ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2012, 08:56 PM   #13741
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,758
Well I just got back from Denver for the week. I now have a new front wheel for my 990 from Woody's Wheel Works. My goodness the old wheel was BENT UP! It would not make one revolution up right on the garage floor. Woody's folks were helpful and friendly. I left the hub in the cedar tree out front on a snowy day at 6:00. I was on Richmond time.

Now I can't wait to get back out west with a bike.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:05 AM   #13742
Cycletech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 512
I posted this in the bikes section. Thought you guys might want to see it too.

A little update on my Metralla search. I wasn't finding much out there in the way of Metralla's, so I bought this DS6-C off of ebay for something to fiddle with until I could find a Metralla.

Deal is done, date is set for me to drive from Richmond, VA to Frankford, DE to pick it up. Looks like a clean bike. So far, the owner seems like a good guy to deal with.

Not 24 hours after that I get an email from a guy out in Missouri saying he has a Metralla he'd sell, with a picture.

Wow! Looks like a nice bike. Deal is done for the Metralla, a friend says he'd take the DS6 off my hands as soon as it hits Richmond. Ok, plan is still a go.

I get to Yamaha Guys house and everything seems good. We look at the DS6, look at all his other toys, then roll the 6 out into the sun and I fire it up. Runs good, looks good, ok, lets get this thing on my truck... He goes to get the title and comes back with this.

A NY State registration card that expired in 1990. I've been down the registration card for an old bike and trade it for a title road before, with mixed results. Thing is, it's from 2 owners ago. So I ask him, why did he list the bike with a clear title, and why, when I talked to him on the phone, did he tell me that the paperwork was clear? He stated the above picture, which was listed on the ebay auction, explained the situation. What I see, is a manual with an old registration card in the background. WTF!

So we're standing there trying to figure what to do, I've already paypal'ed him a $500 deposit and have the rest of the cash in my pocket. I've turned a bit cold to the idea of the Yamaha, even though I think I can get a title in a few weeks, for $250 or so.

He then offers me his Mercurio 175, for the same price. We had talked about it over the phone, but I hadn't considered it, since I bought the Metralla. So a deal is made for the Mercurio at Yamaha prices, with title this time.

On the truck it goes and we set off for Richmond. Now, after never having a Bultaco in my life, I've bought 2 in 24 hours.

Anyone know a good motorcycle shipper to get my Metralla?
Cycletech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #13743
Cycletech
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Here is what I get to do every week.
Looks like fun! Is that you?
Old 01-20-2012, 04:16 AM   #13744
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
There is Slades 45 minutes from you, there is also a private, members only track up here (can't rememeber name) on the north side of the Benjamin Harrison bridge. They charge either $50 membership fee and $25 each time you come out or $700 and you and your immediate family gets unlimited access until 12/31. (I'm looking into this now).
Heres's the link for Charles City Dirt Riders. http://www.ccdirtriders.org/

This year it's $50-$25 as stated or $695 (!!!!) for year-round access. It's mostly an MX practice track, with small amount of trail.

Slade's is pretty awful, but it's the only place in the Tidewater area.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:22 AM   #13745
pplassm
Brace for collision!

Oddometer: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycletech View Post

Wow. That is really nice!

I have a friend who swears by Uship.com. It's a reverse auction site for shipping. He's had two bikes and a lot of industrial equipment shipped that way.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #13746
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 916
bike shipping

Hey Cycletech

Yes..... that was an actual video I took landing in Indy last week.

Keyboard Carriage Inc shipped my Goldwing from San Antonio Tx to Richmond last year for $550. They did a great job. They have there own crate hauling system that was designed by the owner. They are open crates but very secure and on wheels so they are easy to move around and get on/off the truck. The number I have is 270 737-5797. I think CycleDoc has also used them with positive results.
chuck
skychs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #13747
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Matt Danielson needs your help to attend the General Assemby on Tuesday Jan 24th to show support for the two abreast bill. If you can make it please let Matt know you will be there! Blurb from Matt this AM:

Jim and I have been at the Capitol non-stop. We were informed by one delegate that we should concentrate on the penalty because there is concern about a full repeal of the prohibition. We discussed this with our patron Delegate Wilt. All three of us are in agreement that we should press on with full repeal due to the fact that all of the safety concerns mentioned are hypotheticals that have been proven to be without merit in the 48 states that allow motorcyclists to ride side by side. We have also pointed out that the vast majority of motorcyclists only ride two abreast when they need to communicate with a fellow rider (I need gas, your saddle bag is open, get off on the next exit) That being said, there are 22 members on the Committee. Jim and I have secured promises of support from 11.

Your emails have been extremely helpful. Several of the legislative aides have stressed the importance of having as many motorcyclists at the committee meeting as possible. I am therefore asking that anyone who can take the time to come to committee do so. I am also asking that you dress so as to be immediately recognizable as a motorcyclist. I will be in a tie in case I have to speak although debate has already been had in sub-committee. However we want everyone else to be in motorcycle attire.

The bill is scheduled to be heard Tuesday afternoon. That is January the 24th. The committee meets one half hour after session ends so I would plan on 1:00 p.m. The General Assembly building is located at 9th and Broad Street in Richmond. There are parking garages at 6th St. between Grace and Franklin as well as at 8th and Clay St. The House committee rooms are on the first floor to the right after you pass through the metal detectors.

This is an opportunity to show our legislators that we are an active and engaged part of the electorate. This is a tough committee for us but if we get out we are very comfortable with our chances in the full House. If you are able to make it please contact me so that I have an idea as to how many we can expect. As for HB 187 (Motorcycle Only Checkpoints), it is scheduled to be heard in sub-committee on Wednesday at 7:00 a.m. So far we have received nothing but support for that bill. For those who are new to the list I apologize for the frequency of emails. This happens every year during session due to the frantic nature of the process of marshaling a bill through the General Assembly.

That being said, the efforts of every Virginia motorcyclist helps and without everyone reading this we would be much less effective. I promise that once session ends we will go back to our regularly scheduled program. Thank you again and I hope to see you on January 24th at 1:00 p.m.

Matt Danielson McGrath & Danielson Tom McGrath's Motorcycle Law Group
1-800-321-8968 Motorcyclelawgroup.com

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #13748
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,147
Any Richmond ADV'er gets dibs on this if you want it...

Sold

Eddy Alvarez screwed with this post 01-20-2012 at 07:10 AM Reason: SOLD
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:39 AM   #13749
freaking RT
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHVA View Post
Matt Danielson needs your help to attend the General Assemby on Tuesday Jan 24th to show support for the two abreast bill. If you can make it please let Matt know you will be there! Blurb from Matt this AM:

Jim and I have been at the Capitol non-stop. We were informed by one delegate that we should concentrate on the penalty because there is concern about a full repeal of the prohibition. We discussed this with our patron Delegate Wilt. All three of us are in agreement that we should press on with full repeal due to the fact that all of the safety concerns mentioned are hypotheticals that have been proven to be without merit in the 48 states that allow motorcyclists to ride side by side. We have also pointed out that the vast majority of motorcyclists only ride two abreast when they need to communicate with a fellow rider (I need gas, your saddle bag is open, get off on the next exit) That being said, there are 22 members on the Committee. Jim and I have secured promises of support from 11.

Your emails have been extremely helpful. Several of the legislative aides have stressed the importance of having as many motorcyclists at the committee meeting as possible. I am therefore asking that anyone who can take the time to come to committee do so. I am also asking that you dress so as to be immediately recognizable as a motorcyclist. I will be in a tie in case I have to speak although debate has already been had in sub-committee. However we want everyone else to be in motorcycle attire.

The bill is scheduled to be heard Tuesday afternoon. That is January the 24th. The committee meets one half hour after session ends so I would plan on 1:00 p.m. The General Assembly building is located at 9th and Broad Street in Richmond. There are parking garages at 6th St. between Grace and Franklin as well as at 8th and Clay St. The House committee rooms are on the first floor to the right after you pass through the metal detectors.

This is an opportunity to show our legislators that we are an active and engaged part of the electorate. This is a tough committee for us but if we get out we are very comfortable with our chances in the full House. If you are able to make it please contact me so that I have an idea as to how many we can expect. As for HB 187 (Motorcycle Only Checkpoints), it is scheduled to be heard in sub-committee on Wednesday at 7:00 a.m. So far we have received nothing but support for that bill. For those who are new to the list I apologize for the frequency of emails. This happens every year during session due to the frantic nature of the process of marshaling a bill through the General Assembly.

That being said, the efforts of every Virginia motorcyclist helps and without everyone reading this we would be much less effective. I promise that once session ends we will go back to our regularly scheduled program. Thank you again and I hope to see you on January 24th at 1:00 p.m.

Matt Danielson McGrath & Danielson Tom McGrath's Motorcycle Law Group
1-800-321-8968 Motorcyclelawgroup.com
who wants to go?

Tuesday: Sunny, with a high near 59.

we could stop at http://legendbrewing.com/ for a draft after the meeting remember people, 1 per tire when riding
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:04 AM   #13750
rctr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Chuck,

That was really cool! Looks like a skating rink not a runway.

Thanks for sharing,

Jimmy
Old 01-20-2012, 06:48 AM   #13751
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycletech View Post
I posted this in the bikes section. Thought you guys might want to see it too.

A little update on my Metralla search. I wasn't finding much out there in the way of Metralla's, so I bought this DS6-C off of ebay for something to fiddle with until I could find a Metralla.

That DS6-C looks deceptively close to the old Bridgestone 350GTO. A 40 hp two stroke screamer.

I just sold one exactly like this picture a couple of weeks ago. Guy drove down from Indiana to get it.

I can feel your pain with the registration/title issue. Still am fighting Va DMV over the title for my '55 Simplex. My next step is paying the $125 for them to come do a VIN verification (seems the VIN is already in the data base assigned to a 1983 boat trailer). Once that is done, they say I can get a new VIN plate and #, then the title and registration. Maybe this year I'll be able to do the Moto Giro with Greg! Va doesn't make anything easy when it comes to vehicles lacking titles.

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #13752
Cycletech
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Cycletech

Yes..... that was an actual video I took landing in Indy last week.

Keyboard Carriage Inc shipped my Goldwing from San Antonio Tx to Richmond last year for $550. They did a great job. They have there own crate hauling system that was designed by the owner. They are open crates but very secure and on wheels so they are easy to move around and get on/off the truck. The number I have is 270 737-5797. I think CycleDoc has also used them with positive results.
chuck
Chuck,

Thanks for the tip.

I have a Garmin 496 for sale, if you know anyone flying that might need it.

Chris
Old 01-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #13753
tommyhof
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Here is what I get to do every week. It was an approach into Indy last week during one of the snow storms. Its great to be back at work but I hate missing all the good rides lately.
Your going to think you can ride that GSA on ice now......Oh yea, more pics, but of Stewardess' ....Hot ones........
COG 6517
tommyhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #13754
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyhof View Post
Your going to think you can ride that GSA on ice now......Oh yea, more pics, but of Stewardess' ....Hot ones........
No! I already asked him for pictures of the hot stewardesses on his plane. What he sent me looked like a cross between a Golden Girls episode and the season premire of the biggest loser! Chuck, please don't post them.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #13755
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Sounds good Guy, I have the tank guard and horn already, waiting for the UPS man to deliver my new LED spotlights and daytime running lights. They are all LED so no relay is needed. They pull something ridiculous like 3 watts each but put out 1000 lumens like a 55W halogen. Do you think it would be easier to hook up the lights to a switch on the handlebars or wiring them into the high beam so I can control everything with my low beam/high beam switch? I want the smaller daytime running lights on all of the time. The horn is a steibel copy from Harbor Freight. Oh, I forgot that while I have the front plastics off, I need to hook up my Photon Blasters. Per the instructions, is a 30 minute ieasy installation.

Not that you would need it, but if you want to watch it, I have the JVB DVD on how he recommends hooking all of this up...
Yeah, I'd like to see the video.

And FWIW - NO accessory is easy. They're all a PITA cause things never install like they're supposed to. Been down that road too many times.

I do have relays JIC. Will need to get them from storage tho'.