Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2004, 02:36 PM   #46
vege
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
hey SV, as you say, practice, practice , practice. The slow speed skills are the ones that help at higher speeds, stand up ,keep your feet on the pegs and momentum. Being able to slow down , keep your balance and choose the best line are skills everybody needs and most dont have. Figures of eight and tight circles in 1st and 2nd gear can be done anywhere, it always gets people watching...

I understand your dilemma re posting TMI , and trying to sell a book. The idea you have of a pictorial book is imho, the right one. Obviously you will need to chronicle the problems and solutions, way points and local customs, especially the women (jo momma rules will be good in a coffeee table book) that hint of exotica.... and of course the riding. You have been doing it long enough to know what is needed, and from what i have seen you rock.

perhaps you could sell subscriptions to the book as you travel, so that when you finish ,some of the funding is in place. Have you tried American express for sponsorship.? You know the saying.. dont leave home without it

Godspeed, good luck, keep it upright. Vege.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:43 PM   #47
NAVIGATOR
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,704
Hey, SV:
I'm so glad that you are making such a trip, estoy verde de envidia (de la buena).
Have a safe trip and take care, remember it's a jungle out there (after riding in Mexico anything is peanuts).
Keep us posted
GS
NAVIGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 03:19 PM   #48
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,058
Howdy,

Man reading about Jimmy's class kills me. We need someone like that here in Texas!! Jimmy, you know anybody over this way that does that kind of thing?

SV, I'd really like to know what kind of gear you will be using: riding gear, luggage, what you pack, etc,...

I sit around fantasizing about doing a trip like this all the time. My wife can tell when I get that far away look and just rolls her eyes. She has no understanding of that nagging feeling that eats away at me to get out there and see the world before I get so bogged down in daily living that it never happens.

I hope you have a safe and great journey!

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 03:45 PM   #49
cap
Vice of Reason

Oddometer: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingviking
..Makes sense--by doing so, I transferred two hundred twenty pounds from the motorcycle seat to the foot pegs and lowered the center of gravity eighteen inches. .
If you are saying that by standing on the pegs, one lowers the CG, then I disagree. I hope this wasn't one of the lessons in physics that you alluded to earlier in your otherwise excellent post.

Cap
cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 01:18 PM   #50
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
[QUOTE=strikingviking] If you have suggestions, fire away. I can use all the help I can get.

Hey,

I just learned a couple of things that you might already know, but just in case you don't........

You don't need a carnet to ride from Vladivostok to Europe (witch is the way I think you said you were going) so you might be waiting until you go somewhere that you need it before paying for it. You DO need a carnet if you transit through Japan. I'm going into the "stans" and crossing the middle east so, after ridding from home to Argentina without one, I got one and I can transit through Japan.

Also, I just heard that it is against the law to have a GPS in Russia, so take precautions to smuggle it in and hide it when you aproach military checkpoints.

Pete
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 02:10 PM   #51
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
If you are saying that by standing on the pegs, one lowers the CG, then I disagree. I hope this wasn't one of the lessons in physics that you alluded to earlier in your otherwise excellent post.
I hear that a lot. I don't have a degree in physics nor have I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express lately, but here comes a wad of specualtion on my part to muddy the waters Standing on the pegs actually RAISES the combined center of gravity of the rider/bike. However, what it also does is change the location where the mass of the body acts against the bike relative to the ground. When sitting, the inertial forces from the mass of your body generally get trasmitted to the bike at the seat. The moment arm for those forces is from the seat to ground, a rather long moment arm. However, when you stand, those forces are now transmitted to the bike at the pegs resulting in a much shorter moment arm relative to the ground. The reason I think this helps is because your body can get tossed around without generating as much of a distrubing torque on the bike from side to side. It also makes it easier to quickly shift your weight to the front/back or side/side.

Quote:
Also, I just heard that it is against the law to have a GPS in Russia, so take precautions to smuggle it in and hide it when you aproach military checkpoints.
Against U.S. law or Russian law?

Adios,

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 02:31 PM   #52
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap

Cap
I think when seated the mass of the bike and rider are one, when standing, because the bike can move independently, they are somewhat seperated and so you now have two entities to deal with

Also the riders load on the bike is moved from above the seat to the footpegs, closer to the fulcrum point of the tyres contact patch.

Sit down and weight the pegs and very little happens, stand up, and you can completely control the bike by loading the pegs.
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 02:49 PM   #53
O'Hooligan
Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer: 624
OOh arrgh big words from a manky manc like fulcrum! But when you stand up you have so much further to fall!
O'Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 03:15 PM   #54
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouser
OOh arrgh big words from a manky manc like fulcrum! But when you stand up you have so much further to fall!
I think Houllier uses your logic in relationship to league table positions

Where the hell you been scally
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 03:35 PM   #55
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,800
Quote:
Vladivostok is far off the beaten path. Fed X wanted seven grand. I might have to truck to Seatle for a flight from there if one exists.
An alternate would be to fly your bike to Japan and ferry across to Vladivostok. http://www.seejapan.co.uk/transport/...rnational.html
Scroll down to the bottom for Japan/Russia schedules
Cheers Ed
sandgroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 03:40 PM   #56
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,862
Re: GPS in Russsia. I have been in touch with Herbert and he says it's wise to declare it upon entry and maybe cover it at check points. He doubts they will know what it is anyway.
I intend to list it as an electronic map in the customs declaration so I won't get hassled when I depart Russia.
Pete--Where did you buy your carnet down in BA? How much was it? See you on the Mongolian border 7/10.
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 03:31 AM   #57
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 972
Hey SV. Dont worry man, I'd buy your book even if the entire thing was published on the net for free. Not to blow smoke up your ass, but I like to support people who have the guts to pull off the type of stuff that you do.
Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 07:32 AM   #58
turkish
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,140
Quote:
Heather, Glen and Jimmy.
How come Jimmy looks taller than you? Did you use some kind of weird lens on the camera for that shot?
turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 08:13 AM   #59
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley
Hey Striking,

I'm still in Buenos Aires (easy place to get stuck in).
Pete
glad to see you around here.
I'm being following your progress to comun friends,,I hope the bikes gets better and you can continue your journey in a short time

NOTE:will be nice if you post a link to you "Diary" for others to follow,,don't you think..
Old 05-15-2004, 11:21 AM   #60
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Re: GPS in Russsia. I have been in touch with Herbert and he says it's wise to declare it upon entry and maybe cover it at check points. He doubts they will know what it is anyway.
I intend to list it as an electronic map in the customs declaration so I won't get hassled when I depart Russia.
Pete--Where did you buy your carnet down in BA? How much was it? See you on the Mongolian border 7/10.
I guess Herbert would know regarding GPS in Russia. I normally call it an electronic map anyway when people ask what it is. When I try to explain to people that I'm using satelites to get around, they tend not to believe me anyway.

I got my carnet by contacting Suzanne Danis at the Canadian Automobile Association on Grant Johnsons recomendation (you have to call, because her spam blocker blocks you if you're not on her approved list). She really knows here stuff and was a pleasure to work with. It should be at Dakar motors by Tuesday, arriving by Fed Ex. It costs about $400, but you have to post at least the value of you bike. If you are going to somewhere like India (which I recommend) you will have to post 300% of your bikes value. Plan on at least 120%. I tried telling her my bike was only worth $1,600, but she used the blue book value. The CAA hangs onto the money and if you bring the bike back to the US, you get the money back (no interest). You have to get the carnet in the country the bike is registered in so if your bike is still registered in Panama, you better get to work. The US is the only country that does not participate in this system, but the Canadians have agreed to do it for us (and charge us more than Canadians pay).

See you on the road.

Pete
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote