User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2008, 09:31 PM   #5521
macgart
johnny mac

Oddometer: 194
S.V.

I've read your book a couple of times now and find new inspiration and joy each time. While your ordeal in Colombia, and subsequent resolve afterwords, are truly inspiring your descriptions of the people and situations you encountered are a true pleasure to read. I traveled to numerous impoverished countries while in the military and volunteered on my time off in most to help build or remodel schools or community buildings. Your stories brought back many fond memories of the people and places that have shaped me as a person. Thank you.

That said, some friends and I are planning on riding our bikes down Baja and across to Mazatlan then up over Espinoza to Durango to visit a friend before heading north and home. Hopefully we'll bump into you along the way, provided our politicians don't bankrupt the country in the meantime.

~ Ted Simon, Jupiter's Travels ~

http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com
macgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:04 AM   #5522
RUOK
no, no I guess not

Oddometer: 316
I'm a newbie here having just found this site, Glens adventure is unbelievable, really digging it ,but almost all his photos are not there, just wondering where they went?
RUOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #5523
NomadRip
Always a n00b

Oddometer: 3,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK
I'm a newbie here having just found this site, Glens adventure is unbelievable, really digging it ,but almost all his photos are not there, just wondering where they went?
You can see a bunch of them and follow along on his site here: http://www.strikingviking.net/

Some of those original ones are still online on this long page, but I don't know who owns that page: http://hotfootmail.com/glen/glen.html

Save 20% when you sign up to the best photo hosting site around: SmugMug!
NomadRip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:16 PM   #5524
Pine Sol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
this is a great read, to know that i am not alone,

i have surfered along in silence, alone out in the big world. after nearly 12yrs wandering around this planet as a backpacker, this chapter is nearly finished, and the next one is long over due. as money is running very low, there seems little choice but to head back to cdn, get a job, save up and buy a bike.

my aim is to be on the road next fall (that is unless i get side tracked, heaven knows that the last time that happened i lost 12yrs.)

keep up the updates coming, helps to keep my mind focused while i am still out walking...
Pine Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #5525
jazzer
Lost again... Yeah!

Oddometer: 203
Hi Glen,

I finished your book last night, and want to tell you how much I enjoyed it. I expected a good read but my expectations were exceeded. You are really a fine writer.

At one point in the book you retorically ask.. how much is enough (speaking about wealth). I recently read Lee Iaccoca's book "Where have all our leaders gone" and surpisingly he pretty much asks the same question. Maybe people are starting to look in a common direction. I am a capitalist at heart (I own my business and I do OK) but my heart went out to the people you wrote about.

Thanks for the great book.

Ken
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:58 PM   #5526
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgart
S.V.

I've read your book a couple of times now and find new inspiration and joy each time. While your ordeal in Colombia, and subsequent resolve afterwords, are truly inspiring your descriptions of the people and situations you encountered are a true pleasure to read. I traveled to numerous impoverished countries while in the military and volunteered on my time off in most to help build or remodel schools or community buildings. Your stories brought back many fond memories of the people and places that have shaped me as a person. Thank you.

That said, some friends and I are planning on riding our bikes down Baja and across to Mazatlan then up over Espinoza to Durango to visit a friend before heading north and home. Hopefully we'll bump into you along the way, provided our politicians don't bankrupt the country in the meantime.
See you in Mazatlan

strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #5527
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUOK
Toward the end of my journey, the server crashed.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #5528
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine Sol
this is a great read, to know that i am not alone,

i have surfered along in silence, alone out in the big world. after nearly 12yrs wandering around this planet as a backpacker, this chapter is nearly finished, and the next one is long over due. as money is running very low, there seems little choice but to head back to cdn, get a job, save up and buy a bike.

my aim is to be on the road next fall (that is unless i get side tracked, heaven knows that the last time that happened i lost 12yrs.)

keep up the updates coming, helps to keep my mind focused while i am still out walking...
Don't even think about home, it no longer exists.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #5529
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzer
Hi Glen,

I finished your book last night, and want to tell you how much I enjoyed it. I expected a good read but my expectations were exceeded. You are really a fine writer.

At one point in the book you retorically ask.. how much is enough (speaking about wealth). I recently read Lee Iaccoca's book "Where have all our leaders gone" and surpisingly he pretty much asks the same question. Maybe people are starting to look in a common direction. I am a capitalist at heart (I own my business and I do OK) but my heart went out to the people you wrote about.

Thanks for the great book.

Ken
Gracias amigo. As more people get out to see the world and some of the massive suffering, we'll act.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #5530
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,563
Finally took the time to finish this thread. What a read. Glen, thank you for sharing with us. I certain hope to see one of your shows in my area again. I will be there now that I know about them.

If you are ever bouncing through Pennsylvania, you havea friendly place to take a load off and enjoy a beer or three. Sorry, no $5 lap dances around here though
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:40 PM   #5531
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Wonderful insights!
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #5532
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingviking
Don't even think about home, it no longer exists.
That's right.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #5533
cammyontheback
ADV'ers

Oddometer: 537
Glen,

I'm reading your book this weekend!......WOW!

Great story/ride. Can hardly put it down.

Thank-you.

BTW, While on a ride this summer I met a guy, sorry, name escapes me, that said he was your buddy that went to SA to help u in 2001. He seemed like a good guy. He rode an F650GS (Can't remember if it was a Dakar or not) The bike had a HUGE aftermarket fuel tank on it. Rode with him for a while until we went different forks in the road, with a wave.

Travel safe!

Mark
Old 10-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #5534
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammyontheback
Glen,

I'm reading your book this weekend!......WOW!

Great story/ride. Can hardly put it down.

Thank-you.

BTW, While on a ride this summer I met a guy, sorry, name escapes me, that said he was your buddy that went to SA to help u in 2001. He seemed like a good guy. He rode an F650GS (Can't remember if it was a Dakar or not) The bike had a HUGE aftermarket fuel tank on it. Rode with him for a while until we went different forks in the road, with a wave.

Travel safe!

Mark
That was my brother Brad Neste, also senior Black Belt in my school--one of the most determined human beings who you will ever meet. He is also mentioned in my book.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:25 AM   #5535
xrmattaz
sputum is my bread/butter

Oddometer: 3,205
Wicked

Glen, email sent.

Any chance I'll ever see (well......hear) your book on Audible.com?

I like someone else to read to me.
'00 KLR (#6 since '88, keeping this one!)
'06 Road Glide
Coupla street legal quads, gotta love AZ!
'06 Gas Gas TXT300 Raga (gone...back surgeons fault)
Many many others since 1976, first 3 "cars" in my life were motorbikes.
xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote