Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2005, 05:54 AM   #766
elfederiQo
rock'n'roll

Oddometer: 216
Fascinating impressions you are sharing with us, Glen! Seeing the Middle East through the lens of "a normal guy" (which you're not ) instead of journalists and television gives - at least for me - a very immediate feel of what is going on there and how complex the situation there is.

Keep it coming.....!
Old 01-17-2005, 01:57 AM   #767
elfederiQo
rock'n'roll

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by configurationspace
This is becoming non-trivial.
most famous performer (Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan) recently died but there are several excelent Qawwali musicians about in Pakistan and north India.
(Slightly getting off-topic, sorry )Didn't he perform a together with Pearl Jam for the "Dead Man Walking" Soundtrack? Loved that piece......no idea that he died already.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:02 AM   #768
Hugh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Bit of Karachi traffic

Dangerous Pakistanis

Downtown Karachi outside my hotel

Friendly natives

The crew from Seven Seas Shipping
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:04 AM   #769
bavarian
bavarian

Oddometer: 1,766
What I get out of it?? People are nice, friendly, helpful all over the planet.
There is a tiny percentage that tries to make life miserable for the rest of us. That's the ones who get the headlines. That's the ones that "sell the newspapers". But it's not like "that's what the world looks like". If each of us would travel a bit more, get in touch with other cultures a bit more we would see that the Media are one big bunch of liars. To hell with them. (Maybe less wars too???)
bavarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:12 PM   #770
LabRat
Playpen Attendant

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
Separating East Jerusalem from West
SV your reports are great and eye opening. This picture makes me sad It is sad a place symbolizing peace, hope and the basis of so many faiths needs to be divided. IMO Jerusalem should be the one place in the world where the differences in our faiths and religions are forgotten, and the similarities are celebrated. I am glad you are getting to experience both sides of the "wall" and bringing us along. Best of luck and safe travels.

J.D.

"Oh and LabRat's dead to me. " -- IcyDeath
LabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:13 AM   #771
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc
Glen, when you get your shipping all squared away and you pickup the bike in Pakistan, could you please post the shipping info on the Horizons Unlimited site as your shipping experience will be very valuable to any of us coming behind you...like myself...

Good luck with the shipping!
You wouldn't want to use these guys. I understood and accepted there might be a few added charges but not three hundred. They assured me a Sunday flight was confirmed but we have just been notified that it will be another week. Nice guys at Seven Seas but incompetent.
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:18 AM   #772
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phloodpants
Hey Glen,

There are some places in India that are so far off the grid that they actually have a motorcycle-based internet pony express. The motorcycle is equipped with a laptop and a wi-fi network. Once a day this motorcycle buzzes through town and people connect with their wi-fi cards to upload their email. The guy then motors back to the next city with internet access and delivers the email!
If you can find this person, give him a CD full of pictures to upload for you.

By the way, do you know what cities you'll be going to in India?
No set itinerary for India or Pakistan but even if there was, I wouldn't post it until after the fact. There's no telling who is listening out there and Pakistan is a particularly unnerving place at the moment. I would rather keep moving but when stuck in the same city, for security, I change hotels every other day. Because of car bombs, most people request rooms in the back.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:24 AM   #773
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_Strom
Hi Glen,
First time replying, but I've been following your trip from the beginning.
I know you probably don't want to keep track of another gadget, but maybe a decent pocket sized voice recorder would help you out in the boonies, in case you don't have time to type. You could either call someone and play the tape for them or dictate like you said if it came to that. Even easier for them if they taped the call to make sure nothing was lost instead of trying to write it down right then. Take care Glen,

Jerry
Actually back in the early eighties, that is what I used as a log, a micro-cassette. Very interesting response in China from villagers when playing their voices back to them. I don't mind typing at the end of the day, it helps calm frayed nerves. Getting the photos uploaded is always a cumbersome ordeal and when I figure that one, we'll be set.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:26 AM   #774
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bud
I'm curious what you do for a haircut when you are in the corners of the world??? Eventually, we all need a haircut....or the helmet won't fit...

Keep up the great saga....

Jim Bud
traveling along in spirit....
I considered not shaving or getting a haircut since first departing, but it is getting to be a hassle and my beard is coming out grey. The Viking will soon buzz the fuzz.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:29 AM   #775
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin gaijin
Christ what a pucker.
I wasn't scared or anything but you couldn't have jammed a needle up my ass with a jackhammer and jar of vasoline.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:38 AM   #776
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccon
Striking Viking,

Will you visit Islamibad? Potentially more dangerous than the Gaza, no?

greg
Unfortunately, that is an understatement. For the first time since leaving California, I'm uneasy about the circumstances. There are constant warnings to not admit being American and to stay inside somewhere. This of course is not going to happen and the Pakistanis so far, are friendly. The Islamic World in general is wary of Westerners at the moment but that's why it's good to get around. We let each other know that we are all human and not so different.

If you focus on what you have in common with people, everyone gets along better. As I teach my students, I also live--constantly maintain a positive attitude and never quit smiling, even when you feel like slugging someone.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:51 AM   #777
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
You are humanizing the issues, Glen. And with humanity comes understanding.

Thank you.

Ten cuidado, ok?
That is my objective but as hard as I try to be unbiased, it's difficult because the situation in seldom balanced in who is right and wrong. Writing about the Middle East was trickiest because I wanted to present both sides and I was shocked whendiscovering the BS the media has been feeding us. At first, I wasn't going to write anything because it is so politically charged but how do you pass through the most volatile region on earth and not comment?

As any writer can tell you, no one is ever satisfied with what you write about them. If you wrote an honest Bio about your best friend, you would get hammered for mentioning or omitting what pleases or displeases them.

It's a delicate situation when writing about politics as an adventure travel writer. When you stick to adventure writing, most everyone likes you and wants to read your stuff. But as soon as you reveal what end of the spectrum you think, half your readers will be thrilled to know you feel that way and the other half will be so disillusioned they'll quit reading.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:07 AM   #778
strikingviking OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gran bandido
and having read your book, reading your posts have become part of daily routine. I always feel like I'm riding with you with your excellent descriptions. I realize it was probably impossible, but I would have loved to seen a pic of the Israeli "supermodel" border guard (and a few of the other females you've described in your travels). Women in the Middle East can be so striking. As always be safe, and have the wind at your back.
I'm sure you've all noticed the distinct absense of the Vikings favorite photos--Women of the World. At every opportunity, I pass out business cards with strikingviking.net stamped on the back and eventually most people log on. Since they might not speak English, they look at the photo gallery. They would be deeply offended by photos of Islamic women portrayed in ways they feel inappropriate. Preferably not at all. I doubt the Israelis in genereal, would be as radical but some might.

When doing a slide show in Egypt and we came to photos of Bedouin women posing, there was a gasp in the room. "Who gave you permission to take that picture?" "Did her father authorize that?" They were truly shocked at what they saw. My laptop could be seized anywhere along the line, and was likely inspected by Israeli agents curious about what I was up to. Just finding some of the revealing photos of Western women would cause a problem but if any were Islamic, prison would likely be the lightest sentence. I know this sounds like an exaggeration but it's the way it is here.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:17 AM   #779
Vance
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
I know I don't click in here to check out trim. I think you are doing an excellent job without the chicks. Much prefer the baby and Mom on your bike with you laughing. :-)

V
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #780
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Oddometer: 25,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
I know I don't click in here to check out trim. I think you are doing an excellent job without the chicks. Much prefer the baby and Mom on your bike with you laughing. :-)

V

note to self~ LEARN LIVE LOVE
Mulekick is offline   Reply With Quote