Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #196
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
The good news is the there is a local trans "guru"...
Well? How do I find the guy?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #197
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
Despite searching all of Datchew's threads from the last year or so, I haven't been able to find a wiring diagram showing exactly how this mess hooks up. Basically, I'm assuming that the stock switched hot off the ignition switch still supplies power to the coil, and the black wire leads to the points can and from there to ground (not including booster, not sure how that fits into the equation).

Quote:
I have my points can and 3 ohm coil and am ready to slap it all together this afternoon. One question though. From the dark secrets thread, I found that I need to buy Bosch 01011 points, but have seen mention that they need to be the heavy duty version so as not to float. The "heavy duty" points are a different part number. Anyone care to clarify? Datch?

Quote:
Also, Datchew, I bought a spare set of points from the part number you put up in the 'Dark Secrets' thread, but didn't get the "tiger tail" ones for some reason. Mine are made in Brazil, but only have the solid black wire. Did you get Bosch 01011 and get those striped ones with the stiffer spring?

Bro, I'm sorry. I just haven't been keeping up with all the threads. No time.

The tiger tail and non-tiger tail (best I can remember) are the same part #. It's just that VW gets it from different vendors.

I picked the one to use based on the fiber-type wear pad that rides on the lobed cam instead of the plastic. I had chased gremlins when that cracked just enough to lay over on it's side and make my old bug quit running but it would flip right back up when you opened the points arm and throw you off.

Yes, one is stiffer sprung, but I doubt the RPM's in our bikes are high enough to worry about float. besides, for the same RPM's as a VW (roughly) it's hitting half as many cam lobes as a VW so I'd suspect you're probably fine with either.

Just put a tiny smear of oil on that cam lobe.

If you need more info on the hookup of the points system, check out this thread:

LINKY
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #198
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,335
Quote:
Well? How do I find the guy?
PM'd ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #199
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,458
Quote:
This thing was a 1984 R80ST when this all began. Adding up all the major items I've sunk about $4700 into this thing, but I'm pretty much done as far as spending is concerned. The only reason I went as far as I have is that I got the bike itself for free, so at least I haven't pushed this project too far into the red. Then again this price doesn't include all the small stuff like fasteners, electrical connectors, cans of carb cleaner, tubes of loctite, etc and those can add up too.

Was it worth it? Yes, I think so. I know right now that I'm going to be keeping this bike for quite some time. In fact, I may very well ride this thing until it just can't be fixed anymore. If this were like any of the other 10 bikes I've had, I wouldn't put nearly so much work into it. Projects like this aren't a calculated rational act based on sound logic. They certainly aren't profitable. Realize up front that you're not making the bike more valuable. You won't get any more money out of it when you sell it, but consider what else you will get out of it before you sell it. Consider the good times, the knowledge gained and the places it takes you, and you may consider it cost effective. I know that what I've gotten out of this bike so far has been worth every penny I've put into this thing.

If you want thrifty then look elsewhere. You'll pay a premium for making major upgrades to R bikes, especially those of the dual sport variety. You really have to like these things to justify the expenses to yourself. The trouble is that these bikes are pretty tough not to like. As far as regular maintenance is concerned though, these bikes are pretty cheap to keep running.

Thifty, huh? They make these bikes called KLR650s...

EDIT: some typos. woops
I have been reading your posts and trying to learn. I would humbly like to ask you a question. Why didn't you start off with a R100GS?
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #200
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun
I have been reading your posts and trying to learn. I would humbly like to ask you a question. Why didn't you start off with a R100GS?
You're not the first person to ask me that question. I've asked myself that question before. I have my reasons. First off, I got the bike for free. It was given to me in immaculate condition with only 2000 miles on it by a neighbor who had taken great care of it for 20+ years. There's no way that I could turn right around and sell it in good conscience. It was entrusted to me. Flipping it for a different bike just wouldn't sit right. Second off, I want a monolever. It's a lighter, simpler bike with what most people would agree is a more reliable driveline. No, it doesn't handle quite as well as the paralever, but it's good enough for me. I also like the more nimble feel of the shorter wheelbase. The frame, engine, swingarm, rear wheel, and most other major components are identical to those of the G/S (same part #s), so it's a perfectly suitable base to start with. Anyway, the long and short of it is that I got a free bike and didn't mind dropping some money to make it exactly what I want. Yeah, it would've been easier to buy the bike I want, but I'm never one to overlook an opportunity for a project. This one has been educational and fulfilling. I kept all original parts and haven't made any undoable modifications either so I can put it back to stock whenever I want.

The short answer: "just cuz I wanted to."

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #201
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

so um LINKY is the points-mod working?
Old 06-22-2009, 07:15 AM   #202
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
so um LINKY is the points-mod working?
You bet. It's been working since the day I got the parts. I've since added a Dyna booster, which though I can't notice much functionally, my points should last quite a bit longer. I also switched back to 5k ohm resistor caps. I was running no resistance between coil and head as I no long had any sensitive electronics involved, but it wasn't long before I zapped a few of my LED indicator lights. I figured that any kind of spikey interference capable of doing that was also capable of zapping my trailtech computer and electronic voltage regulator/rectifier. Anyway, long story short, it works great. Consider me a member of the points cult.

HEY DRAGONS!!!!

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 06-22-2009 at 07:21 AM
Old 06-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #203
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,458
Quote:
You're not the first person to ask me that question. I've asked myself that question before. I have my reasons. First off, I got the bike for free. It was given to me in immaculate condition with only 2000 miles on it by a neighbor who had taken great care of it for 20+ years. There's no way that I could turn right around and sell it in good conscience. It was entrusted to me. Flipping it for a different bike just wouldn't sit right. Second off, I want a monolever. It's a lighter, simpler bike with what most people would agree is a more reliable driveline. No, it doesn't handle quite as well as the paralever, but it's good enough for me. I also like the more nimble feel of the shorter wheelbase. The frame, engine, swingarm, rear wheel, and most other major components are identical to those of the G/S (same part #s), so it's a perfectly suitable base to start with. Anyway, the long and short of it is that I got a free bike and didn't mind dropping some money to make it exactly what I want. Yeah, it would've been easier to buy the bike I want, but I'm never one to overlook an opportunity for a project. This one has been educational and fulfilling. I kept all original parts and haven't made any undoable modifications either so I can put it back to stock whenever I want.

The short answer: "just cuz I wanted to."

great answer.... i would have done the same thing..thx!
Racegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:37 AM   #204
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
Anyway, long story short, it works great. Consider me a member of the points cult.

HEY DRAGONS!!!!
Welcome to the brotherhood.

Last night i took apart another points beancan that i picked up on the side jus to examine it. 5 mins tops to complete disassembly (minus the weights and springs). A beautifully simple to fix thing.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:14 AM   #205
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Welcome to the brotherhood.

Last night i took apart another points beancan that i picked up on the side jus to examine it. 5 mins tops to complete disassembly (minus the weights and springs). A beautifully simple to fix thing.
Is this the one from the toasted motor R65 that you were one in line ahead of me???

If so, I really think you need to help a brother out and SELL IT TO ME

Quote:
Old 06-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #206
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,447
Okay, I'm going to be really lazy and show my ignorance to boot: what's the deal with points? Just field repairability? My recollection is that maintaining points was a PIA...

I went back and skimmed previous posts, and I'm still not sure why the desire for points. Is the Hall Effect Sensor failure really an issue?.

...just when I was getting over my circlip nightmares...

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain

Gimmeslack screwed with this post 06-25-2009 at 08:30 AM
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #207
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Your replacing two pieces of sensitive electronics, your hall sensor and ICU, with something as simple as a rock which can be repaired anywhere blindfolded with one hand tied behind your back with a gun held to your head (possibly underwater as well). Use a points amplifier and they'll need adjustment much less often as the points won't really wear, just the rubbing block. The points amplifier can be disconnected by changing ONE wire, so it isn't really a liability. Replacement points cost $7 at my local VW parts shop.

The 'bum says:
"Points have one big advantage: They are exceptionally simple, and can almost always be 'fixed' by the side of the road. They also can be fitted with a simply booster, or points amplifier, which GREATLY reduces the current through the points, and hence they can have a very much longer life......and maintenance is also reduced....keep that cam slightly greased, felt too if you have one (points canisters do not)....and check timing and gap now and then (5000 mile intervals, such as when valve clearances are checked, seems right)."

Old 06-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #208
TopDogDave
Manly, NSW, Australia

Oddometer: 152
creature comforts

Nice thread - just passing by so thought to lob in a couple of mods that make my GSPD more comfy - maybe you might consider them for your big trip too...

1. The std grips are just too big feeling and - I dunno - not 'nice'! So I took a sharp knife and cut off the rubber grips taking care to leave the plastic tubes containing the heating arrangement intact. Then simply wound on self adhesive squash raquet grip replacement tape. It is slightly foamy feeling like neoprene and has lasted 2 years no probs.

2. Since I started using hard plastic MX boots I found it hard to use the std brake pedal since the boots are too tall/deep at the front to fit under the rh carb. So I fabbed up an extender plate and bolted it through the pedal. Now it's way wider and I never miss the brake!!

Thanks for a great thread, sorry if I'm a bit off topic - now you can get back to it!

Dave
TopDogDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #209
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
Is this the one from the toasted motor R65 that you were one in line ahead of me???

If so, I really think you need to help a brother out and SELL IT TO ME
Whoah! That was you? Dude. Now I have guilt.

I tell you what. I'm refreshing it so bgoodsoil's got a backup plan on his adventure in S. America and other than that, it was going to be a long term spare part of my own.

If you want it, I'll send it to you for my cost (the points/condensor are my treat... you sent me the float bowl retainer lash parts) after bgood gets back from his trip. I hate to think of my man SOLO out there at risk with a hall sensor!!!
Old 06-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #210
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Whoah! That was you? Dude. Now I have guilt.
No guilt allowed, you were there first! I thought about offering the guy more but suspected that it might be an ADVR's on the hook so I didn't

Quote:
I tell you what. I'm refreshing it so bgoodsoil's got a backup plan on his adventure in S. America and other than that, it was going to be a long term spare part of my own.

If you want it, I'll send it to you for my cost (the points/condensor are my treat... you sent me the float bowl retainer lash parts) after bgood gets back from his trip. I hate to think of my man SOLO out there at risk with a hall sensor!!!
Kind offer, and I will keep looking on my own to find one... my set-up is working fine so no worries at this point at all!

I also have Stephen combing ebayu.de so I am sure I will get one at somepoint, no big rush...

But you know this is the latest "street cred" G/S bling so I gotta gets me some!

Quote: