ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2008, 03:51 PM   #46
Cloud9 OP
I was HERE?

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max49
I agree Meter Pig, let us not forget, the Sierra Club and such is our enemy, not ATVers. They like , what we like, and we need all as many people on our side that we can get.
The only trails that will stay single track are trails like these.
where its just impossible for them to go

Are those roads around Gateway OHV friendly? For example, 4 25/100 Rd. &
4 15/100Rd run on both sides of the Delores River. And about thousand others.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...19312&t=h&z=16

This place looks awesome on Google Earth and Maps. Is there lots of good primitive camping?
Sweet pic Max49, where is it? And yes you're correct only trails which have "gate keepers" or as seen here, have the chance to to remain ST.

As far as the .kmz file for google earth goes:

WHITE routes are county maintained 2WD roads and currently I don't think any one on the Colorado side has issue with OHVs on them.

RED routes are 4WD of various degrees

BLUE routes are basically for Jeeps or OHVs and can be very rough. OHVs here includes street legal motorcycles.

You'll note that on the CO/UT border there is a WHITE line which indicate a very straight route running along the border. THIS is Moab BLMs inventory data as we received it, there is no such route in the Gateway area running straight along the border as indicated by their data.

IB, I'm not sure what size maps the BLM will have for this area, you'll have to check.

Cloud9 screwed with this post 12-28-2008 at 06:35 AM
Cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:25 PM   #47
Max49
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Thanks for the clarification on the red, white & blue trails. I was wondering if there was a legend for that on Google earth .
That pic came from another thread on Ad Rider. It is in Idaho somewhere. Gives me the willies. But I always smile and think of it when people insist on single track. Be careful what you ask for.
Max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:35 PM   #48
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9
Hey jjjustj, I didn't realize that you had made it available too. Sorry about that.

THANK YOU SO MUCH ALSO!!!

Now, start planning your rides

Man that looks fantastic ! any chance of a guided tour sometime?
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #49
RedHawk47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Fabulous country

Six years or so ago (before the Gateway Resort was there) I rode across the Uncompahgre from Delta to Gateway with Steve Green. I'm glad he knew where he was going. There's a lot of roads up there and most aren't marked. We rode SW from Delta to the Divide Road, then NW on the Divide Road and off the mesa on the Uranium Road to Gateway. That was mostly 2WD roads but places were challenging due to the deep ruts. We took a single track to a isolated camping spot with a fabulous view and the largest aspen trees I had ever seen. I hugged one and could not touch my fingers.

A couple of years later I rode the Nucla-Delta Road. Again 2WD, beautiful, and not well marked; had to ask for directions several times. Ran into fresh, deep gravel on the downhill into Delta.

Beautiful Country. Looking at my gazettes I see a lot of roads/trails on the SW side of the Uncompahgre, off the plateau but way above the river, in addition to many on top. Lots of exploring to do.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood. -- Tom Robbins

How I spent my summer vacation - Alaska
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:45 AM   #50
Cloud9 OP
I was HERE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004
Man that looks fantastic ! any chance of a guided tour sometime?
I'd be very interesed in getting a ride together but it will have to wait till mid summer because my shoulder is on the mend till around then.

Maybe a two or three day over-nighter in the area
Old 12-28-2008, 07:47 AM   #51
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324
Quote:
In.
cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:00 AM   #52
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRAsH
In.
Yo tambien
enduro-ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #53
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 15,136
I know the area a little bit- not like Cloud 9, but enough to get us in a lot of trouble, fairly quickly. Maybe, if you dare, I can guide a handbasket of riders into the unknown before Ron gets healed up. Caveat- for those who don't know me- "navigation isn't my thing." However, I can get from my driveway in GJ all the way to Naturita with only crossing 2 roads.
unaweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #54
Durangoman
Yeah its me!

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz
See Cloud9's collection of OHV routes and some additional info about Gateway here: http://rickramsey.net/Gateway.htm
Good stuff in that link...
Durangoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:26 AM   #55
Cloud9 OP
I was HERE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep
I know the area a little bit- not like Cloud 9, but enough to get us in a lot of trouble, fairly quickly. Maybe, if you dare, I can guide a handbasket of riders into the unknown before Ron gets healed up. Caveat- for those who don't know me- "navigation isn't my thing." However, I can get from my driveway in GJ all the way to Naturita with only crossing 2 roads.
I don't think they were talking about flying in a plane Jim.

Actually, anything south of the GPS'd area and I'm a complete noob, so some time I'll have to do the Naturita ride with you!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:46 AM   #56
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,880
Quote:
As far as the .kmz file for google earth goes:
WHITE routes are ...
RED routes are ...
BLUE routes are ...
These colors apply to the Granite Creek Inventory. The colors in the A6Routes set are blue, green, and violet (lavender?). What do they indicate?
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #57
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep

In.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #58
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince
Yo tambien
Bueno.
cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:45 AM   #59
Cloud9 OP
I was HERE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz
These colors apply to the Granite Creek Inventory. The colors in the A6Routes set are blue, green, and violet (lavender?). What do they indicate?
A6 (Area 6 of the Bangs Canyon Special Recreation Management Area (SRMA)) was designed to be a major single track (bicycle/motorcycle) area and was approved and signed off by Catherine Robertson, the Field Office Manager. So this is NOT a wish list item... this is part of the signed plan)

So there are only really two types of routes in this area

GREEN is either exsisting 4WD or "to be built 4WD" route called Snyder Flats Road and is to be a re-route of the Tabeguache Trail system connecting Hwy 141 with Little Park Road and is part of the last RPM's MUST do requirement that didn't happen. I'm proud to let you all know that it was my personal efforts which lead to finding a way through the cliff band which had kept this from happening. (you should have seen the look on the AANs faces when they saw this route going their "personal" "you can't do that!" area... IT WAS TRUELY PRICELESS. My boss was so happy because it threw all of their other pitiful, cry baby, "issues" down into the basement. I swear, it was like watching a 5000 lb bomb go straight down the smoke stack of a battleship!) There are some issues to completing this connector though. My BLM riding partner is working hard to kept this from failing. The other two colors;

BLUE and VIOLET (... what is "urple" Alex, lavender) are single track. PURPLE are the routes the BLM is suppose to build THIS ('09)summer, (but the GJ archy, who is VERY AAN, is doing everything she can to stop the GJ office from building this World Class riding area as the Bangs Canyon Plan stipulates) BLUE routes are alternet lines or in some cases exsisting 4WD not to be used... sorry I wasn't going to send this but since it's out AND it is public information, so be it.

Cloud9 screwed with this post 12-29-2008 at 04:35 AM
Old 12-28-2008, 08:26 PM   #60
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,261
Quote:
I'd be very interesed in getting a ride together but it will have to wait till mid summer because my shoulder is on the mend till around then.

I'm not freed up till mid June early July so hopefully that could work , thanks for offering .
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote