ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #16
gee
Safety First

Oddometer: 823
Great map, thanks!! looks like boat load of trails and old roads. Some of the stuff on the east side of 141 looks to be on the side/top of the uncompahgre plateau, correct? Are any of the trails signed?

I agree on staying clear of Moab, you get bent over on prices during the peak seasons and I've never gotten the feeling of being "welcome" there. If the jeeps and OHVs get run off and stop going to Moab, Moab will suffer. Anyone remember Moab in the late 70s? The town almost ceased to exist. I prefer Green River if I'm crossing the zion curtain, but staying in Colorado is even better.
gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #17
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9
Excellent points! And yes you can get to Glade Park via Sheep Creek Road. There is a lot of excellent riding up there too including Granite Creek, Steamboat Mesa, the Dolores River crossing, and others.
Good job on helping with the setup of this area and the maps, Cloud9. Surely there is tons of riding around there and I have been salivating over the number of trails in the nearby region for a month or two. I definitely want to make a tour from Montrose down to Naturita, Gateway and then to the east edge of the La Sals and back to Telluride next summer. I am hoping that this area will be relatively rideable in mid to late May??
Old 12-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #18
Cloud9 OP
I was HERE?

Oddometer: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramontana
...and thanks much for sharing mate!

Hopefully I can get out to do a little riding with you in the new year Cloud9. I doubt I can keep up, now that you have such a "fly" new ride. My poor 'ol DR probably can't keep up with big red iron, and I know that the DR's pilot isn't half as capable...

Cheers and Happy Holidays man!
My riding year is going to be short this year. I just had my shoulder worked on so I'm off the bike till around June. After that so we'll have to get together for sure. I know you and the DR are more than capable. Beside, I just like getting out and exploring.

gee, you're right about on the east side of 141. There are a few connection to get you up to Divide Road and to infininety but the signing is rare on the BLM side, better on the Forest Service side.

Doc, I've been looking at Google Earth for the last couple of weeks thinking about doing a ride involving the VERY same towns. We'll have to get together and do a three day weekend ride like you mentioned

NOW for the good stuff! If one of you has a place where other FFs (inmates) can down load from, I'll send you the Gateway Inventory in a .kmz file which can be dragged and dropped into Google Earth and then every one can have a 3D layout of the routes we GPS'd around Gateway... this is really good stuff!! PM me your email address and I'll send it to you so you can post a link to it for others to down load it from a posting here.

I don't want to have to email this to everyone who might be interested, I don't have that kind of time. So only ask for it if you have place to link to where every one can copy&pasted or download from. (I think c&p will work?) I've already emailed it to a few people and so far no links have shown up. I'm more than happy for everyone to have these routes available for use and to view on google earth, but I don't want to sit in front of the computer emailing it. Thanks.... yffs

Cloud9 screwed with this post 12-26-2008 at 06:15 AM
Cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #19
Cowboy
Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer: 3,284
I rode from Naturita up to Gateway last August, and had fifty miles of paved twisties all to myself, in a gorgeous river canyon. When I got to Gateway, I turned West, and rode through John Brown Canyon, up and over the Manti-La Sal NF, and down into Moab. Gateway left me longing to go back and explore. I'm glad to hear that there are good trails to ride. I stuck to the main roads on that trip.

Here's a pic of the road through John Brown Canyon, looking East toward Gateway (which sits at the bottom).

Here's another from the other end of the same road, looking West toward Moab:

Cowboy screwed with this post 12-22-2008 at 05:13 PM
Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 PM   #20
dirtrulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Have never really seem the big deal wiht moab. It is fun in a 4x4 but no real challenge on a bike. Its like riding on the jeep trails here around denver, get pretty boring. Its great to find out about another riding area and hopefully it is closer than moab. thanks
dirtrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:54 PM   #21
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQTJ
where is Gateway?
That's what people asked about Moab in like, 1975.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 05:55 PM   #22
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
I went through Gateway on a ride with our daughter from Cortez to GJ. It was kind of blah until we dropped into a canyon, then WOW!!! The scenery was fantastic - so much so that it was hard to concentrate on the road - problem was that you had to concentrate on the road...

We did stop at the store/resort/museum/etc. Amazing. I plan to take another run up there next year & maybe do some camping. Probably after Westfest.

Haven't been to Moab. I had wondered about it, now I will likely not go there.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:17 AM   #23
Cloud9 OP
I was HERE?

bump and...

I don't want to have to email this to everyone who might be interested, I don't have that kind of time. So only ask for it if you have place where you'll link to where every one can copy&pasted or download from. (I think c&p will work?) I've already emailed it to a few people and so far no links have shown up. I'm more than happy for everyone to have these routes available for use and to view on google earth, its good stuff and you can use it to plan rides around the Gateway area, but I don't want to sit in front of the computer emailing it every where. Thanks.... yffs
Old 12-26-2008, 08:43 AM   #24
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9
Currently all trails are opened to every one. GJ BLM is working on their RMP so that's going to change a little bit. There are guided Mtn bike (MB) tours from Telluride to Gateway and then Moab (during the summer). I've had mixed contact with MB riders. One time the tour guide gave us some self-righteous attitude about how holy he was because he used "peddle power". I wondered if he was using pedal power for his support vehicles? Mostly, everyone's OK. Show respect, get respect. I was an MB’r for twenty plus years but I tired of so many "me only" hypocrites and moved to motorcycles. I see a lot more terrain, carry my own support, have great rides and don't have to waste time with the “Holier than Thou” crowd. But as you say... MOST MB riders want the same as us... a good day’s ride without hassles.

The area in general does not lend well to MBs mainly because of access, heat during the summer, and distance. Unless you bring or have support (i.e. drive your vehicle up there and camp for support or have your support brought for you) the distances are large and the trails many. Not that some MB riders won't be self contained, but there's very limited water sources, very large distances and a hell of alot of trails. I also think for MOST MB riders this is not the type of terrain or trail system they're looking to ride.

The area lends best to motorcycles but also to some extent ATVs and 4WD. It's MAINLY about exploring and camping. Lots of history to find, it's like an open living museum and needs to stay that way (leave what you see for the next explorer to find). 4WDs other than for camping support are really too slow unless you're up there for a week and like tooling around in a jeep... Then it'd be fun... I think. BUT on the other hand there are some kick ass 4X4 trails too... if you know where to find them.

Overall, I think the best way to explore this area is on a motorcycle, the most effective, efficient, lowest motorized impact way to see this country. Whether you primitive camp or use Gateway Resorts (which is excellent choice... maybe do both) there's just too much missed otherwise because of how remote this place is. It just takes too long to get there... and that's the beauty of it.
Jesus ... if you're not in sales, you should be. I gotta get there!
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:09 AM   #25
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,468
cloud try this...

http://www.4shared.com/signup.jsp
for sharing files, i havent used it yet but......

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:15 AM   #26
jeepnut
too tall

Oddometer: 45
Eek

I'm curious why you are promoting this area.
I put some info on the internet about ten years ago for the National Forest close to where I live. Now ATVs are brought in by the truckload. There is no singletrack left in the area. The ATV riders used winches, chainsaws, even some rock-breaking equipment to convert every trail.
A former forest service employee published maps of the area, so I don't feel solely responsible, but I'll never get over knowing that I helped inform the ATV riders. The damage to the trails has been incredible from a dirt bike point of view.
I no longer talk about the best riding areas other than to guys I have ridden with.
jeepnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #27
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,468
heres one any way maybe both!!!

http://www.4shared.com/file/77668179...wkmlfiles.html

http://www.4shared.com/file/77668113.../A6Routes.html

ones zipped, sorry dont know why!:( im not a puter whizzzz

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #28
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,290
Thanks that is pretty complete for the area!

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #29
D_F
Meat servo

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnut
I'm curious why you are promoting this area.
I put some info on the internet about ten years ago for the National Forest close to where I live. Now ATVs are brought in by the truckload. There is no singletrack left in the area. The ATV riders used winches, chainsaws, even some rock-breaking equipment to convert every trail.
A former forest service employee published maps of the area, so I don't feel solely responsible, but I'll never get over knowing that I helped inform the ATV riders. The damage to the trails has been incredible from a dirt bike point of view.
I no longer talk about the best riding areas other than to guys I have ridden with.
I've been tempted to give him a bit of a hard time about it for this very reason, but I can also see the side that if we can't share some of the good stuff then whats the point.
D_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:35 PM   #30
Cloud9 OP
I was HERE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_F
I've been tempted to give him a bit of a hard time about it for this very reason, but I can also see the side that if we can't share some of the good stuff then whats the point.
What!? You and jeepnut had the chance to reprimand me and didn't?

I'm very disappointed

So... why? Why would I inform others of what currently has very limited use and I could have, basicly, to myself. Because as a former BLM employee I am not like the AANs I've had to deal with inside and outside our office. I support ALL types of public land use... even the ones I may not care for... yes, ATVs too. I don't care to ride ATVs but for many this is their only choice, aside from 4WD, and for many this is what they choose, and I'm OK with that. You must remember that almost every road in this area was made with a bulldozer for urainium extraction, (just like in Moab) so width of trail is not an issue. What will separate things is how brutally tough and remote some routes can be. That's the beauty of this area, graded 2WD roads for easy going rides to stuff that will have a grown man crying and looking for the spa and a bed at the resort.

There is far more than what is on the GJ BLM maps. Far more than I'll ever be able to ride. My riding partner and I rode from May to November, 4 days a week, averaging 6 hours a day in the saddle (not including travel time) for almost 4 years to get this route inventory. Now I only have every other weekend off with other things that I have to do on some of those weekends AND other places I need to ride... what do you think are the chances of you and I meeting out there?

From Gateway to Naturita then down to Cortez, across the FS of the Uncompagre over to Telluride and back across to Monticello and the Abahoe Mtn (spl?), from GJ over Glade Park and either down to Gateway or across the Dolores River towards Moab... far more than I'll be able to use by myself. So why should I help support the AANs and not help other Advriders discover some fantastic riding?! It's there and it's public land. That means for all!

But this is not Moab and it will be a very long time for this area to catch on, it's just very remote and hard to get to besides not knowing where to go when you do get there. There's not a lot of "slick rock" like Moab and there's not a lot of services either, but the services are not tooo far away and the riding can be what you choose. From low desert red cliff canyons a thousand feet high to alpine meadows with aspen and pine trees to cool the tired soul... it's there. But you'd better be prepared! A mid week break-down and you may not see any one to help you for a couple days... if you're lucky.

I'm sick of the crap Moab BLM has dumped on us and I want others to know there's more than just Moab... it's just harder to find and get to. But you won't be disappointed.

Just look on Google Earth at the areas between Lake Powell and Durango, from Cortez to Grand Junction. The maps and .kmz files of the GJ area only highlite a very small part of what's out there. I'm just helping you look at and consider that small area for a trip you might find interesting, and I think you will. Then too maybe some day you'll show us your cool riding areas.

I know that some advriders that I know and others that I don't know will be concerned that I'm helping to make this area known but all things change and I don't want it to change to the benefit of the AANs. Yeah, there may be more riders out there and we'll meet and ride and have a good time if... if, we're lucky enough to be out there on the same trail on the same day at the same time. This is an awesome area and if I thought that advriders were less responsible I'd a said nothing. But I expect you will respect and take care of what's yours.

(Did you know that from south of San Bernardino, CA., (Loma Linda) you can take dirt trails south all the way to the Mexico border? You can if you just look and then get out and explore. GE is a great tool)

Cloud9 screwed with this post 12-26-2008 at 10:37 PM