User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
WLSelph OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Darian Jacket and pants question

I have a gear question. I currently have a Kerr jacket and pants. When I ride in 70 degree or above weather, I sweat like crazy. The pants are two layers and I am not using a liner in the jacket. My bike is a DL1000.

I read great reviews about the Darian jacket and pants. Are they as warm as what I am currently wearing? The jacket is not as big an issue as the pants. I have seen mesh jackets with all the armour but it's the pants that are hot as hell. Does anyone make a pair of pants that offer good protection and are semi cool? What are the Darian pants like?

Thanks.
WLSelph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #2
decodent
CyberGypsy

Oddometer: 1,399
I think they're great ...

I have the Darien Light Jacket and Darien Regular Pants. I love 'em both. I live in the West, so conditions are a bit dryer here. But I've comfortably worn them to 90+ degrees and even up to 105.

If I were to do it over, I'd probably get the Darien Light Pants as well, as they would be just a bit cooler. And apparently they offer almost as much protection.

A key thing for the jacket is getting the back protection pad. All of the armor holds the jacket away from your skin, in essence creating an airflow chamber all the way around you. When you open up all the vents - cuffs, pit zips, and back - it really moves the air through you. Heck, when there's been even the slightest breeze, I've felt the air move through it while standing still.

I've drunk from the Stich Kool Aid, so beware. I think it's the best gear I own. Period. I've had mine for 3 years now, and the only problem I've had with it is the velcro patches that hold the armour in kind of delamming ... and Stich replaced them for a very reasonable price.

And in weather ... it allows you to move through the extremes without having to remove the gear. You can go from cold rain to warm sunshine without having to remove the jacket, unless you wanted to remove an underlayer.

My only real complaint is its "Luddite" fashion. But given how awesome it works, that's a small price to pay. I've gone down twice on it in the dirt and both times the armor was right where it was supposed to be and I didn't feel a thing.

Also it's great having full sidezip legs on the pants. It means you can take the pants on and off without having remove the boots. I usually wear a light layer of stretch tights underneath the pants, and a lightweight capilene top above.

And if I'm riding in dirt, I'll remove the knee armour and use regular knee pads, but keep the hip pads in place.

Ahhhh heck, what can I say? Gear doesn't get any better, or more versatile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLSelph
I have a gear question. I currently have a Kerr jacket and pants. When I ride in 70 degree or above weather, I sweat like crazy. The pants are two layers and I am not using a liner in the jacket. My bike is a DL1000.

I read great reviews about the Darian jacket and pants. Are they as warm as what I am currently wearing? The jacket is not as big an issue as the pants. I have seen mesh jackets with all the armour but it's the pants that are hot as hell. Does anyone make a pair of pants that offer good protection and are semi cool? What are the Darian pants like?

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #3
WLSelph OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the advice. You're not the only one to drink the Stitch Kool aid.

I wondered if the Darian Light protected as well but was just a little less warm. I do like the Hi-Viz yellow. I'd look like a big banana going down the road but hopefully people would notice me.

I was just looking thru some old issues of MCN. The editors pick for a jacket was the Darian Light in the Hi-Viz. They usually recommend good stuff.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
decodent
CyberGypsy

Oddometer: 1,399
That's the jacket I have - high-viz Darien Light. Only minor squabble I have is how much it shows the bugs. I think it'd be worth getting the black patches to hide some of that. But then again ... fook it. It's mainly about being seen and protected.

When I bought mine, I first bought the Darien Regular jacket. But it was so heavy and stiff, and the reviews on the Light were so good, I tried out the LIght and never went back.

However, on the pants, some sort of logic told me to stick with the heavy duty ones. It wasn't until BMWKTMBill said he'd stopped by the factory in MiniSoda, talked with some of the tech guys there, and found that the Light fared almost as well as the Regular.

Based on that, and given the weight and comfort difference, I now wish I'd gone the Light route. In fact, I may end up buying a 2nd pair of pants, this time in Light. I would definitely stick with the black pants; the high viz would look like barfarama in no time - as dirty as I get stuff.

I do remember, though, on a trip up to B.C. when I stopped at a little dive store in the middle of nowhere, bought a soda, and sat down on the porch watching the grass grow. Looked at the thermometer and it was 103F in the shade. I was not uncomfortably hot with the jacket off and the pants on.

I'm weird though, I seem to do better than most in hot weather. It's the cold temps that get me. But with a Warm n' Safe jacket under the Darien, and heated grips, I seem to do fine down into the upper 30s.

Anyway, if you go Light, and get a high-viz top with black pants, you'll have yourself a nice giddup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLSelph
I wondered if the Darian Light protected as well but was just a little less warm. I do like the Hi-Viz yellow. I'd look like a big banana going down the road but hopefully people would notice me.

I was just looking thru some old issues of MCN. The editors pick for a jacket was the Darian Light in the Hi-Viz. They usually recommend good stuff.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:57 PM   #5
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,738
Rode thru the rain forest in brazil and the gobi desert in mongolia.
Darien lite jacket and pants.

Behind the camel is China, the temp is around 110F degrees.
b.

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:07 AM   #6
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
I was looking at the "Lites" on Aerostitch's site and see that you can get the Lite with or without the liner. Seeing as a have a fleece liner from my Killi jacket and a Gerbing heated jacket could I save a few bucks and not get Aerostitche's liner?

Is there something special about it?
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
rxcoop
persnickety curmedgeon

Oddometer: 1,657
not really...but when i sold my darien outfit (to buy a 2pc roadcrafter...i LOST weight, go figure)...i kept the liner. it makes such a nice throw-on jacket for shoveling snow, etc, couldnt bear to part with it. its your call, and as always YMMV..
<applicant for "Official Pharmacist of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" (r)>

rxcoop screwed with this post 12-20-2008 at 12:40 PM
rxcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
RoundTrip
Unintentional deerslayer

Oddometer: 1,297
If you are looking for a waterproof pair of pants that will work really well in the heat, take a look at the BMW ComfortShell pants. Terrific armor and crash protection and they are made out of a "magic" fabric that adjusts to changing temps.

I wear them year round in the AZ desert.

-jeff

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
- Thomas Jefferson
RoundTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:45 PM   #9
WLSelph OP
Adventurer

Do the BMW Comfortshell pants come from the BMW dealer or online? Thanks.