Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #6871
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by N9921X View Post
Hi Glen,

Awhile back you posted about the fellow from Asia that came over for a tour. I followed every bit of his RR.
Question: Is there currently any activity in the US with a foreign rider? Is there a special place in advrider to search?
Pete from Berkeley and I both became very busy this last year and decided to take a temporary break from our sponsorship program. Stay tuned though, something is in the works for next year.
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #6872
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgart View Post
I'm so glad to see you out adventuring again and sharing with those of us cut off at the knees by out lame brained government and corporate puppet masters.

You guys look so happy. It brightens my day every time I check in. Get Mrs. V to get after the pics!
Indeed, we are happy and I am well relieved that she really took to moto-adventuring--an absolute prerequisite around here.

Maybe we can get Ms. Viking to pose for a pic wearing her silver necklace from Taxco.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #6873
TomatoCan
Oh my goodness me.

Oddometer: 29
Great ride report and GREAT to see you back on the road where you belong. But I think you may have to change the name of this thread to "Striking Viking and Mrs. Viking bumming the world" now. Best wishes!
TomatoCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #6874
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

A very serious moment in mexico

We almost forgot to upload this video of the flag ceremony in Marquelia.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #6875
Patrol
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,366
Awesome RR Viking. I just discovered the ADV interview thread and read your interview from 2007. Yours and Baldy's interviews should be required reading to join this site. Mind-blowing. Your books seem even more profound after reading that interview, especially the new one. Most people with your history would be angry and jaded, not filled with compassion and fascination with your fellow man's lives.

Any FF who hasn't read this interview needs to go back and read it.

I'm ordering the new book for each of my brothers and close buddies.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #6876
Lunatic
Dan Keyhoety

Oddometer: 615
Overland Expo

Hey Glen ,

Are you going to make it to Overland Expo in Amado AZ to sign some books April 1st ?

Ted Simon and Grant Johnson will be there .

Cheers , Dan

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid that it will never start.

Arrogance is the anesthesia that dulls the pain of stupidity
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #6877
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post

I'm ordering the new book for each of my brothers and close buddies.

More money for Room to Read, those wonderful folks building schools in the developing world.

Thanks amigo!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #6878
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=hludwit;15256565]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Viking View Post
Hi guys I just wanted to introduce myself. I am Hiba from Lebanon and now known to all as Ms. Viking.

Congratulation to Glen and You, and welcome to our asylum.
Glad to know there is one new inmate, Looking forward to your reports.
best regards
Hludwit
How about it fellow FFs? Is she officially one of us?
(Click to see Hiba video)

strikingviking screwed with this post 03-13-2011 at 02:52 PM
Old 03-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #6879
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingviking View Post
How about it fellow FFs? Is she officially one of us?

Just for putting up with you, hell yeah.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #6880
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,090
My vote

+ 100 ON THE--- OH HELL YES!!!!!

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #6881
Skrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
I think if she can ride the SV, she is an adventure rider!!

I mean,.,,,,her riding with the SV 3000+ miles, and a great smile and still laughing, yes, she is an adventure rider!

Thanks for the RR, looking forward to more!
Skrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #6882
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Just for putting up with you, hell yeah.
For that she needs a metal.

She is so understanding that once back in Mazatlan she pleaded with me to go out with my friends to the local strip club for a couple of lap-dances. But I told her no because I just wouldn't feel right about that...

NOT! (Unless I want to experience the Lorena Bobbit treatment.)
Old 03-14-2011, 01:22 PM   #6883
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingviking View Post
For that she needs a metal.

She is so understanding that once back in Mazatlan she pleaded with me to go out with my friends to the local strip club for a couple of lap-dances. But I told her no because I just wouldn't feel right about that...

NOT! (Unless I want to experience the Lorena Bobbit treatment.)
Good, grasshopper.

Your training is proceeding well.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #6884
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Is Mexíco safe?

Since first peddling a bicycle from Ensenada to Cabo San Lucas in the mid-eighties, to my brother Brad and I later retracing that route on our Harleys in 1998, much has changed in México. Eleven years ago, on a shakedown ride to Guatemala astride a KLR 650, experiencing the mainland unveiled far more opportunities to explore the diverse cultures of a country that so many North Americans have come to love. In 2001, both while on the way to and from riding South America, I realized that there would be no denying the lure of Latin America in general, but because of the relative safety and ease of travel, more so Mexíco. Like many other foreigners, I was succumbing to the seductive warmth and hospitality of a welcoming people.

Then, once returning from South America, an irresistible beckoning resulted in two more subsequent four-month journeys into Mexíco and Nicaragua. But this mysterious passion wouldn’t fade there. (It’s undeniable, my name is Glen and I am a Latin culture addict.)

In 2006, after a lengthy solo cruise around the earth, when departing Ethiopia, much to the dismay of family and friends, I opted to first airfreight into the more familiar refuge of happily chaotic Mexíco City rather than hyper-organized California. Be it on the road or where we are born, home is not necessarily where our bodies exist, but rather where our spirits thrive. It was then that I decided to rush back to Palm Desert, fill my panniers with worldly possessions and return to purchase Mexican property. I had moved to Mazatlán, permanently. Because the intensity of the previous years of international travel required a period of deep introspection to digest what had touched my soul—I realized that reconciling those events was not possible in the sterility of orderly America.

Writing my last book while living beyond the shadows of affluence in sunny Mazatlán was an occasional struggle to rationalize a world in flux through the eyes of a wandering biker. The satisfaction though, was to record those thoughts for others to experience and later evaluate, enjoy, and sometimes challenge. And posting journals in real time was a rewarding achievement--traveling through fifty-seven developing countries while daily sharing whatever crossed my mind with Internet voyeurs trapped in office cubicles.

And every year since living south of the US border, I’ve made it a point every winter, to roam Mexíco and Central America. Like always, I had traveled alone and without mentionable concerns for safety. Opinions vary on the wisdom of solo moto-travel, mostly regarding security or bringing along someone else to enjoy the journey. But for the first time since hitting the road hitchhiking across the US at age 16, I had to wonder about the wellbeing of another.

Because my brother Brad is also one of my senior black belts, I always knew he could handle any situation at least as well as me. As two experienced bikers we seldom had second thoughts when planning rides together. But recently, when mapping out "Hiba’s Big Adventure" of three thousand miles through Mexíco, for the first time, I had to consider potential dangers for a female, (even if she is Superwoman.) But she is familiar with life’s unprovoked tragedies from growing up during the Lebanese civil war that lasted until 1990 when the Syrians then marched in to occupy her country. Followed by sporadic, violent political unrest in this land of the Phoenicians, the UN finally helped expel Syrian soldiers. Then in 2006 in an effort to cripple Hizbollah by destroying the Lebanese infrastructure, the Israeli military invaded, firing three million cluster-bombs in five weeks on a nation the size of a large US county. Yet when all that happened and while the Druze killed members of her Catholic family, as an Arabic speaker, she managed to learn French (and Spanish) so she could earn her bachelors degree in psychology at the French university in Beirut. Following that, she studied American videos, spoke with tourists and quickly managed to teach herself English so she could eventually come to the US and finish her PhD. This woman does not scare easy.

Still, her safety was my responsibility and for the first time ever, I had to think about something that I never before worried about—was Mexíco safe?

As rabblerousing US politicians and extremist television pundits incite anger for personal gain, equally malicious counterparts thrive in México. An inept, corrupt government has convinced their public that more than the narcos themselves, it is American demand for drugs and weapons smuggled in from Texas that is the real reason for the murderous rampage plaguing their land. And the corporate monsters economically strangling hard working Mexican citizens divert attention by pointing a finger north, successfully shifting the blame for their ruthless greed to Los Gringos.

Having first sensed this growing divide ten years ago and commenting then, the situation has only worsened. As Hiba and I compare notes from our respective backgrounds, we conclude that like everywhere else in the world, in Mexíco, exploitation and corruption prevails uncontrollably as the guilty escape justice. In all-night conversations, we reluctantly confirm that the bad guys are winning.

I always knew that the euphoria of living in Mexíco, once peeling back the layers, would subside as the reality seeped in that people everywhere are basically the same. Yet once conversations with friends and neighbors became comfortable enough to discuss politics, I was sadly surprised to hear of such animosity toward Los Gringos. Whether necessary or not, building that wall between our two countries was extremely offensive to nearly all Latinos--as is the confusing signal that they are free to come and work for substandard wages if willing to crawl across our deserts dodging authorities. To them, this was a sign that as a people, they are not welcome. Combine that with political rhetoric and hateful punditry on both sides of the border, and it’s easy to understand why the gap between neighbors is widening.

But so far, other than typical street crime against tourists that exists in every country, foreigners have been exempt from kidnappings and murder. When you do hear of such actions against Americans, the victims are former Mexican nationals with US citizenship who are somehow involved in the drug trade. For now, it appears that the insanely gruesome criminal acts perpetuated across Mexíco are confined to narcos battling for turf. Thus far, travelers are off-limits. The question is though, as the violence explodes from border-towns to the countryside, how long before subsets of somewhat disciplined drug cartels zero in on softer targets?

However, living in Mexíco and traveling through Mexíco are separate issues. Due to the ever increasing, blood running in the streets of Mazatlán and other tourist areas, disinvesting appears prudent. Polling those whom I know reveals that foreigners with families are moving back to their respective countries while single males seem willing to discount the risk and stick it out.

For motorcyclists traveling the developing world, the most consistent danger is the often bewildering driving habits of locals and the unfortunate lack of adequate hospital facilities if the unthinkable should occur—once outside major cities, there are few trauma centers in Mexíco. To a somewhat lesser degree, Mexican cops often appear when least convenient to compensate for pathetically low salaries by fining traffic violators on the spot. Some might argue though that they would rather pay twenty bucks without the point against their driving records while also avoiding costly insurance premium hikes.

But if merely riding within or through areas far below the border, and if skipping politics while making polite attempts at speaking Spanish, motorcyclists in particular, will as usual, be classified as travelers versus tourists and likely continue to be greeted with typical Latin hospitality.

Ojalá que le vaya bien,
Glen and Hiba
Old 03-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #6885
worldrider
Adventure & Discovery

Oddometer: 1,219
good exposé, Glen. I just spent about 10 days in Guanajuato and León and was charmed, seduced and bitten as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingviking;15440120 […
disinvesting appears prudent. […]
so... what does that mean for SV?

'05 F650GS Dakar

My WorldRider Journey ADVrider Thread
worldrider is offline   Reply With Quote