ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #46
wadventure
Mellow Adventurer
 
wadventure's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Lakewood Colorado
Oddometer: 224
Yeah, didn't look like what I remembered on Hancock (and haven't ridden Schofield), but for those of you thinking of these high passes, those pictures are on the order of Pearl Pass difficulty (or the top of Black Bear). Hancock isn't that rough looking (or riding!)

Thanks for playing name that pass gaspipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
That looks like Schofield Pass...?


Anyway, here is a file that has lots of the passes in it, plus the route I rode in CO last year. Lots of it will be good stuff for WF.
__________________
'09 300 EXC (my 525 replacement )
'11 690e R (makes me smile! - 525 / 990 replacement)
Say hi to Jeanne - she's UltraJ
wadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #47
B-Mac
Aged Beef
 
B-Mac's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Hocking Hills, OH
Oddometer: 627
BIG John's ride

[quote=MTNAdventureRider]Thanks for the feedback. I will have to mull this one over a little further. I really want to do this ride, but I am much more concerned about getting my 17 and 18 year old sons, on their XL600's into trouble.....than I am about getting over my head on the Strom. My WeeStrom has upgraded suspension, crash bars, TouraTech skid plate and TKC's......and I will take it a lot of places where get a lot of funny looks from guys and gals on 250's and 400's.....like: "What the hell are you doing on that thing, up here?"



John, I dont know the area at all, would this be a good ride on my WR. I am getting lazy(dont like walking bike thru extreme rock section) not out to prove anything or kill myslef. Plus you have two strong young adults that can drag my tired ass back on the trail. would like to go with you if you lead this. Brian
__________________
Brian DL1000K4 & Z1000
B-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #48
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride
 
Pablo83's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 4,792
If you want to join the American Flag Mountain ride, please see this tread, even if you've already asked to join the ride in this thread or in the main WF thread.

Thanks
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:53 AM   #49
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///
 
Hayduke's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Salida, coloRADo
Oddometer: 43,710
Canon City to Buena Vista dirt/gravel

I posted this in the West Fest thread but thought I'd add it here:

OK, YFFF! (You Flatlander FF's)

Bonnie Abbzug and I went out and did some reconnaissance for ya. It was a real chore, let me tell you.

So here's an attachment with a dirt/gravel route from Canon City, Colorado, to Buena Vista (just a few miles south of the Official West Fest campground).

This is 103 miles of gravel roads and dirt two-track, with very little pavement. The pavement that was neccessary (only a few miles) is all pretty nice, too. You go from red-rock canyon desert-like areas, up into aspen trees. The route gets you up high soon after Canon City so you get out of the heat. Much better than the pavement route, IMHO. This way as soon as you get to the mountains, you can get off of the pavement!

I would have no hesitation taking a loaded V-strom fitted with tourances on this route. Hell I'd throw Bonnie on the back of there for traction, too, but that's just me. There are a few spots you would need to pay attention, but a big bike is fine for this.

The route goes through some very scenic and remote country and there is no fuel, so gas up in Canon city. There is one waypoint for the tiny little store/restaurant in Guffey if you need to stop for food.

There is also one waypoint where the route crosses Hwy 285. At this point you could bail out and slab it into town. The next section has a very short steep downhill and a couple of short stretches of sand-wash- about 1/2 mile total. Also one small stream crossing. If you just loathe sand ( ) you could bail down 285, but let it be known you'll be missing a really fun section with the most amazing views all day. Don't say I didn't tell ya.

This route is a little bit circuitous- you may notice more direct routes along the way. I gave priority to the fun roads, scenery, and avoided some of the more populated areas. You won't see many people on this...

One more thing: You may or may not come across some closed gates or barbed wire gates. This route is entirely open, public roads, so if you come to a closed gate go on through, and just close the gate behind you.

This route took us about 4 hours from Canon to BV, but we were definitely smelling the roses and did couple of backtracks to find routes. I'd give yourself 3-4 hours.

Some pics from the ride. Don't look if you want to be suprised.























I hope someone takes this route! It beats hell out of riding pavement to BV.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Canon City to Buena Vista dirt-gravel.gpx (67.3 KB, 165 views)
__________________
"What these people need is some mental psychology."-Bonnie Abbzug

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #50
Kenny M.
Tepid Adventurer
 
Kenny M.'s Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Santa Rosa, Ca. Soon to Eureka, Ca.
Oddometer: 319
I'm fairly new to dirt. I will be bringing the GS1150 and my TW200. The GS for some of the paved and graded passes and the TW for the two track. I've ridden the TW in Death Valley and half of the Rubicon from the Tahoe side. Will the TW be to slow and under powered for most of these rides? Will there be Noob rides or patient ride leaders?
__________________
Kenny M.
Santa Rosa. Ca.
04 R1150 GS
74 Norton Commando
10 KLX250s
Kenny M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:23 PM   #51
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride
 
Pablo83's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 4,792
Sunday I want to do Pearl and Taylor Pass. Here's the route; Cottonwood Pass, 748, Grassy Tr, Hunter Hill Tr, Brush Creek Tr, Pearl Pass, Ashcroft, Taylor Pass, home. I haven't done either pass. I have done the other trails and they include single track, water crossings, rocks, hillclimbs, and exposure. I'm looking for a very small group of experienced riders, 4 max. You'll need a big tank.

Click here for more info and to join

Pablo83 screwed with this post 07-26-2009 at 10:35 PM
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #52
wadventure
Mellow Adventurer
 
wadventure's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Lakewood Colorado
Oddometer: 224
Plan to refill in Aspen and CB and you'll be fine. Have fun! Be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83
Sunday I want to do Pearl and Taylor Pass. Here's the route; Cottonwood Pass, 748, Grassy Tr, Hunter Hill Tr, Brush Creek Tr, Pearl Pass, Ashcroft, Taylor Pass, home. I haven't done either pass. I have done the other trails and they include single track, water crossings, rocks, hillclimbs, and exposure. I'm looking for a very small group of experienced riders, 4 max. You'll need a big tank. Any takers?
__________________
'09 300 EXC (my 525 replacement )
'11 690e R (makes me smile! - 525 / 990 replacement)
Say hi to Jeanne - she's UltraJ
wadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #53
wadventure
Mellow Adventurer
 
wadventure's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Lakewood Colorado
Oddometer: 224
Who Wants to Ride a Bunch of Dirt Passes on Big Bikes?

I'm planning on a large DS ride for Friday.

Here is the rough route. It's around 250 miles.

Leave early to make sure we can get back at a reasonable time.

Either start over Weston, or head straight for Hayden Pass.
From Hayden up the Marshall Pass railroad grade. Gas up in Sargents.
Scoot back up Monarch and ride old Monarch.
Head down and catch Waunita, and Black Sage.
Head north over Cumberland to the town of Tincup.
If we have time we can head up to Mirror lake and take a look at the bottom of Tincup Pass. (I'm not up to Tincup on the 990, so turn around there.)
From here, we'll probably head back over Cottonwood.

If it's early in the day (which I doubt), we can consider Ohio and Kebler, with a return over Hagerman, which adds ALOT of miles. But, I doubt we'll be moving quite this fast.

I'm camped in a Balboa toy hauler in the RV sites. Feel free to stop by. Otherwise, whoever wants to go, try to be there by 730 AM Friday.

There is an attached gpx. Subject to change as I have free time! But, in the end, we'll be doing some riding.

See you then,
Wadventure (Wade)
Attached Files
File Type: gpx WestFest2009.gpx (579.9 KB, 160 views)
__________________
'09 300 EXC (my 525 replacement )
'11 690e R (makes me smile! - 525 / 990 replacement)
Say hi to Jeanne - she's UltraJ
wadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #54
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I
 
katbeanz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 7,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83
Sunday I want to do Pearl and Taylor Pass. Here's the route; Cottonwood Pass, 748, Grassy Tr, Hunter Hill Tr, Brush Creek Tr, Pearl Pass, Ashcroft, Taylor Pass, home. I haven't done either pass. I have done the other trails and they include single track, water crossings, rocks, hillclimbs, and exposure. I'm looking for a very small group of experienced riders, 4 max. You'll need a big tank. Any takers?
Did you know you can leave Aspen and ride right up the ski slope under the ski lift cars? I was led down and back up it long ago, unforgettable.
I'm not sure how I will handle the altitude this year so am taking it easy, have fun!
You have to pay a fee to see Ashcroft.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #55
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride
 
Pablo83's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz
Did you know you can leave Aspen and ride right up the ski slope under the ski lift cars? I was led down and back up it long ago, unforgettable.
I'm not sure how I will handle the altitude this year so am taking it easy, have fun!
You have to pay a fee to see Ashcroft.
How do I find the ski lift run? Do you know what the fee at Ashcroft is? And what's if for?
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #56
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I
 
katbeanz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 7,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83
How do I find the ski lift run? Do you know what the fee at Ashcroft is? And what's if for?
It's only $3. They must have a drop box, says you can do self guided tours anytime.

http://www.heritageaspen.org/ac.html

From Taylor Lake looks like NNW towards Aspen, roughly parallel to Castle Creek but a mile or more east. It's real easy to see in roads and rec. Stick these coordinates together

N39 01.241 W106 45.262

N39 02.400 W106 44.829

N39 04.277 W106 46.006

N39 06.392 W106 48.505

N39 09.067 W106 49.122

N39 11.065 W106 49.603
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #57
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride
 
Pablo83's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 4,792
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz
It's real easy to see in roads and rec. Stick these coordinates together

N39 01.241 W106 45.262

N39 02.400 W106 44.829

N39 04.277 W106 46.006

N39 06.392 W106 48.505

N39 09.067 W106 49.122

N39 11.065 W106 49.603
Thanks, that route looks great
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:59 PM   #58
farrell caesar
Seezer
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Trenton Il.
Oddometer: 404
Hagerman pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadventure
I'm planning on a large DS ride for Friday.

Here is the rough route. It's around 250 miles.

Leave early to make sure we can get back at a reasonable time.

Either start over Weston, or head straight for Hayden Pass.
From Hayden up the Marshall Pass railroad grade. Gas up in Sargents.
Scoot back up Monarch and ride old Monarch.
Head down and catch Waunita, and Black Sage.
Head north over Cumberland to the town of Tincup.
If we have time we can head up to Mirror lake and take a look at the bottom of Tincup Pass. (I'm not up to Tincup on the 990, so turn around there.)
From here, we'll probably head back over Cottonwood.

If it's early in the day (which I doubt), we can consider Ohio and Kebler, with a return over Hagerman, which adds ALOT of miles. But, I doubt we'll be moving quite this fast.

I'm camped in a Balboa toy hauler in the RV sites. Feel free to stop by. Otherwise, whoever wants to go, try to be there by 730 AM Friday.

There is an attached gpx. Subject to change as I have free time! But, in the end, we'll be doing some riding.

See you then,
Wadventure (Wade)
I have been on the Hagerman out of Leadville. Are you going all the way to Aspen?
__________________
seezer
farrell caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #59
wadventure
Mellow Adventurer
 
wadventure's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Lakewood Colorado
Oddometer: 224
Wasn't planning on it. I doubt that there will be time to include Kebler, Ohio and Hagerman. To include those would make an extremely long day with no time for sight seeing or sitting still. The route bypasses Aspen, so we wouldn't be going through there (little thing called the Maroon Bells in the way of going through Aspen!).

If you decide to join us, I'm sure you'll enjoy the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrell caesar
I have been on the Hagerman out of Leadville. Are you going all the way to Aspen?
__________________
'09 300 EXC (my 525 replacement )
'11 690e R (makes me smile! - 525 / 990 replacement)
Say hi to Jeanne - she's UltraJ
wadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #60
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride
 
Pablo83's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Woodland Park, CO
Oddometer: 4,792
WF Pearl Pass, Taylor Pass, Aspen? and Flag Mtn?

I've made an official thread for the ride I'll lead Sunday:

WF Pearl Pass, Taylor Pass, Aspen? and Flag Mtn?
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014