User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,606
HP2 Bavarian Markus tank question about shock options

Ok fellow HP2 owners here is my question and situation. I have been given the green light on one of Bavarian Markus's under the seat tanks. I have been in contact with Markus and here is the deal. Right now he is all sold out. 2-3 weeks until he makes more.

He now has two versions or options as most of you know. One for the stock Conti and one for the Ohlins or Wilbers. The difference in the two tanks is as follows.

The Conti tank will only fit the Conti shock and holds:

approx, 7 Liters or 1.849204367 Gallons

The Ohlins or Wilbers Version will fit the both the Conti shock and obviously the Ohlins and Wilbers shocks and holds:

approx
liter [L, l]:
gallon (US):

I love the HP2 and really have no complaints about the ride or adjust abillity on the Conti shock. My question is how much is a replacement Conti shock or where can you get them serviced if i stick with the Conti? Are they readily available?

I have Ohlins on my GSA and had Wilbers on my older GS. They are set up for your weight and just dialed in nice. They must weigh a bit more than the Conti. They also cost an arm and a leg just for one HP2 rear shock!

So the Conti shock is fine for me. Do I stay with it and have a liter more fuel or go with the Ohlins version and have liter less? If at some point down the road the Conti dies or needs service and or replacement get a Ohlins?

So i guess i really have two different questions here.

How available is the Conti for replacement or service and price?

Which tank would you go with considering the liter + or - and shock options?

Thanks guys.

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
tankage........

Rumor is that the Conti US service station is in Ventura, CA but I can not confirm.....Dealers will know but are unlikely to pass info directly to owners....I would not worry about long term availability or serviceability since BMW put its name on it and are contractually obligated to provide backup for 14 years....I'll be dead by then so am not at all worried....

As for the tank, I filled mine after the install and put in 1.91 gallons....picture of the install procedure (did not follow the instructions provided by Marcus) under "ultimate HP2 farkle" in the indexes.....about four months ago and I am 110% satisfied with the tank and its operation.

As for not stepping up for the Ohlins and enduring the taunts of fellow riders who remind me that Jimmy Lewis blew up his Conti during the Baja 1000, I'm just going to have to take it. Your results may vary!

Bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Funhouse

Thanks Bruce, its due to your email and PMs we exchanged Im going to spring for this tank.

What ever model tank I get, do you thank i can come down (Im up in Napa) and look at your installation? You sent me very detailed pics of yours but seeing in person would help. Or maybe the same guy you had put yours in might be willing to do another?

Either way Bruce thanks! Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
funhouse
Overdue

Oddometer: 3,044
Any Way That Works

CORY: You're more than welcome to come by for a review....and I expect John would install for you.....not sure if he could do it on a 'wait' basis but he surely could assemble the parts prior to your arrival....he lives in Santa Ynez, an hour north of Santa Barbara.....and he's busy de-lousing his new GS800....Bruce

http://picasaweb.google.com/funhouse750
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:38 AM   #5
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse
....................As for not stepping up for the Ohlins and enduring the taunts of fellow riders who remind me that Jimmy Lewis blew up his Conti during the Baja 1000, I'm just going to have to take it. Your results may vary!

Bruce
Well your fellow riders are not up to speed then as JL will tell anyone that he prefers the OEM air shock to anything else out there. What blew up was a modified air shock and quite frankly when racing the Baja1000, lots of things randomly blow up for no reason. I have the Ohlins for road duty as it is without doubt superb there, but offroad you will not get better traction with any shock than you do with the OEM Conti
Old 12-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #6
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Merry Christmas Bobby and fellow ADV Riders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
Well your fellow riders are not up to speed then as JL will tell anyone that he prefers the OEM air shock to anything else out there. What blew up was a modified air shock and quite frankly when racing the Baja1000, lots of things randomly blow up for no reason. I have the Ohlins for road duty as it is without doubt superb there, but offroad you will not get better traction with any shock than you do with the OEM Conti
Bobby, what is the price on the Conti from a dealer for replacement? (I dont expect any trade secrets to be released) Does a dealer actually send a broken Conti unit out for repair or just replace a shock if its damaged?

As you pointed out, traction and off road ride from the Conti, there is no complaint from me. The bike can do way more than I can put it through.

My wife and I saw some video while we were down in Baja in November this year of the Hp2 in the Baja 1000 Race from a season or two ago. The Hp2 held its own and yes that race puts any thing to the test. The forces the machines are put through, stuff just breaks, blows up, die's, etc.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
mrmaico
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme
Bobby, what is the price on the Conti from a dealer for replacement? (I dont expect any trade secrets to be released) Does a dealer actually send a broken Conti unit out for repair or just replace a shock if its damaged?

As you pointed out, traction and off road ride from the Conti, there is no complaint from me. The bike can do way more than I can put it through.

My wife and I saw some video while we were down in Baja in November this year of the Hp2 in the Baja 1000 Race from a season or two ago. The Hp2 held its own and yes that race puts any thing to the test. The forces the machines are put through, stuff just breaks, blows up, die's, etc.
It looks like the Conti is $1291 from Chicago BMW.
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:04 PM   #8
ztrab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Either

For a liter or less, why limit yourself to the Conti. My tank is on its way, will accept the oem Conti or the Wilber's/Ohlin's. If you saw the HP in Baja up close in race trim, it was using an Ohlin's painted black beneath number plates on each side of the sub frame - you had to be there and be allowed to get that close. Blow the oil out of your conventional sprung shock and you can still limp home on the spring. Let the air out of your Conti and see how far you get. I did Baja on the Conti, it was okay - lacked any significant rebound adjustment, no hi/low compression adjustment and it pushed the front end at high speed in the sand, but mostly I worried about losing the bladder in the middle of Baja. Had a problem with the pump at one point and I left the air pressure lower than I would have like for the terrain, but I didn't want to risk losing all the air. It turned out to be sand in the pump valve. Everyone has an opinion I am sure, but I look at the component's weak point and the ability to ride the bike home from a remote location. It is one thing to flat out a Conti 50 miles from an urban center when you can call somebody as opposed to sitting in the middle of the Baja. I am running the Wilber's 642, but the next owner can use either with the Markus tank. My primary concern is off-road use and reliability.
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
Kristobal K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
conti + and -

I have investigated the fuel tank and shock options and come to the conclusion that the superior solution is HPN + Ohlins or Wilbers, for the following reasons:

Quality wise the HPN tank is flawless, relatively light weight and MOST importantly, simple (one tank is better than two). To me, this fits the HP2 design intent closely without being over-the-top extreme like the AQ monster.

The conti shock works well and provides surprising ride adjustability --my preference is soft in the soft stuff and hard on the hard stuff-- BUT in my mind it has two significant flaws. First, if you are pounding it mile after mile in the dirt, it will heat up and stiffen up significantly, enough to drastically affect its compliance. Second, if it does fail, you are walking, and given how quickly the HP2 can get you out of town, this might be a long walk.

At least the Ohlins/Wilbers will get you home.

All that said, my HP2 is bone stock. I've really found no compelling reason to change anything on it. Perhaps I'll be sorry some day when I run out of gas or run out of shock, but for now it pretty much hits the bulls eye as is.

Kristobal
Kristobal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
HP2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
@Kristobal K

"Second, if it does fail, you are walking,"

Why do you think that???

Take a piece of wood,stick it in, and drive slowly
wherever you want.
HP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #11
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Is this GPS Kevin's tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP2
I have the best solution for this Problem

Conti 13 Liter
Wilbers MX 13 Liter

Can you make another one?

GPS Kevin's tank link
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242555

Old 12-27-2008, 12:18 PM   #12
Hotmamaandme OP
Wishing I was riding RTW

Good info guys

There are some good points being made here about both shock options. Aswell as other tank options. I am aware of the HPN tank but its to much money and I like the slim sleek look of the HP2 that is retained with the under the seat tank. Not to mention lower better weight distribution.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:31 PM   #13
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,294
ALL the vendors who make stuff for the HP 2 should be thanked . This is a low production model. Their not going to get rich selling HP 2 stuff.

That said, I love the stock air shock. I have back issues and the Conti just makes me . If is blows (no bike is perfect, even BMWs break) I'll deal with it.

I installed the HPN tank and that's my fix. However, Markus tank looks great. There is always two ways to get somewhere.

Sorry for going off topic. Cheers to ALL HP 2 riders . Happy Holidays. Jim
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #14
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP2
@Garthe

"ALL the vendors who make stuff for the HP 2 should be thanked"

Vendors??
I am not a seller.
I build only for me, not for other people.
Don't be so full of yourself, I made no reference to you HP 2 in my response and my comment was not intended for YOU. In fact this is Bavarian Markus Tread, which is who I was addressing. Jim
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:40 PM   #15
Kristobal K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
That's fun. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP2
@Kristobal K

"Second, if it does fail, you are walking,"

Why do you think that???

Take a piece of wood,stick it in, and drive slowly
wherever you want.
Why do I think that?

Well, we're out in the middle of nowhere, looking for a piece of wood --your suggestion-- just the right length and width and something that will fit perfectly between. . . Hmmmmm the swing arm thingy and the cross brace below the seat.... or, dang, that might not quite fit, and it might just be a bummer if it fell out while I'm doing 45 mph, cause the rear end might collapse and cause me to catapult into the path of that on coming semi. . .

I don't know. Just being unreasonable as usual I guess. Not a real concern, you're right. Carry on!

Cheers,

Kristobal

PS: let me know when you decide to re-enter the real world, right?
Kristobal K is offline   Reply With Quote