User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
skin OP
Cheesy Rider

Oddometer: 3
Arkansas Ozark 2-Day Dual Sport Ride

This January 31st - Febuary 1st dual-sport overnight adventure starts off in Brock Creek/Jerusalem Arkansas.

GPS plot-

I have been dual-sporting in the Ozark National Forest for 5 years now, fastjack and Brian W for many years before that. This is about the first time we have taken enough pictures to make a decent ride report - so here it is. Loaded up a KTM 525, 640 Adventure (aka Valdez) and a DRZ400 in Southaven, MS and departed about 9. We were unloaded and on the trail in Arkansas by 1245. Rode a good mix of trail/dirt rode until we stopped by a creek for a late lunch and a little small-mouth fishing - no bites.

Continued on dirt/gravel roads for the next several hours riding mostly very scenic ridgelines. Last week, most of Arkansas suffered from a very bad ice storm, and it was very apparent in all the broken trees covering the ground. Some roads were cut by chainsaw crews, and others were impassable - huge fallen trees as far as you could see, one after another.

At about 430 or 5, we were on the road that was going to take as to our cabins and dinner for the night (no tent camping this time), when we came upon some downed trees. We began making our way around the trees, up large embankments, making trails, carrying bikes over logs, etc - double-a stuff. About 30 minutes into the tree-dodging, and it beginning to get dark, we realized we didn’t have much time to mess around. We were traveling roughly a mile an hour. About the time it was dark, we caught up to Jack (it was every man for himself by this point, no waiting), with the 640 laid over on the side. Picked it up, and talked about how we were probably going to be spending the night in the woods. We didn’t have tent, but plenty of food and firewood. We agreed to keep going until it was too dark to navigate. Three or four trees later, in pitch black (610), we caught up to where the forest service had quit cutting, and made our way several miles to the Mack’s Pines cabin we had reserved. For dinner we had some of the best country-fried chicken with gravy, salad, and fries I’ve had in awhile (she also claims to make the best burger in Arkansas, too).

After that, went to the cabin and watched SNL and sipped on some Turkey. The next morning, after breakfast, we asked Val if there were any cool spots around, maybe some stuff only the locals know about. She then drew us a map to Buzzard Roost.

On our way there, one of the few geocaches we had put on the GPS, popped-up on the road we were on. It was Page Cabin – after searching for 20 minutes or so, we found the micro-cache, but it was too wet to sign.

From there we continued on our trek to Buzzard Roost, and wound up on some four-wheeler trails that were also demolished by trees. After awhile of riding (kind of), and considering turning back because the trails were so destroyed, we finally made it to Rainbow Rock…took some pics.

On the ride back, ran into some dudes on Harleys, Jack raced with one of them in the past…split a beer with them.

Wound up going on reserve and stole some gas 1.5gal from the Valdez. Also topped up Brian’s bike - Trip wound up being 150 miles with no refuel and 2 stock gas tanks…good times.

Stealing some gas from the 6-4

2126 feet - not bad for 3 hours from flat

skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
Sirwrexalot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Looks like a good time. Theres one thing FastJack knows its Ozark trails and Wild Turkey.

Looks like the forest took a beating with all that ice.
Sirwrexalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,045
You've got some nice winter riding there! thanks for posting
Old 02-04-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,121
Very nice, glad you had a good time! I'm kind of getting to know my way around that area but haven't been that far east yet. I hope folks are starting to recover from the storm damage.
The SLAP rally is going to be at White Rock in May, it's good to hear that all the trails aren't impassable.
That turkey is some gooood stuff, gotta splurge once in a while.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,256
Very nice! Looks like you guys had an awesome time.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Staxrider
dirt dauber

Oddometer: 2,041
3 hours from flat.

That's a good way to describe it. Too damned cold for my bones this time of the year. Much better 3 months from now.
Staxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
RWL2411
n00b

Oddometer: 6
arrrrruh??

Ride on supafly! glad you guys finally made a ride report out of the thousands of miles you've ridden over there! if you can figure out a ride that would be conductive to my g-unit i could probably figure a three day weekend out. be good.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,735
I figure White Rock is destroyed but lets check it out. Let me know. We'll bring our group and meet you guys!

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
FAST JACK
Hardcore Dirt bIKER

Oddometer: 119
White Rock

Not "totally" destroyed, just looks like it in a lot of spots. Come on out to the WUDI ride at the end of this month and find out where the some of the not tore up stuff is.
FAST JACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:39 AM   #10
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,087
I haven't ridden in that area yet, maybe will pack a small chain saw when I do. Thanks for the report.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:46 AM   #11
Vic Vegas
serendipity

Oddometer: 12
Arkansas a hidden gem and I hope it stays that way!

My brother & I decided to meet up for a week of dual sport riding a few years back we were both on KLR 650's. He lives in Iowa me Florida. I suggested we meet in Arkansas. We camped at Long Pool park on the Big Piney river just north of Russellville. Arkansas was truly amazing. The roads, trails, mountains, rivers, swimming holes and etc just amazing. The people were great too, genuinely nice and friendly without the feel of the tourist trap smiles you receive in other areas of the country. God I loved it! It's one of the best times I ever had. Thanks for your report for bring those memories back!

Vic Vegas screwed with this post 02-19-2009 at 07:57 AM
Vic Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote