User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2009, 12:24 PM   #286
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,387
Possibilities:

Like Solo suggested maybe a new gear polishing itself? I think it's WAY too loud to be that, but I can always hope, right?

#2: Could the gears still be dry? I added oil, actually overfilled a bit - gear oil was slowly dribbling out when I screwed the filler plug back in. How long would it take to get oil on all the gears? I rode it about 4 blocks away from my house and 4 blocks back. I would think that would be enough to get them oily and happy, but could it just be a matter of taking another spin around the block?

Any other wild ideas about what it could be? I think I've debunked the gear tooth pitch theory, but not totally sure.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:35 PM   #287
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
Possibilities:

Like Solo suggested maybe a new gear polishing itself? I think it's WAY too loud to be that, but I can always hope, right?

#2: Could the gears still be dry? I added oil, actually overfilled a bit - gear oil was slowly dribbling out when I screwed the filler plug back in. How long would it take to get oil on all the gears? I rode it about 4 blocks away from my house and 4 blocks back. I would think that would be enough to get them oily and happy, but could it just be a matter of taking another spin around the block?

Any other wild ideas about what it could be? I think I've debunked the gear tooth pitch theory, but not totally sure.
Seriously, how about just laying the bike on it's side (gently) for 5 minutes? Maybe both sides? Upside down you would need to leave to Stagehand.

T.
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:16 PM   #288
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,320
I LEAVE THE BIKE ALONE AND TIP THE WORLD UPSIDE DOWN

Seriously I have been watching and hoping its just as they say, the parts getting to know one another.

It will take a few revs with no oil and not completely shit the bed. By the time you've gone a few yards most of the necessary bits have seen lube and mostly its for cooling the shit down anyway. not an oil problem i dont think.

I dunno wtf.

My tires are loud, too

Oh god im no help.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:52 PM   #289
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Well, I'm pretty sure the definitive answer will come soon. One of the former box builders from Bob's BMW is coming by tonight and I'm pretty sure he'll shit his pants when he hears it. After he changes his pants I bet he'll be able to give me a fairly solid opinion on what's making the unholy racket in my box. It sounds like a quartet of manual car transmissions driving in reverse. The tone is rev dependent, not speed or gear dependent and is present in all gears. This really points to the input gear. It still makes the sound even when the transmission is not under load. When in motion with the clutch in it still makes the sound if you're in gear. I think all signs point to the input gear.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:02 PM   #290
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Well, I'm pretty sure the definitive answer will come soon. One of the former box builders from Bob's BMW is coming by tonight and I'm pretty sure he'll shit his pants when he hears it. After he changes his pants I bet he'll be able to give me a fairly solid opinion on what's making the unholy racket in my box. It sounds like a quartet of manual car transmissions driving in reverse. The tone is rev dependent, not speed or gear dependent and is present in all gears. This really points to the input gear. It still makes the sound even when the transmission is not under load. When in motion with the clutch in it still makes the sound if you're in gear. I think all signs point to the input gear.
Any chance you can make a recording with your digi cam, upload to youtube, and link it here? It is pretty easy to do. This would allow us to listen.

A week ago I checked out a used local bike for a few Advrider inmates and made a recording with my camera in about 5 minutes. It allowed them to hear and see me riding the bike. I thought the engine made a noise and wanted potential buyers to hear it. Most any digicam can make movies.

Example in HD:

Tom
Old 07-31-2009, 02:15 PM   #291
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,617
Perhaps I'll duct tape my digicam to my trans housing and take a ride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:17 PM   #292
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile
Any chance you can make a recording with your digi cam, upload to youtube, and link it here?
You read my mind. That's already part of the plan. Coming soon to a computer screen near you.....

Tranny Terror!

This kind:

NOT this kind:

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 07-31-2009 at 07:10 PM
Old 07-31-2009, 02:19 PM   #293
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
Perhaps I'll duct tape my digicam to my trans housing and take a ride...
No duct tape, you must hold it with one hand while riding with the other. Duct tape is cheating.

T.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:19 PM   #294
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

OK here it is. Enjoy it. I know I won't.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:22 PM   #295
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,617
Quote:
OK here it is. Enjoy it. I know I won't.
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #296
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
Wow
+1. If I heard that out of the window of my car I'd be pulling to the side of the road and looking for the fire truck. That is a very weird and loud sound. Not unpleasant, but not normal. Can't wait to see what you find in there. Nice video!

T.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:15 PM   #297
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
any last chance you have no oil in your final drive or maybe a front wheel bearing?

if the noise changes with gear change, ignore that remark
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:18 AM   #298
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
any last chance you have no oil in your final drive or maybe a front wheel bearing?

if the noise changes with gear change, ignore that remark
I filled all 3 till they were overflowing. Then I double checked all 3. Both the tranny and final drive dribbled some overfill when I removed the plugs. The swingarm measurement was in the green. Something in the box is massively effed. There's really just no getting around it. This is what you don't want 2 months before a big intercontinental trip. I guess I'll be carrying on in Brad's tradition. I really wish I could be riding in this weather though.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:42 AM   #299
stickerbush
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
That ain't right.

Crazy idea #27: Put bike on centerstand and remove rear wheel. Start engine, put it in gear and use your stethoscope to pinpoint the location of the source of the sound.

This would at least confirm it was the tranny and not anything else in the driveline. You could probably even narrow it down to the front of the tranny if it is truly the input gear.
stickerbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #300
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,320
Just totally bizarre. It DOes sound like reverse gear

This Youtube diagnostic is the shiznit, I'm tellin ya.