Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #136
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by bereahorn
This might be of interest. I've tried to add an attachment but didn't see it in the preview post. Oh, well I'll try it anyway.
Well, that looks like the definitive word. Nice find, horn.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:09 PM   #137
bereahorn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
Well, that looks like the definitive word. Nice find, horn.
Well, I hope it's helpful to some. Maybe it will settle some arguments. I don't know if that is still BMWs policy but I wouldn't be surprised. I had an '01 GS that indicated the speedo optimistically. No doubt it's the lawyer CYA syndrome that's implemented throughout the world.
bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #138
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oh No!!!

This morning I changed ALL the fluids and found a couple of problems. First off my final drive oil was a little milky. Water's getting in there somehow and I don't like it. Second and more serious, when I dropped the tranny oil the magnet had the usual fuzz along with three small shards of metal seen below in the jaws of a 10mm wrench for scale. (sorry about the crappy cell phone photo) They are long skinny splinters and fairly thick. They aren't the flakes you usually see coming from bearing races. They have some thickness to them. I also took a pair of pliers to one and bent it. It didn't snap so it didn't come off of something really hard (like a bearing race).

To all of you who've been there before, what am I in for? Is this an indication of imminent tranny death, or could these just be a result of crunching into gear a few too many times? There are 15k miles on the box and it did sit for about 15-20 years. The tranny shifts fine and there's no feelable grinding when turning the wheel over on the centerstand. I realize nobody can tell me definitively one way or another, but I need some reassurance (or warning, but hopefully not). Anybody?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 04-11-2009 at 07:04 PM
Old 04-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #139
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,185
how much time before your trip?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #140
Twin headlight Ernie
bar napkin engineering

Oddometer: 1,363
Hi Airhead Wrangler, I just spotted this thread. I'm suprised I did'nt spot it earlier. Very cool bike project you got going there. I'm glad my skidplates could be part of such a worthwhile project. Keep up the good work. Let me know if I can help you out in the future. 2HE

My Smugmug:
http://twinheadlighternie.smugmug.com/

Dakota Motorsports
Twin headlight Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #141
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
how much time before your trip?
Shoving off mid-september or october 1st at the latest, so plenty of time. I was just hoping that the tranny was going to be a grand that I didn't have to spend now. Damn it. The trip budget may have just gotten a little tighter. I'm going on a 800-1000 mile ride next weekend and after that I might drop my tranny oil again and look for any more evil. Problem is, what are the chances that those little shards even make their way to the magnet? For all I know, these little pieces could've been living in the bottom of the box for a while and only recently migrated close enough to the magnet to get picked up. Maybe I'll get one of those little magnets on a flexy wire, snake it in the drain hole and do some sweeping and see what I find.

Anyway, my feeling on the matter right now is just ride it and pay close attention to it - Feel for the first signs of any bad vibes, put it up on the center stand and turn the wheel often, change my tranny oil every time I change my engine oil and watch for any more chunks. After a few months of that I'll make my decision on whether or not to get it rebuilt. Anyway, what's the lead time to get a box built from any of the big names? (Anton, Oak, Ted Porter, etc.) They can turn them around in a few weeks right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin headlight Ernie
Let me know if I can help you out in the future. 2HE
Do you know how to rebuild airhead transmissions?? Thanks, Ernie. Keep coming up with new goodies for our old bikes! American cottage industry at its finest.
Shameless plug for Ernie's wares: http://twinheadlighternie.smugmug.co...10440858_FFNER

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 04-11-2009 at 08:05 PM
Old 04-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #142
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,729
Quote:
They can turn them around in a few weeks right?
depends on the time of year. getting to be busy season, but yeah, couple of weeks is usually a good budget number.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #143
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,185
This is a gearbox emergency. Hold a micrometer in front of a flashlight and shine it up at the sky--it's the Anton bat-signal.

does 2HE's bashplate mount to the frame?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #144
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,613
Listen, 'wrangler. Had a weird vibration coming from the rear for a few weeks. I had been having problems with my FD leaking all over my shoes. Turned out that the orings on the brake arm were the wrong size, but the vibration was still there. It was my tranny. 700 and something, something later, it was fixed. I would hate to think of you stuck somewhere south with a f'up tranny. If you want to save the dough, buy a used one ready to ship. If you want piece of mind, rebuild it.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:32 PM   #145
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,475
I fished out similar shavings with a telescoping magnet while mine was still shifting and running well. I had three bad gears and bad bearings..... other than a slight while all seemed fine. I can show you the bag of gears and bearings that are crap...

+1 on tackling the trany now. It's almost high season and you will wait months then... heck Ted had me waiting for more than a month in the off season.

I do know a local cash-only former super-head tech BMW guy that knows his stuff and is very, very good.... 2Trac is having his trans done buy this guy right now. I would have picked him over Ted if I had had cahs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #146
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Here you go...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_5598wt_1111
Old 04-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #147
Readymeal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil

does 2HE's bashplate mount to the frame?
nope to the oil pan like the original one
Readymeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:51 AM   #148
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,098
Quote:
Is this an indication of imminent tranny death, or could these just be a result of crunching into gear a few too many times?
If the oil looked OK otherwise, I'd say the latter. When shift dogs have a rough encounter, you lose a little wire of metal from the edge. They are very distinctive. When the box is eventually opened, you'll see where they came from (and they can't be put back, so don't do that!).

If the tranny is from the circlip days (which I suspect it is) and the output shaft spins smoothly, I'd just go ahead and run it for a bit with some clean oil and then have another look. It is probably worth pulling the driveshaft off and feeling the flange directly, though. Just pull the swingarm back an inch to give yourself some room.

If the gearbox runs too hot to touch, just get it off your mind and have it checked out. If it's too hot to keep your hand on but OK for a second or two, that's pretty normal.

Lead times can really be anything, but if you make a firm appointment for the work (most guys will probably work with you on this) so that you're not jumping in front of an existing backlog, it's just a one-day job unless unusual parts need to be ordered.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:51 AM   #149
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Hey, 'wrangler. if you're worried about down time for the ST, I have a spare I can loan you if you need to as you send the other out. I know I'm not next door, but, shouldn't be too much to ship. let me know.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #150
Readymeal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Shoving off mid-september or october 1st at the latest, so plenty of time. I was just hoping that the tranny was going to be a grand that I didn't have to spend now. Damn it. The trip budget may have just gotten a little tighter. I'm going on a 800-1000 mile ride next weekend and after that I might drop my tranny oil again and look for any more evil. Problem is, what are the chances that those little shards even make their way to the magnet? For all I know, these little pieces could've been living in the bottom of the box for a while and only recently migrated close enough to the magnet to get picked up. Maybe I'll get one of those little magnets on a flexy wire, snake it in the drain hole and do some sweeping and see what I find.

Anyway, my feeling on the matter right now is just ride it and pay close attention to it - Feel for the first signs of any bad vibes, put it up on the center stand and turn the wheel often, change my tranny oil every time I change my engine oil and watch for any more chunks. After a few months of that I'll make my decision on whether or not to get it rebuilt. Anyway, what's the lead time to get a box built from any of the big names? (Anton, Oak, Ted Porter, etc.) They can turn them around in a few weeks right?
i think you are worrying too much Airhead Wanker, just ride the thing to South America, if the tranny ever brakes down it s going to be an excellent story/shot for the movie furthermore you can always finish the trip on a local XR200 with the PD tank strapped on it
Readymeal is offline   Reply With Quote