ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #11506
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 855
New GS

Hey Eddy,
Congrats on the new GS. Its a monster but before you know it you will be tearing up the twistys and looking for forest roads.

I got my stitches out today from my shoulder surgery. Im still black and blue but believe it or not, I'm in very little pain. Physical therapy three times a week. Back on two wheels soon. :-)
chuck
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #11507
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,742
Eddy,

The racers all talk about "hanging off" in the corners. Well I've been "hanging off" in parking lots and at stop lights for years. Yup, if I don't hang off my left butt cheek I might not touch the ground. I say leave it high and hang off! Of course a manly pair of Kiss boots might help too.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 08-08-2011 at 05:51 PM
Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #11508
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,935
The thought of selling my strom keeps popping into my head. I really want to test ride a klx250s or sf. Anyone think I could get $5200 for the strom? Anyone nearby have a klx250 they'll let me test ride?

I like my strom but it only wants to do long trips. I'm missing my old ninja 250 because it was so fun arround town. I probably need to hold onto the strom though and just buy a small ds next winter.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #11509
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,742
jgiacobbe,

Yeah we have one but it needs some TLC after the boy rode it out west. Brush buster busted, bent lever, I haven't got around to putting it all right. My bikes come first right? But give me a couple of weeks and you can try it out.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #11510
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm not in a hurry. I've just been eye balling them for a bit. I want to test drive one before I think about putting any of my finances towards it.

Like I said, I should probably just save up over the winter and keep the strom too.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:47 AM   #11511
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiacobbe View Post
I really want to test ride a klx250s or sf.

watch for a used WR250R. amazing bike with FI and a 6 speed.

rat Versys heading west and north. the heck with this heat, might be snow up there.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:00 AM   #11512
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Chuck,good to hear you're mending well.I've got the quick release screws for you for the Garmin 550.I'll get them to you next week when things slow down a little.

Karl, good to see you again yesterday by happen chance.You never know where us ADVers will turn up.We've eaten there at Bella Italia for lunch alot over the past 20 years...they do a good job.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:08 AM   #11513
Kyazak
Gamera!!

Oddometer: 105
Now that I finally have internet again, I can actually respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
I haven't had any trouble with my 2007 Ural other than it wouldn't start a couple of weeks ago. Turned out it was one the 12V relays under the seat. $1.99 fix from the auto parts store.

Kyazak, is your 2010 Ural under warranty?

cheers,

j
Yeah, she is covered under warranty, but I took the time to actually deep clean as best as possible both the heads, the seepage was on the driver side head bottom, but after I cleaned her off, did a check and a quick diagnostic ride to see if i was dripping so no problems, think it was just the hot as hell day and the fact I had to push her to about 60 on the road or get run over by 3 a**holes in ford trucks who thought it would be funny to tail a urals and flash lights. Trying to figure out how to fix the problems myself rather than whine to a shop that will overcharge, because they claim Urals as EXOTICS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306 View Post
Where in DC, I work in the h*ll hole. 142 miles round trip a day.

Check Arlington, Alexandria and Fairfax Co. adult education. I taught a M/C course in Arlington Co. from 78 till 88 down off Glebe Rd headed toward RT 1 from Rt 395, can't remember the name of the school, it was a high school back then.

I'm heading for a weeks vacation this afternoon but will be back to work on the 15th and will be happy to assist you or stop by and look at the problem and hopefully a solution to the oil leak.

You haven't over filled it with oil have you? The newer Urals are pretty reliable as long as you don't push them to hard.
Hey, your commute sounds almost as fun as mine! 100 Miles round trip a day, from stafford to Dulles Airport, M-F 0:00 - 8:00

I think I may have overfilled a little much, I m learning that when she is cold, a good stop point for oil seems to be closer to 1/2 full rather than 3/4 full.

If you want to meet up closer to DC or run a course we can set something up, I will try to make sure it is something I can do. Jeff Munn was incredibly nice enough to offer me something along those lines a while back, I agreed and set up plans before I checked that work would release me, and ended up flaking on Jeff, Not intentionally at all. Then ended up getting sick so that made my riding out of commission for at least 6 months as i healed(non bike related, just born without a certain plate of bone in my skull, so I get sinus infections and meningitis really easily, or was until they started to fix it with bone paste, a story for another time)

I will PM you my full name and number and maybe we can meet up if you are still okay with the idea? Since my test ride worked out, I am riding with my buddy will, The manager of Fallout and some of the other guys from fallout that setup the big Dice Ride that happened on the weekend of July 4th a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Having ridden and been around airheads for the last 15 years or so, I'd say a little seepage is normal.

How bad is it? Did the bike just leave you on the side of the road? What was the issue?
Actually didn't even notice it till I got home in fact. I would have responded to the forum stuff, but I had no Internet at the house for the weekend, because Verizon apparently just likes F**king with their customers.

This Weekend I wanted to do a ride in Richmond, Hoping for Saturday, Maybe Friday if it gets cr@ppy weather on saturday, but that shouldn't happen until later afternoon. The wife and I are going to be in town anyway for a friends wedding, and Didn't know if any of y'all would be up for some nice non highway riding, because my blondi has a big @ss and doesn't like to go over 50 if she can help it. She can, just doesn't like it. Anybody up for it?

Just PM me and I will let the guys know, at the very least It will be good to have a ride in Richmond area again. Maybe eat up for a bite in the morning then a ride down 360 to Tappahanock. I missed the last couple things y'all did down in richmond, so I was hoping to have a good ride this weekend.

Weather for Richmond This Weekend

(I am done with my novel of a response now guys)
Kyazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:59 AM   #11514
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
watch for a used WR250R. amazing bike with FI and a 6 speed.

rat Versys heading west and north. the heck with this heat, might be snow up there.
I was drooling over those a little too but, they have something of a premium price and I never see one on CL so I figure that the chances of finding one when I decide to buy another bike is slim. I have not sat on a WR but the one I've seen seems big for a 250. I've read the reviews and know that the Yami is faster and taller but also more expensive. I've also heard the klx is pretty corked and rejetting and few other tweaks can have a huge difference.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:25 AM   #11515
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,044
Jeremy,
The WR is a bad little machine! Don't limit your search to the local CL, use Searchtempest.com, cycle trader and eBay. I think you are right to keep the V-strom. It would be nice for 500-1000 mile weekend trips.
Good luck!
Old 08-09-2011, 05:31 AM   #11516
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,855
Quote:
I was drooling over those a little too but, they have something of a premium price ...
Just start looking and be patient. Took me months to find one cheap, but it was worth it.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:45 AM   #11517
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,856
Saw 2 recently CL posted WR's. One in NC and one in PA.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #11518
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
Chuck,good to hear you're mending well.I've got the quick release screws for you for the Garmin 550.I'll get them to you next week when things slow down a little.

Karl, good to see you again yesterday by happen chance.You never know where us ADVers will turn up.We've eaten there at Bella Italia for lunch alot over the past 20 years...they do a good job.
Greg, I assume the ones you got for Chuck are knurled-types to replace the original security types? If so, where did you get them??
Old 08-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #11519
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
I've been hunting for a well farkled Wee, when you decide if and when your going to sell give me a call with the details of your Wee.

Quote:
The thought of selling my strom keeps popping into my head. I really want to test ride a klx250s or sf. Anyone think I could get $5200 for the strom? Anyone nearby have a klx250 they'll let me test ride?

I like my strom but it only wants to do long trips. I'm missing my old ninja 250 because it was so fun arround town. I probably need to hold onto the strom though and just buy a small ds next winter.
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #11520
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,044
Road trip!

Jeremy, I predict a ROAD TRIP in your near future!

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/mcy/2534500367.html