ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #31
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
I ordered maps of this area 4 years ago to explore. I'm from Alabama, so don't think this area will not become known. If you hide areas , the anti access crowd will get it declared Wilderness even though it does in no sense meet the criteria. Some of you may want to keep it for your own personal playground, but the so-called Greenies will find a way to take it away from you. They are already trying to take away the trails motorcyclists developed around Moab. Let us at least have a little time to see the Gateway area. Develope it for your fellow motorcyclists
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 06:02 AM   #32
D_F
Meat servo

Oddometer: 143
Like I said I can see both sides.

I helped BLM and Gateway canyons clean up the mine sight and flag pole off the palisades last spring. The other work I do in the area has also given me a bit of a unique perspective of what's there. Whatever goes down there will probably take a few years, however I would be willing to bet that by the time my son and I can ride together things will have changed a fair amount. With the resort and the BLM there is a lot of scrutiny on the area.
The funny thing with ATV's is the more of them there are, the more they want to concentrate them, the more impact they have. I also don't come across as many trail work day type events sponsored by the ATV crowd as I do for MTB and motorcycle stuff. That could just be my lack of participation with those groups however. Ron? What was your experience in that respect?
D_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:15 AM   #33
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 5,024
Ron, talk to me about singletrack in the Gateway area. The old exploration roads you talk about are great and there is lots of em up there I'm sure, but we need new TRAILS!!!!!!! Ten inch wide ST!!!!
enduro-ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:21 AM   #34
Cloud9 OP
I was HERE?

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_F
Like I said I can see both sides.

I helped BLM and Gateway canyons clean up the mine sight and flag pole off the palisades last spring. The other work I do in the area has also given me a bit of a unique perspective of what's there. Whatever goes down there will probably take a few years, however I would be willing to bet that by the time my son and I can ride together things will have changed a fair amount. With the resort and the BLM there is a lot of scrutiny on the area.
The funny thing with ATV's is the more of them there are, the more they want to concentrate them, the more impact they have. I also don't come across as many trail work day type events sponsored by the ATV crowd as I do for MTB and motorcycle stuff. That could just be my lack of participation with those groups however. Ron? What was your experience in that respect?
You need to consider the entire area. The southwest facing side of the Uncompagre, which basically runs from lets say Gateway to Placerville, is only one part of the area (and the Gateway maps are a small part of that area). There's the area on the "south" side of the Dolores River all the way to Hwy191 and down to Cortez. There is A LOT of area to ride and most of it is very time consuming just to get to for most anyone. (unless you live in like Naturita or one of those areas)

As far as ATVs go, the Western Slope ATV Association as done an increadible job of promoting responsible ATV use and been a leader in getting NEW trail systems on the Unc and on the Grand Mesa. These are truely fun trails to ride on a motocycle and I've had a great time using them. My hats off to them. I'll encourage everyone to get maps of the OHV trails in those areas and go ride them... really fun stuff.' If you want more single track, ride an ATV trail and stay in one track. (ok, it's not really ST but it can be just as fun to ride)

But again, everything goes back to give respect, get respect. There are ATV, motorcycle, bicycle, horse, and hike land users in all groups that are just plain *&^%$#s. So deal with it. They will always be there.. always. One of the main reasons I ride motocycles is that when some one from one of the groups is being a dumbass I can get away from them or chase them down if I really have to. It's the same reason I drive a BMW 540 instead of a Camery or Accord... I can get around and get away from asshats.

As far as ATVs in the Gateway area, I don't see that being a problem. They're out there already, not in big numbers, but there is an increadible amount of trails and in general a 10 mile day for them is a big deal. Me, I prefer a two or three hundred mile day of mild stuff or a hundred mile day of rough. Either way, I'm not going to see those ATVs for long.

Cloud9 screwed with this post 12-27-2008 at 08:30 AM
Cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:23 AM   #35
Cloud9 OP
I was HERE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince
Ron, talk to me about singletrack in the Gateway area. The old exploration roads you talk about are great and there is lots of em up there I'm sure, but we need new TRAILS!!!!!!! Ten inch wide ST!!!!
We'll definitly need to talk about this
Old 12-27-2008, 07:46 AM   #36
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,979
See Cloud9's collection of OHV routes and some additional info about Gateway here: http://rickramsey.net/Gateway.htm
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #37
Cloud9 OP
I was HERE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz
See Cloud9's collection of OHV routes and some additional info about Gateway here: http://rickramsey.net/Gateway.htm
GREAT JOB RAMZ!! Thanks!!

OK, I have to point this out. THE "A6Routes" are not developed... yet! BUT, the OHV community was promised these trails in exchange for staying out of A5 (Area 5 of the Bangs Canyon plan. My feelings are that if they won't live up to there part we don't need to live up to our part, the contract is broken) The archy at the BLM is VERY AAN and is doing her best to stop this from happening. She's stonewalling, is not open to any use at all, and will not approve any use and she's doing a good job of it. So, put pressure on the BLM to make it happen. This is a World Class (I"m not kidding) riding area and she wants us to "go somewhere else" (that is a quote) She refuses to understand that here IS somewhere else (because of her personal prejudous.) "Some where else" certainly isn't New York or Los Angeles, that's where they're coming from. duh!

NOW, do this, copy/download the GraniteCreekInventory.kmz file some where then drag&drop it into google earth... Check it out!!

I must also point out that this is not a completely processed file. You'll find spikes and other places where the GPS lost com and didn't follow the routes as ridden. BUT, I think, this is good stuff!! ... I think. Later I'll try to get the completely corrected file, it's better but not by a lot.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #38
Cloud9 OP
I was HERE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustj
Hey jjjustj, I didn't realize that you had made it available too. Sorry about that.

THANK YOU SO MUCH ALSO!!!

Now, start planning your rides
Old 12-27-2008, 09:07 AM   #39
Max49
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
What an incredible amount of trails. It looks like you might be able to ride from this area, all the way to the Dewey Bridge area. Anyone done this?
It's such a maze, do they have different names for different trails?

Max49 screwed with this post 12-27-2008 at 09:57 AM
Max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #40
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Is John Brown Canyon the only way to cross the Delores River short of going to Grand Junction. I have BLM resource area maps and don't see any other way. The maps stop at the Utah line. You could definitly get lost on all the trails and roads in that area and that's just the ones that are shown on the maps. Thanks for posting all the info.
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #41
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose
Is John Brown Canyon the only way to cross the Delores River short of going to Grand Junction. I have BLM resource area maps and don't see any other way. The maps stop at the Utah line. You could definitly get lost on all the trails and roads in that area and that's just the ones that are shown on the maps. Thanks for posting all the info.

As far as bridges go, yes, to my knowledge. If you're willing to ford the river, there's 3 mapped river crossings that I know of. One of them crosses to private property and the other 2 are viable options.

I wouldn't think about crossing the Dolores during Spring run-off, even when it's running low it's questionable by motorcycle IMO. You'd want friends nearby in case you didn't make it.

Crossing the Dolores in early winter by 4x4-
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:34 PM   #42
Max49
Gnarly Adventurer

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Dad/Desktop/Delores%20river%20WP8-%20gateway.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Dad/Desktop/Delores%20river%20WP8-%20gateway.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Dad/Desktop/Delores%20river%20WP8-%20gateway.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Dad/Desktop/Delores%20river%20WP8-%20gateway.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Dad/Desktop/Delores%20river%20WP8-%20gateway.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Dad/Desktop/Delores%20river%20WP8-%20gateway.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Dad/Desktop/Delores%20river%20WP8-%20gateway.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Dad/Desktop/Delores%20river%20WP8-%20gateway.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/Users/Dad/Desktop/Delores%20river%20WP8-%20gateway.jpg[/IMG]

looks kinda spooky
Old 12-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #43
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
The interesting part about making areas known or not known is probably rooted in ATV hate. The reality is that dealerships are selling far more ATV's than horses or motorcycles. The market is changing and evolving. If we as politically active motorcyclists show hate towards ATV riders, we get nowhere.

The reality is that single track is going away. In fact, much of the trails I understand used to be single track before there were ATV's. And now, they are going away.

The funny thing is, many folks call Rampart single track when it really isn't.

I can understand the desire to keep something for yourself and your buddies. Heck, territorial feelings are nothing new and something we have harbored since our days as a child.

I think the bigger question is whether our friends actually are aware of the war going on over our public lands. I know that almost every rider I have encountered knows nothing of what is going on.

If we invest our time in hating ATV riders, MTB's or hikers vs. investing time in educating those that are around us, we will lose and end up like the UK where only outlaws ride.

You make the choice.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:28 PM   #44
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 4,010
Looks like a great area Cloud9. Can you get full sized maps from the BLM?? With the atv issue, I used to bag on atv riders, but will be careful to only bag on any kind of trail rider that doesn't respect the trail or other users on the trail from now on. The atv riders that got Mountain out when he broke his wrist saved the day. Without their excellent help it either would have been much harder, or much more expensive.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #45
Max49
Gnarly Adventurer

I agree Meter Pig, let us not forget, the Sierra Club and such is our enemy, not ATVers. They like , what we like, and we need all as many people on our side that we can get.
The only trails that will stay single track are trails like these.
where its just impossible for them to go

Are those roads around Gateway OHV friendly? For example, 4 25/100 Rd. &
4 15/100Rd run on both sides of the Delores River. And about thousand others.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...19312&t=h&z=16

This place looks awesome on Google Earth and Maps. Is there lots of good primitive camping?

Max49 screwed with this post 12-27-2008 at 04:37 PM Reason: add Google Map link