ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #13021
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
MOB's Move

Left Richmond Weds. morning to drive the truck/trailer up to OH for MOB. Lots of rain early on, and it continued as I got on the PA Pike up in Breezewood. I knew that if it continued it'd turn to snow when I hit the Laurel Highlands. I wasn't disappointed, but fortunately it wasn't sticking on the roadway. Ran into more flurries after I crossed into OH, buit they weren't sticking on the road either.

I had to be very selective and careful when trying to find a service station I could get that long rig into. That alone had its interesting moments. Ultimately, we made it up there, got the car and the bikes unloaded, and dropped off the truck and trailer later in the evening. I stayed there that night, picked up a rental car Thursday morning and headed for home.

The trip home was pretty uneventful EXCEPT for the latter part of the trip (see below). Plenty of snow on the ground as I approached Morgantown, WV, and saw a whole lot more on I-68 eastbound. Close to 6 or so inches on the ground in places and the trees were completely covered with the stuff. Absolutely gorgeous.

I should have arrived in Richmond around 7:00 that evening, but got hung up in the horrific traffic jam on I-95 about a mile south of Fredericksburg due to a an incident that involved a trooper getting shot, and his shooting the assailant (who died yesterday morning). They closed down the roadway (all three lanes) due to the investigation, then eventually opened just one lane to traffic. This was about 3 miles just north of the Ladysmith exit. The overhead signs called it an accident, but that was far from what it was. I didn't know any of this until I got home, for when I passed the area of intense activity there was the remains of a small sedan on the RH shoulder that was completely burned out and still smoking. I thought that was the remains of whatever had happened, but it must have been the result of some other incident related to the backup; don't know. Brings new meaning to the term "overheated." I finally got home a little before 1:00 a.m. Since I was already into day 2 of the car rental, I took it back yesterday morning after unloading all my stuff and grabbed a cab home.

Was certainly nice to help, but not sure if I'd want to do it over.

Old 12-10-2011, 08:48 AM   #13022
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 2,092
Not MC related, perhaps just therapy

On a related note to the traffic jam. The "Assailant" is a person I used to work with at Fort Lee. He is survived by 3 young children. I won't claim to have any idea of the circumstances that led to him struggling with an officer and getting shot. Since I learned of his death yesterday, my mind has been stuck asking "Herb, what was worth dying for you idiot?"

Just a clarification, the guy was part of the computer incident response team at the DoD organization I used to work at. He held a top secret security clearance and was an army veteran. One of my former co-workers sent me the link to the news article. He had talked to him at the office Thursday morning and said he seemed normal.

I'm not justifying anything that he did and I don't know what he was caught up in besides the reckless driving. Just pointing out that life can get weird really fast. Smart people can make really dumb decisions. If any of you get caught up in something, even something as minor as a traffic ticket, take a deep breath before you do something stupid and ask, "is it worth dying for?" before you decide to do something that will escalate the situation. Now, there is an officer shot in the leg and 3 children without a father.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #13023
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Left Richmond Weds. morning to drive the truck/trailer up to OH for MOB.

Was certainly nice to help, but not sure if I'd want to do it over.

Guy, this is why you are loved and respected in this community and on this forum. You constantly put others before yourself. I wish I were more like you. I know MOB needed the help, but I just couldn't, and we'll leave it at that. I am proud to have met you, and call you a friend. You are a better man than I.

and you know in your heart, if MOB asked you, you'd do it again.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #13024
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey View Post
I'm on here now. How you doing?
Welcome to the asylum!
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #13025
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRMN8R View Post
Welcome to the asylum!
And speaking of "doing," how are YOU doing Jimmy??
Old 12-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #13026
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Guy, this is why you are loved and respected in this community and on this forum. You constantly put others before yourself. I wish I were more like you. I know MOB needed the help, but I just couldn't, and we'll leave it at that. I am proud to have met you, and call you a friend. You are a better man than I.

and you know in your heart, if MOB asked you, you'd do it again.

jeff
This ^^^ .
Old 12-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #13027
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Took my first ride in over a month. Rode the old XS650 around the block. I have just enough "travel" in my new knee to reach the shift lever while sitting on the passenger grab strap. Man, that felt good.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #13028
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
This ^^^ .
Blush........

Yinz are too much.

Thank you.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #13029
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pplassm View Post
Took my first ride in over a month. Rode the old XS650 around the block. I have just enough "travel" in my new knee to reach the shift lever while sitting on the passenger grab strap. Man, that felt good.
Good news Pete. You'll be out rippin' up the woods before long.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #13030
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
And speaking of "doing," how are YOU doing Jimmy??
Yeah, how'd that last op go?
Old 12-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #13031
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 852
Que Hora?

What time were ya'll thinking of doing Poes tomorrow morning?

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #13032
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Bought a nice new size XXL (AKA Bus) white Arai Vector-2 helmet today. I have yet to wear it while riding. It feels comfortable though. Almost went with the XL but it was too tight and I can imagine my head killing me after a while. I wasn't willing to bet it would break in quite that much.

Now I just need to put the pads back in my road crafter and re-install my turn signal (now with epoxy and black duct tape TM) and I'll be ready to roll. Well, my mirror will still be cracked, my hand-guard still broken and my bike still filthy, but yes serviceable enough for a nice ride.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #13033
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Thanks to Jeff from the Classic Bike Pool Hall & Garage!

Many thanks to Jeff Munn for supplying tools/lessons in putting a new tire on a bike!

About to apply the Jeff Munn patented BFH tire removal technique:

Tire mounting:

Finished product:
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #13034
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 933
Poes

Hey Rick,
I think most of the bikes roll in around 9:30-10:00am. Coffee and hot food is served inside. Might be the place to be if its still freezing in the morning. I will look for you there.

Jeremy .... I still feel bad about your bike. I hope it all goes back together for you. New helmet sounds very nice.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #13035
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Jeremy .... I still feel bad about your bike. I hope it all goes back together for you. New helmet sounds very nice.
Nothing to feel bad about. That turn signal was already held together by epoxy, the glass in the mirror is just cracked, no big deal. The hand guard is the same one that was semi crushed on that ride with you, Eddy and Madstrom. Other than plenty of dirt and some scratches on the muffler guard, it isn't anything new. None of it is anything you should feel bad about.

I was glad that I turned around after seeing some of the video of the rest of the mud ride. A puddle just like the last 30 or so I had ridden through got me, when the front wheel decided to slide out to the left. Guess the blocks on the Shinko 705 were just a little too big with too narrow of a groove to dig in good.