User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
cvillebound OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Chicago to Pictured Rocks National Park

My first "long" adventure on my first ever motorcycle. The VStrom DL650 was flawless. The Zega Pro panniers kept everything dry and provided plenty of storage. The trip started Sept. 11 in a pouring rain. I had never riden in rain before. After 100 miles of back roads wet payment, I started to feel comfortable with my ability to take on some speed. Highway 41 moves fast -- rain or dry. Around Green Bay WI it stopped raining. When I reached Marinette WI there was no more go in this riders tank. Found a nice hotel that welcomes motorcyclists. They told me to park the VStrom under the canopy. Yes, it had started to rain again. There is an excellent restaurant right next to the Country Inn. A big steak and a few beers provided some much needed fuel. The next morning was perfect for riding in my Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit -- cool and dry! I pilled into Grand Marais, MI just after lunch. This little town sits on the Eastern end of the Pictured Rocks National Park. It also happens to be the hometown of my Father. Dad is 87 years old. He saw the bike for the first time when I rode down Main Street. Dad loves the bike. He sat on it and I know he would have taken it for a ride if my Sister had not stopped him. I spent the next few days riding the Park roads and many miles of Alger County maintained dirt roads. This part of the Country is empty after Labor Day. I saw a few other adventure riders -- less than six total for the week. The ride back to Chicago started in the rain. Another 100 miles of wet payment and very cool temps. The Roadcrafter and the electric vest (plus five layers of shirts) saved the ride. After 962 miles I was back in my garage thinking about my next adventure ride.
http://yupper.smugmug.com/Travel/Gra...19812164_qcyfh

cvillebound screwed with this post 09-28-2010 at 06:47 PM Reason: One last Successful attempt to load photos.
cvillebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:31 AM   #2
explr
Just Stooopid

Oddometer: 168
Sounds great

I look forward to the pics. I also live in the Chicago area and am looking for places to ride. Everything seems to take a day's ride to get there and I don't have a ton of time to ride right now. Thanks for the idea and looking forward to your pictures!
explr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:38 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Pic attachment is not working, you need to host your pics on a pic hosting site:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...66&postcount=1

Old 09-22-2010, 03:48 AM   #4
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,343
We are waiting for pictures now ;-)

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:39 AM   #5
Jeff Opunx
Go BaBy Go...

Oddometer: 40