ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #13981
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Weather here has turned to $hit in the last 30 minutes. Trust ya'll who ventured up to Morton's make it home safe and sound.

You ain't lyin'!! Snow and wind howling here at the homestead!

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #13982
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
Snow

Wow..... that was interesting. I got home, washed the GS and before I could get the bike into the garage it started snowing. Perfect timing guys.

Anyway, thanks Mike, Greg and Rick for an awesome day. Sorry we missed you Eddy. I had a great ride up to Morton's, a great time sampling all the different chilies and a great time riding back. Turned out to be a great day to ride after all.

Hey Bloochdog .... we loved you chili. Sorry you didn't win 1st place.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:51 PM   #13983
JHVA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,865
Minutes ago in Lanexa and still coming down pretty good.

2009 BMW R1200GS
1971 MGB Roadster
1965 Yamaha YG1-K Rotary Jet 80
JHVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #13984
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by skychs View Post
Wow..... that was interesting. I got home, washed the GS and before I could get the bike into the garage it started snowing. Perfect timing guys.

Anyway, thanks Mike, Greg and Rick for an awesome day. Sorry we missed you Eddy. I had a great ride up to Morton's, a great time sampling all the different chilies and a great time riding back. Turned out to be a great day to ride after all.

Hey Bloochdog .... we loved you chili. Sorry you didn't win 1st place.
Should we assume the James River will be in deep $hit come tomorrow morning???
Old 02-11-2012, 02:59 PM   #13985
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,777
Yessir....heated gear performed quite well today...thanks to Chuck for the back road tour
There were some good Chili's to sample thats for sure, from HOT to Sweet and even 'white'
The one I voted for didn't win but one of my top three did...snows cleared up I see sun on the horizon.
Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"
Michhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #13986
Michhub
Major Medical

Go Cruise Throttle Control....

blooch was asking about this simple little cruise control at Mortons today...

simple and effective...$19.99....pic is link to website...
Bonsai Elephant - "
Old 02-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #13987
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Great Day Riding

The ride to the Chili Cookoff at Morton's today went well.We missed you Eddy.Had great time Chuck,Mike and Rick.Thanks for leading us on the good backroads Chuck.I stopped at Velocity on the way back into town and after about half an hour the snow started to really come down thick.Had a fun ride home in the snow.Crossing the Nickel Bridge with the snow falling on the James River was beautful.All in all a great riding day and the Gerbings and Chili made it all toasty and warm.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #13988
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,275
I'm glad to hear that you all had fun and made it home safely. I wish I could have gone. Fortunately, my mom is doing okay after giving us a good scare this morning.
Greg, I remember about eight years ago getting surprised by a sudden snowstorm while at Ft. Pickett. I got all of my gear on in a hurry and headed back to Richmond right away. It was really beautiful riding home while the snow poured down all around me. It was one of those times you look back on and think "why didn't I get a cool picture of that!?" Lynn was not amused when I pulled up in the driveway. It was on my old Harley Road King Classic. I do miss that bike. I'll contact you about picking up my oil filter, thank you again for picking one up at Morton's today for me.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #13989
Michhub
Major Medical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
... picking one up at Morton's today for me.
Hey Eddie we did miss you on this one but a short funny story....I spy Greg after the chili tasting and say, "did you buy anything?" he replies no, I say "good man"......a short while later we can't find him....we all look around and say to each other he's either in the bathroom or buying something....I spot him at the counter with his checkbook out paying for a custom BMW belt with a buckle shaped like the boxer twin cylinders
Bonsai Elephant - "
Old 02-12-2012, 06:30 AM   #13990
DirtDoctor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Hey Eddie we did miss you on this one but a short funny story....I spy Greg after the chili tasting and say, "did you buy anything?" he replies no, I say "good man"......a short while later we can't find him....we all look around and say to each other he's either in the bathroom or buying something....I spot him at the counter with his checkbook out paying for a custom BMW belt with a buckle shaped like the boxer twin cylinders

The old PT Barnum quote "There's a sucker born every minute" fits me well...I can resist almost anything but temptation.Guilty as charged.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #13991
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDoctor View Post
The old PT Barnum quote "There's a sucker born every minute" fits me well...I can resist almost anything but temptation.Guilty as charged.
PT Barnum never said that. But, who's going to see Dragons?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:08 AM   #13992
skychs
chuck smith

Oddometer: 958
Chili Cook off

Hey Greg ..... We will expect to see that new belt buckle the next time we go for a ride. I think it was the first trip ever to Morton's when I didn't buy anything. It was tempting with the Gerbing accessories on sale but I held back.

Guy ..... no pollution in the James today. I must not have eaten enough chili. The first pot in the sample line was extremely hot. I had a hard time tasting the rest after that.
skychs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #13993
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Little chilly out here this a.m.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #13994
MotoMujer
Adventurette

Oddometer: 669
Hill time

I split the past week plus between Snowshoe, Jeff/Teresa's farm, and Monterey. Ended up in the 4WD the whole time, either because I was loaded up with ski stuff, computer stuff, food stuff, etc., or because the weather turned too icy/snowy/cold (5 degrees in the sun!) for my tastes. I did take the opportunity to check out some sweet roads though. E.g., 66 - 28 - 250 - 640 - 220; 220 - 39 - 252 - 606 - 56. Can't wait to roam around the region on the GS this spring.

re: Jefferson Pools, the cost is presently $17 for up to one hour and they are open Saturday/Sunday 12-5pm; I think these are seasonal hours. I went for only a quick soak, as I found the 98-degree water temp not quite high enough to offset the insanely cold ambient temp that came streaming along the pool surface from outside (there was ice on the boardwalk inside the poolhouse and on the floor in the changing booths, if that gives an idea). Notwithstanding, the woman in the poolhouse office commented that over 70 people had visited the pools over the weekend.

A few images from the area:

From 66, shortly outside Snowshoe

From 66 looking north toward the NRAO

Off of 28

From 640 heading toward Blue Grass

Cameloids!

Outside Monterey

The ladies' poolhouse at Jefferson Pools
MotoMujer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #13995
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaP View Post
I split the past week plus between Snowshoe, Jeff/Teresa's farm, and Monterey. Ended up in the 4WD the whole time, either because I was loaded up with ski stuff, computer stuff, food stuff, etc., or because the weather turned too icy/snowy/cold (5 degrees in the sun!) for my tastes. I did take the opportunity to check out some sweet roads though. E.g., 66 - 28 - 250 - 640 - 220; 220 - 39 - 252 - 606 - 56. Can't wait to roam around the region on the GS this spring.

re: Jefferson Pools, the cost is presently $17 for up to one hour and they are open Saturday/Sunday 12-5pm; I think these are seasonal hours. I went for only a quick soak, as I found the 98-degree water temp not quite high enough to offset the insanely cold ambient temp that came streaming along the pool surface from outside (there was ice on the boardwalk inside the poolhouse and on the floor in the changing booths, if that gives an idea). Notwithstanding, the woman in the poolhouse office commented that over 70 people had visited the pools over the weekend.
Nice pix and glad you had a chance to sample the pools. Were the nekked old men on their side... the one's that turned Eddy's stomach in his post a couple of weeks ago???