ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 213 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 06:24 AM   #1936
univibe88
Slidell4Life
 
univibe88's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Taxachusetts
Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
The Buck Forever Warranty is no BS. I have a Buck Folder I bought in 1986. It has dressed every big game animal I've ever shot, and all the ones my boys have shot, plus some of my friends' deer and elk. And a mess of birds.

So I have some emotional attachment to the knife. A few years back, I was field dressing a deer, and got sloppy and snapped the tip of the knife off busting apart the pelvis bone. I called Buck and asked about getting the blade replaced.

They did the work, and reconditioned the rest of the knife as new, and would not accept money. I told them several times it was from my abuse and not the fault of the knife in any way. I picked up the knife in person at their plant in Post Falls ID as I was traveling through.

"This is a forever warranty, Mr. Roberts. There is no charge. Thank you for choosing Buck Knives."

That's a good company.
That is really cool! It's also nice that they repaired it and you have the "same" knife. You have a lot of memories with that knife and it would have sucked if they just handed you a brand new one.
__________________
List of my old bikes that no one cares about
Current bikes go here to make others jealous


"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:50 AM   #1937
ShadyRascal
Master of None
 
ShadyRascal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: the Root, Western Montana
Oddometer: 6,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post
That is really cool! It's also nice that they repaired it and you have the "same" knife. You have a lot of memories with that knife and it would have sucked if they just handed you a brand new one.

When I first talked to them on the phone, they actually asked me about that, if the knife had sentimental value. I said yes I have a history with this knife, and they assured me they would just replace the broken blade and keep the rest of the knife with original parts. Great folks.
__________________
Originally Posted by Javarilla

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.


Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #1938
Signal
Cynical Idealist
 
Signal's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 8,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
Please explain/rephrase

I only get red "X"s at work
__________________
Day Trippin'- Endless Utah
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #1939
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon
 
Smithy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: 22310
Oddometer: 7,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
The Buck Forever Warranty is no BS. I have a Buck Folder I bought in 1986. It has dressed every big game animal I've ever shot, and all the ones my boys have shot, plus some of my friends' deer and elk. And a mess of birds.

So I have some emotional attachment to the knife. A few years back, I was field dressing a deer, and got sloppy and snapped the tip of the knife off busting apart the pelvis bone. I called Buck and asked about getting the blade replaced.

They did the work, and reconditioned the rest of the knife as new, and would not accept money. I told them several times it was from my abuse and not the fault of the knife in any way. I picked up the knife in person at their plant in Post Falls ID as I was traveling through.

"This is a forever warranty, Mr. Roberts. There is no charge. Thank you for choosing Buck Knives."

That's a good company.

Good on them for taking care of a loyal customer.

(minor soapbox)

A properly heat-treated knife should not snap as yours did. It's one of the reasons I dislike 440 Stainless, because it's prone to this sort of failure. Properly hardened/tempered carbon steel will bend, without any compromise of hardness or edge retention... but the trade-off is keeping the finish up.

(/minor soapbox)

FWIW, I own a couple of Buck's. And they get used, hard. It was one of my first knives as a kid.
__________________
Proprietor of The Tidewater Forge Hot iron is my passion. Fire is my mistress. Let's dance.
35 Years of Scouting Blog for Bushcrafting and Boy Scouting experiences.
Smithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #1940
ShadyRascal
Master of None
 
ShadyRascal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: the Root, Western Montana
Oddometer: 6,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Good on them for taking care of a loyal customer.

(minor soapbox)

A properly heat-treated knife should not snap as yours did. It's one of the reasons I dislike 440 Stainless, because it's prone to this sort of failure. Properly hardened/tempered carbon steel will bend, without any compromise of hardness or edge retention... but the trade-off is keeping the finish up.

(/minor soapbox)

FWIW, I own a couple of Buck's. And they get used, hard. It was one of my first knives as a kid.
I have spent a little time looking at higher quality knives, knowing my little Buck folder just is what it is. I bought it because the price was affordable, I didn't know what I wanted, and then just ended up having it forever so now I can't really change.

Sounds like the rest of my life.
__________________
Originally Posted by Javarilla

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.


Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #1941
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon
 
Smithy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: 22310
Oddometer: 7,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
I have spent a little time looking at higher quality knives, knowing my little Buck folder just is what it is. I bought it because the price was affordable, I didn't know what I wanted, and then just ended up having it forever so now I can't really change.

Sounds like the rest of my life.
Please don't take my comments as criticism... but the broken tip is very avoidable in carbon steel at dirt cheap prices, but with the trade-off that you don't see them in folders often.
__________________
Proprietor of The Tidewater Forge Hot iron is my passion. Fire is my mistress. Let's dance.
35 Years of Scouting Blog for Bushcrafting and Boy Scouting experiences.
Smithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #1942
RedRocker
Native Texican
 
RedRocker's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: N.Texas
Oddometer: 5,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
Please explain/rephrase

I only get red "X"s at work
I too was lamenting the lack of availability.
Prolly used the wrong smiley.
__________________
N. Texas
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #1943
Signal
Cynical Idealist
 
Signal's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 8,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
I too was lamenting the lack of availability.
Prolly used the wrong smiley.
Likely spot on, I just can't see it.
__________________
Day Trippin'- Endless Utah
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #1944
ShadyRascal
Master of None
 
ShadyRascal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: the Root, Western Montana
Oddometer: 6,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Please don't take my comments as criticism... but the broken tip is very avoidable in carbon steel at dirt cheap prices, but with the trade-off that you don't see them in folders often.
Oh yes, no offense taken at all. I was just speaking in realities of how things end up.
__________________
Originally Posted by Javarilla

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.


Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #1945
AngryScot
.
 
AngryScot's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: ☼ Ca ☼
Oddometer: 18,319
Glad I waited until this morning to see if I had funds in my palpal, the damascus blade I looked over blade forums sold this morning!
Saved me a lot of money
I was looking at the middle one


more of a drawer queen, although I still am on the hunt for a nice damascus camp knife
__________________
⊕R1200GS⊕ For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
⊕Zuma 125⊕For sale soon, snap it up and contact me.
Save $5 on Smugmug "so9RUAXlMm0bE"

AngryScot screwed with this post 04-04-2011 at 12:57 PM
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #1946
pilot
Slacker Moderator
 
pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 31,289
Like this?







__________________
The other 10% are sociopaths , serial killers and KLR riders. You wont get much sympathy from them.
-Furious D

I first had sex at the age of 13. However, my butt hurt so bad I never did it again.
- Mista Vern
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #1947
KingRat
Stroppy.
 
KingRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: a citizen of the world
Oddometer: 25,522
nah, get a working version done at the same time...

__________________
.
.

"Discourage self-help, and loyal subjects become the slaves of ruffians." - A. V. Dicey
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer
"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people's money." - Margaret Thatcher
KingRat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #1948
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon
 
Smithy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: 22310
Oddometer: 7,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
Glad I waited until this morning to see if I had funds in my palpal, the damascus blade I looked over blade forums sold this morning!
Saved me a lot of money
I was looking at the middle one

more of a drawer queen, although I still am on the hunt for a nice damascus camp knife

I've got something in the works you might like...

rough grind, rough etch:
__________________
Proprietor of The Tidewater Forge Hot iron is my passion. Fire is my mistress. Let's dance.
35 Years of Scouting Blog for Bushcrafting and Boy Scouting experiences.
Smithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #1949
KingRat
Stroppy.
 
KingRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: a citizen of the world
Oddometer: 25,522
izzat steel you made yourself?
__________________
.
.

"Discourage self-help, and loyal subjects become the slaves of ruffians." - A. V. Dicey
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer
"Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people's money." - Margaret Thatcher
KingRat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #1950
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze
 
DireWolf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: In the Mustard Booyah. Whooop!!
Oddometer: 12,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
I've got something in the works you might like...

rough grind, rough etch:

Whoa.

What's that gonna be for?
__________________
Please help Elias' (Toolfan's) young family - they lost a husband and a father: Donation Page: Toolfan Support Fund
DireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014