Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #16
ADVHOOLIGAN
DRZ400SM Do-All Sport

Oddometer: 38
First post here. Been lurking, purchasing a F800GS in the next 1-2 months.

Anyway, I read an article on the new BMW F800R due out in May and it stated "redesigned throttle linkage for improved response". Could this be a re-design of the current linkage on the F800GS or F650GS? If it turns out to be better, I wonder if the "new" linkage would fit the F800GS? Maybe BMW has been listening to customer complaints and found a solution.
ADVHOOLIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #17
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVHOOLIGAN
First post here. Been lurking, purchasing a F800GS in the next 1-2 months.

Anyway, I read an article on the new BMW F800R due out in May and it stated "redesigned throttle linkage for improved response". Could this be a re-design of the current linkage on the F800GS or F650GS? If it turns out to be better, I wonder if the "new" linkage would fit the F800GS? Maybe BMW has been listening to customer complaints and found a solution.
BMW never listens to customer complaints. They know what is best for us, and they are usually right.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:39 AM   #18
Dagwood_55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
I don't have a 800, but a couple of years aga, I had a KTM 990 with FI. It had the same problem and nearly drove me crazy at first. I did these things and all helped a little, but put together, totally cured it.

First, I put Akra pipes on it and it helped meybe 25%.

Then I dremeled the slot that the throttle cable slides in. A G2 will do the same thing. Helped a little more

Thirdly, KTM finally came out with a remap and problem was totaelly cured.

Then the next week, I sold it and bought a GSA, then I was really happy!!
Old 04-30-2009, 08:15 AM   #19
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
My bike had very little throttle resistance, which meant a lot of inadverdent throttle apps on rocky roads. Carefully took the slack out which helped a lot. My OEM battery conveniently died at the same time, so was disconnected for 24 hrs. Seems much better now with the new battery. Anybody know if the ECU has a rider learning curve? or am I just imagining further improvement.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #20
Bok Befok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagwood_55
I don't have a 800, but a couple of years aga, I had a KTM 990 with FI. It had the same problem and nearly drove me crazy at first. I did these things and all helped a little, but put together, totally cured it.

First, I put Akra pipes on it and it helped meybe 25%.

Then I dremeled the slot that the throttle cable slides in. A G2 will do the same thing. Helped a little more

Thirdly, KTM finally came out with a remap and problem was totaelly cured.

Then the next week, I sold it and bought a GSA, then I was really happy!!
the ktm adv's had the same problem, the G2 throttle came makes the biggest improvement, i assume they would make one for the F800.
Bok Befok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #21
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacky Joe
the ktm adv's had the same problem, the G2 throttle came makes the biggest improvement, i assume they would make one for the F800.
Not yet. At least not listed on their website, and they haven't gotten back to me about when it might be coming. I sent an e-mail a couple months ago. I would bet its on the way though.

Rob in Seattle
Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 PM   #22
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
I got a remap at the dealer a couple of weeks ago and after that No Problemo. Much better I think. At least I'm not bothered at all by the throttle response now as I was before.
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #23
ADVHOOLIGAN
DRZ400SM Do-All Sport

Oddometer: 38
FWIW, I found the article on the F800R and this was the exact quote.......

"A revised linkage makes throttle response even more precise and easy to modulate".

Translation: BMW initially F'd up, but we have now quietly fixed it on the newer bikes, so it should work better, but don't tell anyone, except the moto press.

The bike I took on a demo ride was a 2009 model and I assume it had the newer maps and it was quite noticable. This bike only had 270 miles on it though.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #24
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhar54
Not yet. At least not listed on their website, and they haven't gotten back to me about when it might be coming. I sent an e-mail a couple months ago. I would bet its on the way though.

Rob in Seattle

They took a while to get back to me also Rob. But they did confirm there is one available. They did not give me a part number however....
I asked specifically regarding the heated grip option and their response stated they were not making one as the element is part of the grip and thus the standard model should work. I haven't checked into anything further personally. I would like to have a little more travel initially for offroad but using the traditional 'fingers on brake' method works well enough for now.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #25
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
I have posted on this before. I have had the G2 bmw grip in my hand. It does not have a heating element but the BMW heating element is one of those sticky element pads that goes under the rubber grip. If you are lucky you may be able to peel off the old one and reuse or go aftermarket. The G2 was $70 from my BMW dealer.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:15 AM   #26
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
I'm not at all sure there are a lot of degrees of freedom here. BMW could remap the throttle position sensors to make the response just about anything they want. All the remapping in the world or different throttle cam shape or throttle linkage design is not going to alter the fact that you have an 85 HP bike off road. I've ridden KX500's and CR500's and other high HP bikes off road, and the feeling is always the same - yikes this thing wants to get away from you. I think you just have to get used to it, and adjust your riding style and technique to accomodate the physics.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #27
lawe
lawe

Oddometer: 141
Yes. tmex, that's true. But the bike actually feels a bit smoother after a software upgrade. Or maybe i just got used to it :-)

No matter what. I just love this bike more and more. Of course there are things that could have been done better on it, but owerall it's a great bike!
lawe is offline   Reply With Quote