User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
drhach OP
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,081
Suppose it was 1976...

...and I just bought a brand new R90/6. What I'm wondering, is if I was using this brand new bike as a commuter, would I have to worry about the battery slowly losing it's charge over time because it idled too much in traffic?

Because that's what's happening now. Over the course of a few weeks, my battery has gotten progessively deaderer. This seems to be something we accept as normal for. But is it? Would it have been accepted when the bikes were new, or has my electrical system "aged"? Have I been conditioned to accept something which I shouldn't accept?
drhach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
motor_chris
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach View Post
...and I just bought a brand new R90/6. What I'm wondering, is if I was using this brand new bike as a commuter, would I have to worry about the battery slowly losing it's charge over time because it idled too much in traffic?

Because that's what's happening now. Over the course of a few weeks, my battery has gotten progessively deaderer. This seems to be something we accept as normal for. But is it? Would it have been accepted when the bikes were new, or has my electrical system "aged"? Have I been conditioned to accept something which I shouldn't accept?
I have owned several bikes over the years including my current 1977 R100/7 (stock charging system) and have never needed a trickle charger. How long is your typical commute? Are you able to get the rpms up?
motor_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,350
There is an upgrade voltage regulator that charges at a lower RPM than the original. It bolts up the same as stock, but is smaller. I've had one in my bike for at least 15 years. I think I bought it from Bob's BMW in Jessup, MD. You don't have to put up with that.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,868
I'm liking adjustable voltage regulators.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,289
Quote:

No, because there were approximately 50% fewer people in the world clogging the roadways.

Also, people once took pride in driving well, i.e; actually facilitating traffic flow.

As for your bike, the stock system charges at 3k and above, I believe. Have you checked brushes, output,etc?
Old 07-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #6
SculptD
Smells like tech

Oddometer: 283
When I recall the vehicles in my family from the 70s, I remember many aspects of unreliability being considered a normal occurrence. These days we think every things supposed to work flawlessly.

And, 1976..........

1. Silly Love Songs, Paul McCartney and Wings
2. Don't Go Breaking My Heart, Elton John and Kiki Dee
3. Disco Lady, Johnnie Taylor
4. December 1963 (Oh What a Night), The Four Seasons
5. Play That Funky Music, Wild Cherry
6. Kiss and Say Goodbye, The Manhattans
7. Love Machine, Pt. 1, The Miracles
8. 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover, Paul Simon
9. Love Is Alive, Gary Wright
10. A Fifth of Beethoven, Walter Murphy and The Big Apple Band
11. Sara Smile, Daryl Hall and John Oates
12. Afternoon Delight, Starland Vocal Band
13. I Write the Songs, Barry Manilow
14. Fly Robin Fly, Silver Convention
15. Love Hangover, Diana Ross
16. Get Closer, Seals and Crofts
17. More, More, More, Andrea True Connection
18. Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen
19. Misty Blue, Dorothy Moore
20. Boogie Fever, The Sylvers
Old 07-03-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
Jim K in PA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
There is an upgrade voltage regulator that charges at a lower RPM than the original. It bolts up the same as stock, but is smaller. I've had one in my bike for at least 15 years. I think I bought it from Bob's BMW in Jessup, MD. You don't have to put up with that.
As far as energy output "charges at a lower RPM" is not possible with just a different voltage regulator. It can charge at a higher voltage, but a regulator cannot increase the output of the alternator. Only a larger stator/rotor will increase output, or higher rotor RPM.

Just don't want things to get confusicated.
<---clicky

1975 BMW R90S Hack - Olga
Olga's story - adopted 3/22/14<---clicky
Jim K in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #8
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 989
1. We didn't run our headlights all the time.

2. Ozmoses is right, as usual, and we both want you kids to get off our lawns!
Old 07-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #9
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,545

Quote:
Higher Voltage Regulator for Airheads, $38.95

This is a solid-state, non-adjustable voltage regulator that will help the battery recover more quickly from the heavy discharge of a startup, or a few minutes of low-speed running. The regulator DOES NOT INCREASE CHARGING SYSTEM OUTPUT CAPACITY! No regulator alone can. It does maintain the battery at a higher 14.2 voltage than the stock regulator allows, which is closer to the designed best operating voltage of the entire electrical system and gives more reserve in the battery. There are no moving parts internally, and it's a simple bolt-on, plug and play install.

...from your friends at Motorrad Elektrik

Old 07-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
Thorazine
Likes exhaust fumes

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
2. Ozmoses is right, as usual, and we both want you kids to get off our lawns!
And hike up them skinnypants while yer at it!

Bones aren't important; we like motorcycles. My boy D @ 4 y/o
Thorazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #11
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,009
Here is a suggestion that will only require a change in the operators behavior: keep the RPM range ~4k while riding by using lower gears and see if that does not help with keeping the battery charged. The charging system will work ok above 3k rpm if keep in good condition, but older systems need to operate at higher rpm: http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Articles.asp?ID=135

I noticed this with my /7, where I have tried to keep the charging system in good condition, that riding between 3500 and 4500 rpm does a better job of keeping the battery charged in the city. Adjusting the voltage regulator to 14.2 volts is all good, but if the alternator isn't putting out the amperes (which depend on RPM) then the battery will not get charged.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #12
op48no1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:

How old is your battery?

-Henry
Old 07-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K in PA View Post
As far as energy output "charges at a lower RPM" is not possible with just a different voltage regulator. It can charge at a higher voltage, but a regulator cannot increase the output of the alternator. Only a larger stator/rotor will increase output, or higher rotor RPM.

Just don't want things to get confusicated.
Well, however you want to say it, with this upgraded regulator, the charge light isn't on at 2K like it was with the stock one. At a low idle, the light barely winks on, and is out at 1100 or so. I never said that with this regulator, the charging system has a higher output.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #14
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,016
It's gonna get worse in 11 years In the Year 2525... EEK

--Bill
Old 07-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #15
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 694
Stan_R80/7 I think has the best answer, keep the revs up and ride in a lower gear. In 1975 I had a customer that was always running her battery down and complaining it just wouldn't hold a charge until I discovered she was riding in low RPM range most of the time. I told her to try an experiment of riding in lower gears and keeping the revs up,.... the battery was always up after that but she was still unhappy because she preferred to ride in low RPMs.

Even though we corrected her un-problem, she sold her bike and bought a Harley or a Guzzy (can't remember which) and never heard from her again.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote