ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2008, 07:21 AM   #1
Cloud9 OP
I was HERE?

Oddometer: 1,877
Forget Moab, Gateway, CO., is best new OHV area!!

Forget Moab. The new best area for motorcycling is the high mesa above and around Gateway. Yes it's more out of the way, but that's the point. You will find hundreds of miles of trails all around Gateway, low and high, which you, your wife, your kids, friends and buddies will have a GREAT time on. Here's a link to high resolution PDF maps and trails in the Gateway area.

http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/gjfo/...ecreation.html

(dial up be very aware!)

These are VERY good maps (If I do say so myself ) to navigate with and will help you have a wonderful time in GATEWAY, CO.

BUT, be very prepared. Take friends with you if you can and don't go with out maps. It is very easy to get lost. BUT you'll find the roads and vistas amazing, I KNOW.

Moab BLM is very anti-OHV and their LEOs (Law Enforcement cop) likes to harass OHVs. Gateway has a (as in ONE) VERY high quality resort, restaurant, outfitter, and store. If primitive camping is your thing you will NOT be disappointed. Give it a shot if you’re adventurous enough.

Of course the high mesas are snowed out during the winter so maybe Monticello or Naturita areas will be the best new winter riding areas... sure is not like Moab but then again... it's not like Moab.

To hell with Moab.

Cloud9 screwed with this post 12-22-2008 at 09:17 AM
Cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
ABQTJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
where is Gateway?
ABQTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
Wayne Weber
why are we stopping?

Oddometer: 3,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQTJ
where is Gateway?
That's why it's good riding

04 KTM 950 S
93 KTM 550
93 XT225 Adventure Serow!
00 Weber Rally Twin (www.rallytwin.com)
Gas Gas 270
2 Waterbuffalo's (Sold!)
Wayne Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
ABQTJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
thanks for the help
ABQTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
velosprocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQTJ
where is Gateway?
South of Grand Junction, and it's beautiful! I've only mtn biked there.

Cloud9, do you know if the trails are shared with mtn bikers? For what it's worth. For what it's worth, as a serious cyclist, 99.9% of mountain bikers are not the problem. I've never minded sharing a trail with dirt bikes, ATV's are a different story!
velosprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:39 AM   #6
Saber
slow

Oddometer: 100
So I guess this is a "boycott" of Moab, till they remove the LEO problem.
Were they Federal, State, or Local?
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:16 AM   #7
Cloud9 OP
I was HERE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by velosprocket
South of Grand Junction, and it's beautiful! I've only mtn biked there.

Cloud9, do you know if the trails are shared with mtn bikers? For what it's worth. For what it's worth, as a serious cyclist, 99.9% of mountain bikers are not the problem. I've never minded sharing a trail with dirt bikes, ATV's are a different story!
Currently all trails are opened to every one. GJ BLM is working on their RMP so that's going to change a little bit. There are guided Mtn bike (MB) tours from Telluride to Gateway and then Moab (during the summer). I've had mixed contact with MB riders. One time the tour guide gave us some self-righteous attitude about how holy he was because he used "peddle power". I wondered if he was using pedal power for his support vehicles? Mostly, everyone's OK. Show respect, get respect. I was an MB’r for twenty plus years but I tired of so many "me only" hypocrites and moved to motorcycles. I see a lot more terrain, carry my own support, have great rides and don't have to waste time with the “Holier than Thou” crowd. But as you say... MOST MB riders want the same as us... a good day’s ride without hassles.

The area in general does not lend well to MBs mainly because of access, heat during the summer, and distance. Unless you bring or have support (i.e. drive your vehicle up there and camp for support or have your support brought for you) the distances are large and the trails many. Not that some MB riders won't be self contained, but there's very limited water sources, very large distances and a hell of alot of trails. I also think for MOST MB riders this is not the type of terrain or trail system they're looking to ride.

The area lends best to motorcycles but also to some extent ATVs and 4WD. It's MAINLY about exploring and camping. Lots of history to find, it's like an open living museum and needs to stay that way (leave what you see for the next explorer to find). 4WDs other than for camping support are really too slow unless you're up there for a week and like tooling around in a jeep... Then it'd be fun... I think. BUT on the other hand there are some kick ass 4X4 trails too... if you know where to find them.

Overall, I think the best way to explore this area is on a motorcycle, the most effective, efficient, lowest motorized impact way to see this country. Whether you primitive camp or use Gateway Resorts (which is excellent choice... maybe do both) there's just too much missed otherwise because of how remote this place is. It just takes too long to get there... and that's the beauty of it.

Cloud9 screwed with this post 12-23-2008 at 05:32 AM
Old 12-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
anomad
in storage

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9

...........These are VERY good maps (If I do say so myself )....................

Did you make them? Do they have the road and trail data posted online for download?

The grid on the map appears to be UTM zone 12 North if folks want to use that with their GPS units.
anomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #9
Cloud9 OP
I was HERE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber
So I guess this is a "boycott" of Moab, till they remove the LEO problem.
Were they Federal, State, or Local?
It's not just the Federal BLM LEOs. The Moab BLM Field Office it self promotes this discrimination (though it can't admit it). They have decided to be extremely biased and work to, as said, pro-actively close what ever they can, piece by piece, as quickly as they can from motorized users. They choose instead to support the AANs in the delusional fantasy that they're "saving" the planet. Like the planet, which has been around for 4-5 billion years, NEEDS us to save it… right.

Cloud9 screwed with this post 12-22-2008 at 05:09 PM
Old 12-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #10
Cloud9 OP
I was HERE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomad
Did you make them? Do they have the road and trail data posted online for download?

The grid on the map appears to be UTM zone 12 North if folks want to use that with their GPS units.
Why yes... I did. And thank you for noticing. They were a semi-hurry up project while working for the BLM and are not perfect but are the best maps you can currently get for the Gateway area and are high resolution topos all things considered.

In the Legend of the maps, which have some graphical issue, you'll note that the coordinate system is UTM NAD83 12 North.

As far as downloads you'd have to get with GJ BLM to see what they have currently available, I'm not sure any more.

Cloud9 screwed with this post 12-22-2008 at 11:33 AM
Old 12-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #11
chtucker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
I'll second what Cloud9 has said... and you can get to Moab from there to...

The resort's convience store is the bomb. Anything you might have forgotten they have. I have primitive camped just above gateway and been able to run into "town" for stuff. The roads were REALLY muddy last spring... its about an hour from GJ on the street. I never did find a way, but I think that is should be possible to get out of gateway headed north and get up to Glade Park somehow????

If the weather sucks they have an awesome auto musuem.

If your S.O. doesn't ride, they can spa it up whilst you explore.

Nucla/Naturita are not my cup of tea, but they do have a few more general stores.

There is now cell service in Gateway courtesy of the resort.
chtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
anomad
in storage

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9

In the Legend of the maps, which have some graphical issue, you'll note that the coordinate system is UTM NAD83 12 North.
The legend didn't appear for me. I am using Ubuntu and it doesn't recognize the fonts. The topos and trails came out great though.

Moab is the best everyone should go straight there and ride all the famous trails again and again. California is great too, everyone should move there and vacation in Moab and Las Vegas.
anomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #13
Cloud9 OP
I was HERE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomad
The legend didn't appear for me. I am using Ubuntu and it doesn't recognize the fonts. The topos and trails came out great though.

Moab is the best everyone should go straight there and ride all the famous trails again and again. California is great too, everyone should move there and vacation in Moab and Las Vegas.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #14
Cloud9 OP
I was HERE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chtucker
I'll second what Cloud9 has said... and you can get to Moab from there to...

The resort's convience store is the bomb. Anything you might have forgotten they have. I have primitive camped just above gateway and been able to run into "town" for stuff. The roads were REALLY muddy last spring... its about an hour from GJ on the street. I never did find a way, but I think that is should be possible to get out of gateway headed north and get up to Glade Park somehow????

If the weather sucks they have an awesome auto musuem.

If your S.O. doesn't ride, they can spa it up whilst you explore.

Nucla/Naturita are not my cup of tea, but they do have a few more general stores.

There is now cell service in Gateway courtesy of the resort.
Excellent points! And yes you can get to Glade Park via Sheep Creek Road. There is a lot of excellent riding up there too including Granite Creek, Steamboat Mesa, the Dolores River crossing, and others.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #15
Tramontana

Oddometer: 2,066
Nice job on the maps and the post...

...and thanks much for sharing mate!

Hopefully I can get out to do a little riding with you in the new year Cloud9. I doubt I can keep up, now that you have such a "fly" new ride. My poor 'ol DR probably can't keep up with big red iron, and I know that the DR's pilot isn't half as capable...

Cheers and Happy Holidays man!

Memberships: AMA 222838, COHVCO #4409, Blue Ribbon Coalition, Rollins Pass Restoration Association, Tread Lightly!

KD0DHK - Amateur Radio FCC Technician Class

Tread Lightly! Master Tread Trainer.
Tramontana is offline   Reply With Quote