ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2011, 05:24 AM   #12211
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 901
Weekend Ride

Thanks go out to Nice View, Half Plate, Madstrom, Dirt Doctor and Eddy for a great overnight Friday and early Saturday ride. I really enjoyed the forest road - hard surface - forest road - hard surface combinations. It kept me on my toes and wondering what was behind the next curve.

Greg, keep up the good work. Your getting better and better each ride. Sorry about the bike show. I will blame it on modern technology and not being able to communicate. There were lots of nice bikes there but I was ready to go after a couple hours.

The wine feast at Mt Vernon was a lot of fun Saturday night but very wet. The ride home via Manassas, Culpeper, Mineral and Flat Rock was wet but very nice. Lesson learned ..... put the vented gear away!
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:18 AM   #12212
niceviewbehindbars
out enjoying the vu

Oddometer: 1,392
Good thing we didn't go any further west. They got 9" of snow at snowshoe over the weekend!

"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man." -Unknown
niceviewbehindbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:48 AM   #12213
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Went of make reservations (book a weekend) at Boyer Campground / Motel & Rest. in August of 2012. Was told by Franks wife/daughter that the place is up for sale, Franks health has really gotten bad and they were not sure they would be open next year because they could not find anyone to operate the facility. If they are open next year it would be for camping only, the Rest. would be closed though.

Ryders Rest & Store across the street is up for sale as well, I believe Franks sister runs that place.

I didn't ask how much they wanted for Boyer Station, but I found Ryders Store / Rest & Gas Station along with the owners residents which shares the same property for sale on the Internet for $500K.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:48 AM   #12214
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,089
"Good thing we didn't go any further west. They got 9" of snow at snowshoe over the weekend!"

That would have been AWESOME if the roads weren't frozen!

Kurt, sounds like a good retirement plan for you! Go for it!
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #12215
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Last time I was there (Jul) they wanted 450K, I went home and broke into the penny jar but came up short. I say that would be a good thing for you and Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwn306 View Post
Went of make reservations (book a weekend) at Boyer Campground / Motel & Rest. in August of 2012. Was told by Franks wife/daughter that the place is up for sale, Franks health has really gotten bad and they were not sure they would be open next year because they could not find anyone to operate the facility. If they are open next year it would be for camping only, the Rest. would be closed though.

Ryders Rest & Store across the street is up for sale as well, I believe Franks sister runs that place.

I didn't ask how much they wanted for Boyer Station, but I found Ryders Store / Rest & Gas Station along with the owners residents which shares the same property for sale on the Internet for $500K.
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #12216
jwray76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Glad you guys had a great trip despite the weather. Doing a great job keeping me jealous. I have the bike and the gear...now I just need the time. With a broken scapula in the spring and new baby in the summer time has been tight. The time I had this weekend was spent with the honey do list of lawn work.
jwray76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #12217
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhof View Post
Last time I was there (Jul) they wanted 450K, I went home and broke into the penny jar but came up short. I say that would be a good thing for you and Sue
Chef Kurt really doesn't have a good ring to it. Besides, would you really eat anything he cooked... especially after cleaning all those toilets and the bath houses???
Old 10-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #12218
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhof View Post
Stations Inn has been on the market in NC for 2 + years, he wants $650K for it.

$450K seems reasonable for Boyers Station.
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #12219
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT View Post
Stations Inn has been on the market in NC for 2 + years, he wants $650K for it.

$450K seems reasonable for Boyers Station.
I dunno. The motel(s) are completely dated and in bad need of repair/updating. Probably best to just raze them and build new from the ground up.

This has been discussed before many times over a campfire, but the consensus has always been that they don't charge enough (good for them;bad for us). Build new, raise the rates, be faced with a hellava mortgage, and still not being able to find local help for the restaurant..... doesn't sound like a viable investment to me. Sounds more like a business plan for a foreclosure a couple of years down the pike.

Like Tommy, my penny jar isn't full enough to have the working capital(sp?) to survive 'til they come to lock the doors.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #12220
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
I'm planning on going up to bloochdog's BWDR Shindig in Elkton this weekend.Anyone else going?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #12221
MikeD.
mmm, Chicken Strips

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
I'm planning on going up to bloochdog's BWDR Shindig in Elkton this weekend.Anyone else going?
I am trying to decide whether to crash BWDR or the Hampton Roads BMW Rally. I don't know anyone at either place (although I have met Goosecreek). This could be the last warm w/e of the year. I am going somewhere this weekend.

I am mostly a lurker but sometimes I do stuff.
MikeD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #12222
kwn306
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Chef Kurt really doesn't have a good ring to it. Besides, would you really eat anything he cooked... especially after cleaning all those toilets and the bath houses???
I'm with Guy - I can't see Chef Kurt behind the kitchen door either, maybe next to a microwave and a coffee pot before noon, after noon all bets would be off

Tommy - did the $450K include Frank's house? The well in the barn like bath house feeds his house as well as the water that I hook to my RV. I believe the Rest has it's own well. But like Guy said the motel(s) need to be replaced. Jason wanted to put up Yurts, I was thinking more like KOA style cabins, both would need a Willville style bath facility. Someone would be talking a major capitol investment before it was all completed.

When I retire in another year and 11 months, but who is counting, I do not want to be married to a job again unless it involves a fishin rod and saltwater, been thinking about getting a Capt. license and running a head boat service on Chincoteague Is., VA.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:58 AM   #12223
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,089
This has Greg and Jeff Munn all over it! Had I know and done some planning, it would have been fun!

http://barbermotorsports.com/vintage/index.php?adnet=
Old 10-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #12224
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD. View Post
I am trying to decide whether to crash BWDR or the Hampton Roads BMW Rally. I don't know anyone at either place (although I have met Goosecreek). This could be the last warm w/e of the year. I am going somewhere this weekend.

I am mostly a lurker but sometimes I do stuff.
Nobody crashes the BWDR. ADVrider = standing invitation. Come ride with us . Gonna be a great weekend.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #12225
MikeD.
mmm, Chicken Strips

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
...Gonna be a great weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
...I will do breakfast...
How can I refuse?

coordinates locked in, staring out the window and waiting for Friday...
MikeD. is offline   Reply With Quote