User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2009, 08:44 AM   #271
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,419
Quote:
Trying to understand this... Is this because a spare points and condenser takes up less space and is lighter than a spare bean can? Or cheaper? i think I'd be inclined to go with the stock ignition.
the stock ignition left me stranded in the middle of Mexico about a month ago. Granted, it was a 25 year old piece of electronics. Most folks that run the stock ignition take a complete spare, bean can & ICU, in case of a failure. Of course, that spare could fail after it's been bouncing around in your toolbox for thousands of miles. With points spares can be had anywhere in the world and they can be fixed with basic tools.

I know a guy that rides a shovelhead who's been running an electronic ignition. He still keeps his points on the bike to back up the electronics. The problem with that on the airheads is that the electronic system uses a different coil than the points.

If I ever get to take another big trip I'll switch to points before I go but for right now I'll continue running the stock set-up.

sorry for the hijack. keep us updated on that gearbox. I'm bummed for ya man. that plain sucks.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:48 AM   #272
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Well, thanks all for the sympathy. At least cagers will hear my air raid siren... I mean BIKE coming.

(Don't worry, I'm not actually riding it. Just down the block and back was enough to know that something is royally FU**ED.)

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:48 AM   #273
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,044
That sux! I had Bruno in Ontario doing all my tranny and earlier spline work, he does it with perfection is all I can say. The complete tranny rebuilt with all new latest 17.5gears and long 5th after 10,000mls has developed no issues.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:58 AM   #274
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil
the stock ignition left me stranded in the middle of Mexico about a month ago.
Highjack=on

I hate when that happens! Now I know why I am always carrying 15lbs of spare parts and tools in two tank panniers when I am on a longer trip. A spare points beancan is one of them, a complete charging system another. I do rotate those spare parts every year. Have used a diodeboard for a broken down friend once and one for myself. Other than that, knock on wood, no catastrophic failures.

Highjack=off

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
Old 07-31-2009, 09:02 AM   #275
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

I believe the proper format is:

[hijack]

hijack content

[/hijack]

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 AM   #276
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,681
THat sicks my firend, I an sorry to hear about your tranny...

Mine was converted to the 17.5 degree set up as well, and I have a definitive howl... but I did before the conversion as well... it is getting better and quieter about 2,500 miles down the road...

Ted Porter told me that the new parts (sometimes) need some time to get to know each other... what does the rebuilder say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:20 AM   #277
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
Ted Porter told me that the new parts (sometimes) need some time to get to know each other... what does the rebuilder say?
Yeah, but this is LOUD. As loud as the engine at the very least. This isn't a subtle gear whine, we're talking SCREAMING. Some people were hanging out on my front porch having a beer last night when I took my test spin and they said they could hear my transmission when I was 3 blocks away.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 07-31-2009 at 09:25 AM
Old 07-31-2009, 09:25 AM   #278
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

My cheap Kenda 270 do that: SCREAMING! WHINING! HOWLING! More than once I feared it was my tranny until I was sure it was the tires.

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
Old 07-31-2009, 09:29 AM   #279
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB
My cheap Kenda 270 do that: SCREAMING! WHINING! HOWLING! More than once I feared it was my tranny until I was sure it was the tires.
Unfortunately I can't chalk this one up to tires.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #280
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellycow
Really stupid question: is there oil in that gearbox?
I'd think that with two tooth pitches you'd not be able to rotate the in/output at all because of interference. Or is the difference between those two pitches so minimal?
Not a stupid question, but yes, there is gear oil in the box. The difference in angle is only 1.5 degrees so it's subtle enough that you can't tell by just looking at the gears. They'll look like they fit together perfectly, but when you run them they let out an unhappy scream.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:36 AM   #281
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

I think it is 2.5deg (15 -> 17.5deg helical) and you can't possibly mix and match them. Your rebuilder if not a seasoned BMW tranny rebuilder wouldn't have known. BUT, the parts catalog should have given him the right part number because the parts are not interchangeable.So, what did happen?

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
Old 07-31-2009, 11:00 AM   #282
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB
So, what did happen?
NO IDEA. A buddy of mine used to rebuild airhead trannies for Bob's BMW when he lived back east. He's coming over this afternoon to give it a listen. Besides bearings and seals, the only things that were replaced are numbers 4 and 5 in the diagram below. A reminder, my bike is an '84 model year built in september of '83.

04 23221242991 gear wheel (17,5 DEG/D=30MM) - From 04/1982 to 03/1985 BUY 1 $169.48
05 23211233425 thrust adapter (D=35,5) - Up to 03/1985 BUY 1 $83.08

Old 07-31-2009, 11:46 AM   #283
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
My condolences bro. I pity your gearbox pain.

FYI. The condenser part for our beloved points conversion is suddenly NLA from Bosch. The Borg-Warner cross reference has the same fate.

You can find them still on a few shelves.

But you can buy a different one (also from bosch) and I think it works just as well. Just has a longer wire. Haven't tested yet.

Naturally, I don't have the part # in front of me.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #284
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,513
If it's not impolite to ask, WHO did your work on the tranny? I am considering have one of my bike's done over the winter and have heard so many conflicting reports on who is good and who is not.

Never met the guy who did BGgood's but I'm sure not taking it there after hearing how many times that guy's been inside his tranny.

T.
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:58 PM   #285
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

I'd rather not drag the guy's name through the mud, but suffice it to say you WON'T find this guy. He's local only and by referral only. Friend of a friend kind of deal who used to be a master tech at one of the local dealerships.