Hugh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202

Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:45 AM   #1517
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,672
The shots from that concert look like they could be from California or Florida - you're half a globe away in a jungle, but people are the same. Kinda cool in a way, no?

Keep it coming SV!
Old 07-14-2005, 06:19 PM   #1518
Hugh
Gnarly Adventurer

Getting a better view

Getting the right idea

Jumping to Blue Grass

Lovin music from the Heartland

Performers from Thailand

She could not hold still, nor could we

The Foghorn String Band from Portland Oregon

The Grand Finale
Old 07-15-2005, 03:42 PM   #1519
Closer
Closer to Free

Oddometer: 21
Glen, too weird! Check out the curly-haired chick in the the first photo of Hugh's most recent post (#1644).
You have met her before. Her name is Rose (from Holland) and I was with her and her English boyfriend, when I ran into you in Chang Rai.
The last I saw of them, they were having a "heavy parting", as they both like to travel separately for months at a time (guess I now know where she headed).
You remember THAT day, don't you Glen?
If I recall correctly, you gave me 30 minutes to pack and meet you at your hotel, as we had to leave town in a real hurry...
Old 07-15-2005, 05:22 PM   #1520
Hugh
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 07-15-2005, 05:57 PM   #1521
com3
Banned

Oddometer: 673
i think that's yao ming on the left...

com3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 05:23 PM   #1522
Hugh
Gnarly Adventurer

In the Hands of the Chinese
July 13, 2005
East Malaysia

Although life is richer in Asia, it’s also far more of a struggle. From early Dynasties to a modern Republic, China has often overproduced people, who eventually migrate elsewhere. From fleeing homeland hardships to provide slave-labor building America’s railroads to dodging famine by drifting into Southeast Asia, the Chinese have always been on the move. Humming with diligence, they never stand idle. As the wisest of immigrants, they perpetuate ancient superstitions alongside the basics of their trade--perseverance equals prosperity.

Accustomed to toil, the Chinese are natural born business-people who understand human necessities and satisfy them wherever they ultimately land. Throughout Southeast Asia, they comprise fifteen percent of the populations, yet control the majority of commerce. Travelers in the region soon learn, it’s the Chinese who offer the best values in hotels, restaurants and money changing. Consistent with accommodating the needs of men, in Bangkok, Thai-Chinese government officials even own chains of multistory brothels.

First welcomed as cheap labor and then resented for success, when economies stumble, the Chinese are first to be blamed. Malaysian riots of 1969 led to the open slaughter of two thousand in the streets of Kuala Lumpur. Indonesia demanded Chinese abandon their cultural identity by taking Muslim names and stripping their businesses of anything written in Chinese. Even Chinese medicine was forbidden by law. When hard times hit Jakarta, it’s still Chinese shops and restaurants that go up in flames. But they rise again.

Westerners measure success by quarterly reports and stock market updates. Chinese measure progress over centuries. Communist control in mainland China is only a strangling moment in the longest lasting civilization on earth. After civil war, feeding, housing and restoring peace for a billion peasants required brutal control at enormous human cost. Yet now the world can only marvel and wonder how their growing prosperity will affect the future.

Far more pragmatic than the West comprehends, we now stand gaping while the giant awakens--flexing. As immigrants ridiculed for their ways and wary of those who’ve turned on them, the Chinese learned to keep to themselves. But revisiting the same restaurants and businesses ultimately yields peeks into their lives they’re unwilling to show strangers.

Guided by legendary wisdom obscured in myth, the Chinese have forgotten more than the West has yet to learn. Whether Christian or Buddhist, solemn respect for elders while worshipping ancestors is a common link wherever they settle. Outsiders continually complain, “Everywhere they live, the Chinese will always be Chinese.”

It took a week of fried-duck lunches with reluctant Mr. Woo to convince him of my sincerity. “For what you want to know about Chinese?”

“I have ridden that motorcycle the world to hear your stories.”

Shaking his index finger he explains, “The natives here, they come from Indonesia five hundred years ago--the Chinese only two hundred. My father born in China, I born here. My family work many shops.”

Chinese never flash their wealth. This scrawny old man with four long hairs sprouting from a chin mole is as likely to own this part of town as to be a pensioner. Everyday when greeting me, this frail, stooping man with a three-day stubble squeezes my hand with an iron claw. Aware this hurts, he still comments, “Ah you wery strong man.” But the barriers crumble today with an invitation to his “Special place for Chinese man only.” Next to his faded checkered shirt with buttoned up collar, I don’t feel out of place in riding clothes for wherever we’re headed.

From a darkened back-alley doorway, we follow wafts of incense up a grimy old staircase to a flimsy wooden door. Two rings on the bell make a smudgy window slide open and a muttering of exchanges as we’re hustled inside. Mamasan is hesitant but Mr. Woo insists, “Ying Ying for my fren.”

For an hour and a half, a solid “Nine” in any culture, kneads and pummels back muscles knotted from the last thousand miles. What the sleek, vanilla-skinned beauty does with her hands exceeds what other women have attempted by conventional means. Dazed and amazed, it takes a few minutes to stand on wobbly legs while Ying Ying waves off my stammering marriage proposals. Slipping back into a high-neck, red silken gown, she kisses my cheek and glides down the hall to send the next customer through his dreams of heaven. Before disappearing behind a dragon-embroidered curtain, the sensuous porcelain doll with soft black eyelashes turns to bow “You like Ying Ying, you come again.”

locovikingman@yahoo.com

Considering an offer to ride the Beast

I told them not to get dressed up just for a picture

Small town biker babes posing under the watchful eye

Small town biker rolled his chopper up for a photo together

When they see the camera they always request a photo
Old 07-17-2005, 08:55 PM   #1523
GregInBoulder
Jerry rules. Get over it.

Oddometer: 2,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
Westerners measure success by quarterly reports and stock market updates. Chinese measure progress over centuries. Communist control in mainland China is only a strangling moment in the longest lasting civilization on earth. After civil war, feeding, housing and restoring peace for a billion peasants required brutal control at enormous human cost. Yet now the world can only marvel and wonder how their growing prosperity will affect the future.
The rise of the Chinese will be THE most interesting chapter in our lives. Well said, Glen.

"Stupid should be painfull" - FatChance
GregInBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 05:21 AM   #1524
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 26,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInBoulder
The rise of the Chinese will be THE most interesting chapter in our lives. Well said, Glen.
I guess I'd better start studying Mandarin.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:58 AM   #1525
com3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
I guess I'd better start studying Mandarin.
+cantonese
Old 07-18-2005, 10:52 AM   #1526
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by com3
+cantonese
As I understand it (native californian raised in SF where Cantonese was quite common), Cantonese is the dialect of Hong Kong and southern China, but the communists are quite determined to enforce Mandarin of Beijing as the official language of all of China and are eradicating regional dialects.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:44 PM   #1527
com3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
As I understand it (native californian raised in SF where Cantonese was quite common), Cantonese is the dialect of Hong Kong and southern China, but the communists are quite determined to enforce Mandarin of Beijing as the official language of all of China and are eradicating regional dialects.

you understand it correctly i was just throwing out wonton (no pun intended) info merely for the sake of posting, but not really having anything to say. hehe.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:31 PM   #1528
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,806
If you ever receive travel advice from Beemer Boy, make sure to take it. Still crossing Borneo but will likely load up on a barge and head inland from Sibu. Fucking awesome here! Thanks again Roberto.
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 03:23 AM   #1529
Hugh
Gnarly Adventurer

Head Hunter Tattoo shop Borneo

In charge of tattoo selection

You'd think I'd grow out of this by now
Old 07-19-2005, 06:00 AM   #1530
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,343
Thumb

I bought the book!!! I started reading it last night! excellent!