Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2005, 09:40 AM   #751
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phloodpants
I don't see how satellite could work. Even if you could get service, I don't think Touratech makes a satellite dish mount for the F650. There's satellite phone and I think you can do internet wit it, but it's so expensive it wouldn't be worth it. (unless you can get sponsored)
the old school big fixed dishes are so 1990's... its phased array panel antennas now, about the size of a laptop computer's lid.

That system, a Hughes "Regional BGAN" satellite IP modem, does up to 114kbps packet radio, costs $11.50/megabyte and costs $500, which is actually a lot cheaper than I thought. This is a random google I found, http://www.outfittersatellite.com/rbgan.htm ... coverage map...

Of course, in the last 6 days, I've recieved 19GB and sent 25GB, but I'm a network abuser
Old 01-14-2005, 09:51 AM   #752
Phloodpants
Freelance subversive

Oddometer: 332
Well, I was thinking it would be a small pizza-sized dish.

That looks like a cool system!

...but $11.50 per MEGA byte? As in upload one 5MP image at 2.5MB and it costs you $28.75?
Phloodpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:53 AM   #753
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,808
Thanks for the input guys. Is anyone familiar with this system?
http://www.telestial.com/products/thuraya_7100.htm
I realize photos are out of the question but text is possible. My second choice is to be able to call someone and dictate journals for them to post. Too often I visit cities just for Internet access.

I don't know exactly where I'm headed--you guys know the drill. Just keep moving. Hey hey
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 09:56 AM   #754
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phloodpants
Pierce, neat stuff! I'm an IT guy and I've never heard of that system.

$11.50 per MEGA byte? As in upload one 5MP image at 2.5MB and it costs you $28.75?
well, me thinks you convert your images to websized, say, 800x600 and around 100kbytes, and upload those...

note if you read the fine print, that the total available bandwidth is shared. Also, noting the pictures of Iraq war participants, including press uplinking miniDV footage, I suspect there's a lot of traffic.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:12 AM   #755
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingviking
Thanks for the input guys. Is anyone familiar with this system?
http://www.telestial.com/products/thuraya_7100.htm
I realize photos are out of the question but text is possible. My second choice is to be able to call someone and dictate journals for them to post. Too often I visit cities just for Internet access.

I don't know exactly where I'm headed--you guys know the drill. Just keep moving. Hey hey
Thuraya uses the same satellite system as that R-BGAN thing I posted, but its only 9600 bps max, while the BGAN system is 144kbps packet. BGAN is purely for datacomm, you pay per megabyte rather than per minute (Thuraya is $1/minute or more, so 1 megabyte at 9600bps is going to be at least $20 or so assuming you get something resembling full bandwidth). This is a geostationary system, so round trip latencies are in the 1/2 second order, and it downlinks in the UAE, so packet times to the US will be even higher.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:32 AM   #756
Pete Rock
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
If the objective is just to upload journals, why not burn CDs and FedEx them to someone who will actually be able to upload them.
You could use available low speed conections to browse, check out sites, post text and stuff, since they should work fine for that, but not for uploading big pictures.

Pete Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 01:24 PM   #757
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,808
If I had access to Fed Ex, I would also have access to Internet. A sat phone was only a consideration for remote areas with no landlines. Often, the best places to visit don't even have electricity. In the past, evey few months, I would have a call-in day when I would post a phone number where I'd be for a twelve hour period. People checked from everywhere in the world and it was very cool. Some of these new phones have deals where incoming calls are free.

As for the journals, I try to post one every three or four days of what occured right then. You are almost experiencing this with me in real time. This is what keeps me sane when stuck in California--reading about someone else doing it. Half the fun is supposed to be about tracking the adventure up to the moment. As it is now, I email photos to Hugh after I post a journal and hope he gets them in time to upload them to go with the story.
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 08:54 PM   #758
JB_Strom
IYAOYAS

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
If I had access to Fed Ex, I would also have access to Internet. A sat phone was only a consideration for remote areas with no landlines. Often, the best places to visit don't even have electricity. In the past, evey few months, I would have a call-in day when I would post a phone number where I'd be for a twelve hour period. People checked from everywhere in the world and it was very cool. Some of these new phones have deals where incoming calls are free.

As for the journals, I try to post one every three or four days of what occured right then. You are almost experiencing this with me in real time. This is what keeps me sane when stuck in California--reading about someone else doing it. Half the fun is supposed to be about tracking the adventure up to the moment. As it is now, I email photos to Hugh after I post a journal and hope he gets them in time to upload them to go with the story.
Hi Glen,
First time replying, but I've been following your trip from the beginning.
I know you probably don't want to keep track of another gadget, but maybe a decent pocket sized voice recorder would help you out in the boonies, in case you don't have time to type. You could either call someone and play the tape for them or dictate like you said if it came to that. Even easier for them if they taped the call to make sure nothing was lost instead of trying to write it down right then. Take care Glen,

Jerry
JB_Strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 08:11 AM   #759
Jim Bud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,439
Glen, just a little question...??

I'm curious what you do for a haircut when you are in the corners of the world??? Eventually, we all need a haircut....or the helmet won't fit...

Keep up the great saga....

Jim Bud
traveling along in spirit....

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character......give him power".....Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 08:16 AM   #760
Sol y Sombra
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Impressive!
Old 01-15-2005, 09:35 AM   #761
ridin gaijin
el camino

Oddometer: 671
Quote:

Certain to lose a game of can-you-top-this with militant foot soldiers, I rise, tapping my watch. “I must go now, Israeli soldiers have my motorsickle, maybe they don’t give it back. Where is the bus to Erez?”

Christ what a pucker.
ridin gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 10:16 AM   #762
gmccon
Banned

Oddometer: 6,308
Striking Viking,

"Que cajones, hombre". You've got big ones, for sure.

When the West puts it's foot down on Iran's nukes via regime change, or whatever, Palestine will 'roll over'. Egypt wants nukes, Saudi wants 'em, and of course Iran is about to have them. This simply won't be permitted.

Just my opinion, of course, but I believe once Condi Rice restructures the State Department, she will diplomatically knock the socks off the Arab world, and we will have peace in the M.E. I believe we'll even be out of Iraq, for the most part, by year's end. Arabs and Muslims the world over, have the wrong impression of the West. Condi was born to fix this.

Will you visit Islamibad? Potentially more dangerous than the Gaza, no?

greg
gmccon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 12:05 PM   #763
Hugh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
A wall tall enough to blot sunsets

Angry mobs of Palestinians threatening me

Election day in Gaza

Entering Gaza through Israeli security

Entering human cages at Erez checkpoint, Gaza

Four years of occupation

Gaza

It takes three hours to cross this No Mans Land strip

Occupied Gaza

Palestinian man returning home

Recent car bomb attack

Separating East Jerusalem from West

Slain

The Good Life of Gaza

US Tax dolllars at work

Waiting for the ALL Clear from Red Cross after gunfire erupted
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 08:42 PM   #764
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,299
You are humanizing the issues, Glen. And with humanity comes understanding.

Thank you.

Ten cuidado, ok?
Old 01-16-2005, 05:13 AM   #765
Hugh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
After prayer discussion

Arab market, Walled City, Jerusalem

Dome Courtyard

Dome of the Rock

Fair warning

If your cart moves too fast, step on the brake