Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #661
simonpig
packin' heat

Oddometer: 978
Great thread. Lots of inspiration. That exhaust looks amazing. Would be great to hear how it sounds when you break the bottle on the bow, and turn her over... Wait, that didn't come out right, whatever
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #662
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #663
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew View Post
You'll need one BIG bag of popcorn. I'm in Mexico for a while now as I used up all my vacation for this year.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #664
ontic

Oddometer: 1,043
Damn.
Well, while it is still fresh in your mind, you didn't happen to grap a measurement of that HPN sump ring- how deep it is at the front and at the back?
So um... how's that Ducati coming along?
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #665
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,595
I say since AW is out of the country, that some of us get together and finish this thread ......bike , for him. It'll be our little secret. I'm sure there's a "Lone Wolf" in Washington State that could do it.....
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #666
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontic View Post
Damn.
Well, while it is still fresh in your mind, you didn't happen to grap a measurement of that HPN sump ring- how deep it is at the front and at the back?
So um... how's that Ducati coming along?
Unfortunately, no, I didn't measure it. I bet you could get pretty close scaling it off this photo. You know the length of the oil pan so some photoshop measuring and calculating could probably get you within a few mm.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #667
ontic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Unfortunately, no, I didn't measure it. I bet you could get pretty close scaling it off this photo. You know the length of the oil pan so some photoshop measuring and calculating could probably get you within a few mm.
Cheers, that did the trick. I used a silicon sump gasket I've got for the reference, blew up the image and just measured off the screen with a tape measure.
My calculations came out at 31mm (rounded up) at the back and 51mm (rounded down) at the front- which assuming a bit of error is probably more like 30mm at back and 50mm at front.
Which is a good thing for me, because 50mm at the front is exactly what I need for the sump bottom bash plate thing to clear the bottom of the headers at their lowest point.
(my stainless headers are home made by someone, and sit a bit lower than stock, and I wold like to make a bash plate to bolt onto a sump ring like you've got that extends out the sides and will cover them as well).

Now the tricky part...
contacting HPN.
Wish me luck, I'm going in.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #668
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
...and I wold like to make a bash plate to bolt onto a sump ring like you've got that extends out the sides and will cover them as well).

Now the tricky part...
contacting HPN.
Wish me luck, I'm going in.
Well, if you're thinking of using the HPN sump ring for that idea, you've got a not-so-small problem. The oil drain plug is on the left side right next to the header. There's another threaded hole, but it's on the front, so it can't be used as a drain plug. It's meant for an oil temp sensor. Both are visible here.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #669
ontic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Well, if you're thinking of using the HPN sump ring for that idea, you've got a not-so-small problem. The oil drain plug is on the left side right next to the header. There's another threaded hole, but it's on the front, so it can't be used as a drain plug. It's meant for an oil temp sensor. Both are visible here.
Thanks, that is a little annoying.
One way around it might be to have a hole in the wider bash plate where the drain plug is for a spanner to access the plug- on top of this hole there would be a half funnel welded on and facing the plug so that when the plug comes out the stream of oil gets directed down and out the hole...
Way complicated of course. Potentially a bit messy.
My problem is I want to avoid bashing my headers in with flying rocks (like has happened on my R90) and along with having the bash plate as the lowest point I would like it to cover the bottom and front of the headers.
Being a custom made exhaust system (at least until a staintune muffler from a different bike was bolted on the end of it) I can't exactly just buy a new header if I damage one badly. I could just plan on cutting and welding any bad dents, but I'd rather avoid them first with a bash plate if at all possible.

None of the other sump rings I've been able to find measurements for come close to giving me the depth I need at the front.
I did just check the price of the HPN sump though... so I'll be chewing on this for a little while.

Sorry to clog up your thread.

P.S. that angle and that image you just posted is er... kinda erotic...
Old 09-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #670
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
I did just check the price of the HPN sump though... so I'll be chewing on this for a little while.
Yeah, for some reason they charged me less for it. Their price list says 340EU which includes 19% VAT that you don't need to pay. Still they only billed me 251.68EU for it on my invoice. Give them a call and ask Klaus how much they are. Don't bother with email.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:47 PM   #671
Suruppak
hack

Oddometer: 124
triple clamps

AW,

Maybe I missed it, but where did you get the triple clamps to fit the WP forks to the ST frame?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Suruppak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #672
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suruppak View Post
AW,

Maybe I missed it, but where did you get the triple clamps to fit the WP forks to the ST frame?

Thanks,
Jeremy
They came from HPMguy from his first group buy of these. He's got a second run of them going now it looks like:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post18369413

My only comment on them is that the stem is a little too thick where the bearings fit. They needed some hot/cold to get them on. Getting them off the first time is going to be a bitch. Otherwise they are REALLY nicely made.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #673
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,062
Cant wait till i can spend some real time on this thread. Looks great from what i can see though!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #674
Desertpistons
80s dakar

Oddometer: 247
brake line

Re : Next came the rear brake. Since the swingarm got lengthened 100mm, HPN provides a longer replacement for the brake actuating rod. Instead of a solid rod they provide a flexible steel cable with a plastic sheath over it. Pretty slick actually.

Hi Spencer

Just got into your rebuild thread. Great job. Make me feel the itch to finish my beemer projects. If i may give you an advice, you need to turn the back brake lever or you are going to destroy it the first time you hit a decent rock. To do so you need remove the brake cam and make it symmetrical so that it can work turned it up side down. The HPN bikes have the same setup. Good job...the germans will say "prima!"

Desertpistons

Desertpistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #675
adventure950
Anglo-Saxon

Oddometer: 507
Hi Airhead, the bikes looking great,nice thread to follow as you know I went through the same slow process of doing bits at a time even when I got her all finished it took another month to get the suspension all set up right and the motor running perfect with the different exhausts and all - so your getting closer but still a way to go but hang in there its worth it in the end. Jake. ( adventure950)