power-assisted bicycle," "farm tractor," "golf cart," "moped," "motorized skateboard or scooter," "utility vehicle" or "wheelchair or wheelchair conveyance" as defined in this section.

So, it sounds like a motorcycle IS a motorvehicle after all!
Thanks again for calling them.

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #9892
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,040
I am no law professor but it sounds like motorcycles are considered motor vehicle as well as motorcycle. It reads like all laws pertaining to motor vehicles also pertain to motorcycles as well as the additional laws that are motorcycle specific. Almost like a motorcycle is a sub category of motor vehicles. I have learned that with dmv related laws when you are doing something out of the ordinary your are better off just to cover all your bases and hope you get it right. In addition highway patrolmen don't like to be told that their ignorance of the law doesn't constitute reasonable suspicion. So if you are doing something that is on the "line" in their eyes they are going to write you a ticket for something / anything. At the end of the day the sate is going to get their money either before or after the fact.
---Edit: That sounds like a rant, you can tell its tax season, ---- rant over

-- I do know that if the "trailer" is equipment it does not require title, plates, or even lights in many cases. I.E. log splitters, mixers, sprayers, etc...
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:45 AM   #9893
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
I think this bike could pull more than 1500 pounds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E90oOf7YIvI

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #9894
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Unfortunately, I can't see it until at home tonight! It may be full of nasty viruses waiting to destroy our system here at work!

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 12:40 PM
Eddy Alvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #9895
Downer
Downer

Oddometer: 207
Just moved back.

I just moved back from over 4 years in Western Germany. I would be happy to give you some insight from my experience. PM me if you would like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwray76 View Post
Got the news this morning that I just scored a new internal position with my company This means a trip to Germany for a few weeks in the near future...need to get a weekend motorcycle rental lined up now!
Downer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #9896
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for doing that! I have a feeling they require tags. The state doesn't want to miss out on that $ and technically the trailer could be towed behind a car.

However, I know that equipment that can be towed, such as log splitter & stump grinders don't require plates/registration.

I'm thinking about getting a little trailer to tow around. I'm not sure why other than the fact that it is just cool. This is the one I am looking at. It's made in SC where trailers don't have tags. So I wanted to make sure I get a certificate of origin if I get it.

THAT, is one nice looking trailer. Not much utility value since it's wide open, but nice looking none-the-less.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #9897
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Looking for an open flatbed trailer in the Richmond area

that has a load capacity of at least 2000 lbs.

I will be picking up this puppy at a local terminal and I need to get it to my house, er, garage. It will be mounted on a 4' x 4' pallet. Probably looking at the latter part of the week. Shipping Monday from Joisey.

If not just the trailer, but a truck/driver with the trailer. I will gladly pay you for your time and gas/diesel.

Please PM me if you can help.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #9898
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Guy, it's been less than a year and you already need a bigger garage!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #9899
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
I think this bike could pull more than 1500 pounds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E90oOf7YIvI

LOL! I'd like to see that Prius cut me off on Chippenham if I had this! $300,000 would buy a very nice GS and a heck of a lot of road trips!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #9900
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,666
Guy - I coulda made you a heck of a deal on a Bridgeport back when I closed our manufacturing office....that looks the biz for sure!
Your never gonna leave the garage now....
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote