ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #14506
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgwhat View Post
Hey Guy,

Did you see the write up in Rider Mag on the COG rally in Vermont?
Yeah, I did. Lance Oliver did a nice job. Also enjoyed his piece about the ride across PA.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #14507
teeter
Frank Zappa the 6th

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgwhat View Post
Hey Guy,

Did you see the write up in Rider Mag on the COG rally in Vermont?
Is the article available online?

teeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:20 AM   #14508
dawgwhat
No Earthy Idea

Oddometer: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeter View Post
Is the article available online?
I don't know
Old 03-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #14509
Michhub
Major Medical

Oddometer: 3,616
Good news today...the XRL does not require surgery just some simple out patient procedures

Here is the doctor performing a 'look see'....

Guys tip of the week for frozen bolts...

Bonsai Elephant - "
Life without a 990 is no life at all!"

Michhub screwed with this post 03-16-2012 at 03:38 PM Reason: add Kroil deal link to picture
Michhub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #14510
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Here is the doctor performing a 'look see'....

Who is that man? It almost looks like Guy, but without the coveralls, it's hard to tell. :-)

"I’m lost. I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #14511
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by higworld View Post
Who is that man? It almost looks like Guy, but without the coveralls, it's hard to tell. :-)
It IS me - honest. Because I'm a cheap, er frugal $hit, those are insulated coveralls so I can keep the heater set to a minimum when I do turn it on. Too danged warm for those right now. Need to get some lighter ones since global warming seems to be fooking up our "Winter."

Today was a "non-greasy" day anyway. Looking over/measuring Mike's cylinder/head, welding up and machining a rear turn signal bracket and mounting same for a Suzuki GV1200.

Tomorrow we get messy. Mounting 2 tires on an F650, honing Mike's cylinder, and tearing the top end off that Polaris ATV I've finally got parts/tools for.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:38 PM   #14512
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michhub View Post
Good news today...the XRL does not require surgery just some simple out patient procedures

Guys tip of the week for frozen bolts...

Give you another quick tip: Put some anti-seize on your cylinder/head bolts before installing them. Prevents their threads from galling up in the aluminum so you can get an accurate torque reading when cinching them up.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #14513
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,920
Managed to get the new ride inspected for free at Ultimate Cycle. They took me right in and didn't charge me since I had previously purchased a bike there.

I was politely told that I should put the reflectôrs back on it. I guess those are just one of the other things the PO removed to save weight. Took the bike out to Powhatan and Cumberland to a couple of unpaved roads. I had been on these before with the wee, it was a totally different feeling. I can tell this is going to be fun off road.

Also rode across town and back. Seems to do pretty good on the street too. Smooth even up to 70mph and fine in traffic. Only downside is that the fuel light came on at about 80 miles. Filled up at 90 miles with 1.5 gallons.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #14514
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Sometimes you just can't catch a break.

My wife just got back from MD yesterday after spending 3 weeks up there trying to make final closing arrangements on her parent's house, and tending to the needs of my older, very pregnant daughter.

About an hour ago she gets a call from the nursing home/hospital where both her parents are saying they don't think her father will make it through the night.... which sucks. His wishes are that he NOT be on any form of life support, so what ever happens, happens.

She's not going up tonight, but will hit the road in the early a.m. to get up there to be with him JIC.

She just visited with them before she left yesterday and didn't think he even knew she was there, so this isn't totally unexpected. Fortunately, for her, both of them were put in a nursing home a little over a year ago, so she has reconciled the fact that they were both in a steady decline over that year and the inevitable would eventually occur. Still, I pray for her well being now. She often told me that if her mother passed away, she didn't know what she would do. Also, my wife is a very religious person, so I know she is putting her trust in the Lord to carry her through all of this. And He will.

Ironic that her dad was one of the original "tough" guys in the early days of the OSS. He's been through a hell of a lot, especially after being captured by the Germans when he parachuted in behind enemy lines during the war. Even though the rest of his career was spent working for the CIA, he never got over all that he went through when in a POW camp, and I know that all of that has had an eventual effect on his health in his later years. Funny, since my Army career was kinda on the "spook" side, we had a very good relationship and could understand where each of us was coming from.

Guy

Old 03-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #14515
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,920
Guy, I am sorry to hear about your father in law. I wish your wife safe travels and can respect a mans wishes to not be on life support. Your wifes father sounds like a real stand up kind of guy.
jgiacobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #14516
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post

Ironic that her dad was one of the original "tough" guys in the early days of the OSS. He's been through a hell of a lot, especially after being captured by the Germans when he parachuted in behind enemy lines during the war...
Sounds like a cool guy and a life well lived.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #14517
Downer
Downer

Oddometer: 192
Vanson Jacket Sizing

Does anybody have a Vanson size 48 I could try on for sizing? I am looking at one in the flea market. I found one on Craig's List that was a size 44 that I thought should be my size. I tried it on and it was never going to zip.

Thanks,
Craig
Old 03-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #14518
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,427
Ride tomorrow?

I got a day pass to ride tomorrow. Taking the DR up towards the mountains. Giacobbe, you still in? Anybody else?

I'm looking to ride some fire roads and easy trails if I can get some dual sporters..
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #14519
Michhub
Major Medical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downer View Post
Does anybody have a Vanson size 48 I could try on for sizing? I am looking at one in the flea market. I found one on Craig's List that was a size 44 that I thought should be my size. I tried it on and it was never going to zip.

Thanks,
Craig
I've got a 46........
Bonsai Elephant - "
Old 03-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #14520
Michhub
Major Medical

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis View Post
I got a day pass to ride tomorrow. Taking the DR up towards the mountains. Giacobbe, you still in? Anybody else?

I'm looking to ride some fire roads and easy trails if I can get some dual sporters..
I'd love to go play in some dirt tomorrow...the XR is down and the 990 has worn skorps so its the 530....I really don't want to ride that all the way out to crabtree etc etc....I need a trailer....
Bonsai Elephant - "