Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #331
Dustdevill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
It is OK, but has a gear whine.... as it did before the rebuild! Wouldn't say the result is great, and not that post about whines being signaling impending failures has me worried...
Can't make out if you are worried or not. If you are, check the following, if you are not then fuckit, someone else might find this useful.

If you have the bike on the centre stand turning the wheel with gearbox in gear, clutch held in with cable tie, will cause a rumble if it has worn bearings. In this case rebuild is eminent.
A whine could also be on account of pitting of the primary input gear or the fifth gears or all of them. The 17.5 gears were supposed to cure the pitting problem but it still occur in some gearboxes.
Pitting itself is not a real problem but I believe the roughness could cause more vibration and heat shortening the life of the bearings. Pitting is a slow process and will not create any significant metal residue whereas bearing failure will produce a serious amount of metal particles in as little as a thousand kilometers.

Dustdevill screwed with this post 08-05-2009 at 01:18 PM
Dustdevill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:16 PM   #332
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevill
Can't make out if you are worried or not. If you are, check the following, if you are not then fuckit, someone else might find this useful.

If you have the bike on the centre stand turning the wheel with gearbox in gear, clutch held in with cable tie, will cause a rumble if it has worn bearings. In this case rebuild is eminent.
A whine could also be on account of pitting of the primary input gear or the fifth gears or all of them. The 17.5 gears were supposed to cure the pitting problem but it still occur in some gearboxes.
Pitting itself is not a real problem but I believe the roughness could cause more vibration and heat shortening the life of the bearings. Pitting is a slow process and will not create any significant metal residue whereas bearing failure will produce a serious amount of metal particles in as little as a thousand kilometers.
Dustdevil,

Thank you for the input, I do appreciate it for sure. I am going to be paying close attention to my gearbox for some time... the nice thing is that the gear whine is significantly less now, about 2,000 miles after rebuild...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #333
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,319
GEARBOX UPDATE:

The box is apart and sure enough it was the 519 gear in there. It came in a bag with the 991 part number on it and it slipped by the guy building the box. Despite an understandable slip-up (mainly on the part of some Germans who are supposed to be so meticulous about such things), this guy has been really good to work with and is really taking care of things well. Anyway, it's going back together as soon as the RIGHT gear comes in, so I should be off and riding in the near future.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #334
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler
GEARBOX UPDATE:

The box is apart and sure enough it was the 519 gear in there. It came in a bag with the 991 part number on it and it slipped by the guy building the box. Despite an understandable slip-up (mainly on the part of some Germans who are supposed to be so meticulous about such things), this guy has been really good to work with and is really taking care of things well. Anyway, it's going back together as soon as the RIGHT gear comes in, so I should be off and riding in the near future.
Big sigh of relief

FYI, if the dealer (or builder) pays an extra 10% the part can be at the dealership within 2 days... at least that is the case at RW

Quote:
Old 08-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #335
Dustdevill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
GEARBOX UPDATE:

So is the box back in the bike yet?
Dustdevill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:02 AM   #336
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevill
So is the box back in the bike yet?
NOOOOOO!

You won't believe this, but we ordered a 991 gear AGAIN and received a 519 gear in a sealed package labeled with the 991 part number AGAIN! WTF BMW!? GET IT TOGETHER! My old input gear is going back in because it's not nearly as worn as my patience is.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #337
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Hid Fail

Well, the HID finally gave up the ghost as they say. It appears the bulbs aren't terribly durable and finally sucumbed to vibration and rough roads. Any of you considering an HID bulb which could potentially see medium-heavy dirt road use and abuse might want to reconsider. If your luck is as bad as mine, you might be forced to ride over a high mountain pass in the dark in driving rain and fog freezing your ass off with a fogged up visor with only my auxiliary lights to guide me (thank god I installed those or Sunday would have been significantly less enjoyable. It was already pretty brutal - 450 miles of rain and two COLD mountain passes while soaked to the bone, one of them in the dark with no headlight)

Anyway, no HID will go to South America on my bike. The trailtech also stopped reading my speed on sunday so something went wrong there as well. Not what I need so close to shoving off. I also tore my seat apart and tried my hand at carving a new seat. My ass disagreed with my eyes' idea of a good shape though. The stock foam went back on with 3/4" of firm closed cell foam underneath and all is now right. Now I just need to figure out how to rivet the cover back onto the seat or figure out another (hopefully easier) way to do it. Any suggestions?

Getting psyched for heading south...

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 09-08-2009 at 12:40 PM
Old 09-08-2009, 12:30 PM   #338
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
...I also tore my seat apart and tried my hand at carving a new seat. My ass disagreed with my eyes' idea of a good shape though. The stock foam went back on with 3/4" of firm closed cell foam underneath and all is now right. Now I just need to figure out how to rivet the cover back onto the seat or figure out another (hopefully easier) way to do it. Any suggestions?

My seats covers are stapled on.

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #339
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

yeah I've never understood how stapling them works. The staple ends don't get bent over on the other side of the plastic seat pan so you have sharp little staple tips ready to perforate your seat cover if the foam is compressed too far (or so it would seem). I'm a complete idiot when it comes to upholstery.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #340
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
yeah I've never understood how stapling them works. The staple ends don't get bent over on the other side of the plastic seat pan so you have sharp little staple tips ready to perforate your seat cover if the foam is compressed too far (or so it would seem). I'm a complete idiot when it comes to upholstery.
You can buy staples in different lengths. Pick a length that is just barely the thickness of the pan+cover. That's what was on a recover which I recently removed from a stock pan. No issues, and they held really well - it was a biotch to pull them out!

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #341
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Quote:
When I rebuilt mine, I just riveted it back on... I have the rivet gun and rivets if you need...

Quote:
Old 09-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #342
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Hmmmm, might have to rent another tool from you for beer. Need to bring that muffler back to you anyway.

Here's another one for the peanut gallery to hash out:

What type of cleanable air filter would you use for South America? Or should I not even bother with one and just bring several paper ones? I anticipate a LOT of dust in baja and peru/bolivia/chile. All the gurus seem to shun the K&Ns and Unis for lack of filtering effectiveness, but are there other brands that are more effective? I could give a rat's ass about performance, I just want something that filters well and that I can wash the dirt out of and re-oil. Any candidates?

Old 09-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #343
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Hmmmm, might have to rent another tool from you for beer. Need to bring that muffler back to you anyway.

Quote:
What type of cleanable air filter would you use for South America?
Isn't there someone who makes a pre-filter skin that you can lay on top of the paper element and the wash that when needed?

Quote:
Old 09-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #344
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,277
uni makes filter covers. i've had them on dirtbikes before. they help out greatly and dry much faster than trying to clean an entire foam filter and re-oil overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
Isn't there someone who makes a pre-filter skin that you can lay on top of the paper element and the wash that when needed?
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #345
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,802
I haven't had any problems with my HID or my UNI. The cool thing about the UNI is you can rinse it with gas if need be and oil it with motor oil in a pinch. I had both when I was on the trans lab, I did carry a H4 bulb if the HID bit the dust. didn't you get a set of HID's? Put the other one in and I hear that you could externally ground the ballast and would increase the life. Haven't done it to mine yet. sorry that happened.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote