Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #676
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Nice Thread

Hi Spencer,

Nice job with the pics, the bike clearly has come along way.

Tell Mary and Mr. Boots hi from me. . . . .
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
ADV Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #677
kito
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
is the a pannier rack going on the bike when its all done ? do you remember how my system worked on my old XT600 ? if your having panniers move over to that system .it shits on what you can buy . the bike is looking real nice by the way hope to get up to see it in the flesh
kito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #678
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by kito View Post
is the a pannier rack going on the bike when its all done ? do you remember how my system worked on my old XT600 ? if your having panniers move over to that system .it shits on what you can buy . the bike is looking real nice by the way hope to get up to see it in the flesh
Your set up was good, but I'm going with soft luggage this time. What are you running on your new bike?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #679
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

There is now an electrical plan. Rather than reinstall my stock harness which is old, cruddy, muddy, brittle, and half irrelevant, I'll be installing a motogadget m-unit and getting rid of a LOT of crap. Here's what things looked like after south america when I tore the bike down:

The thought of replacing all that crap with this is enticing:

Plus none of the handlebar switches carry any load anymore, only enough to switch a transistor so I can go to a single 8 conductor signal wire from under the tank to handlebar controls. All switches will get replaced with push buttons from highway dirtbikes like these:

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #680
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,768
Very nice, as soon as I saw the harness on my bike, I ripped it out, and threw it away.
Love those handlebar switches!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #681
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,170
Ooooo .... shiney .... Where'd you find these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
:
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #682
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Ooooo .... shiney .... Where'd you find these?
Yep, those are shiny, but I'm getting black ones. They're coming from here:

www.highwaydirtbikes.com

The 3 button one isn't listed on their website, but it's available if you email and ask about it. These are a hell of a lot cheaper than the other similar options available from other sources.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #683
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,658
Have you looked at the tripple clamp. I have it on the DRZ and it has a very nice location for other switches.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #684
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,422
Holy crap. I'm away from ADV for a few months and you build a monster! I gotta go back and reread this! I love the idea of lopping off the top of the engine and having the starter exposed.

Got any big trips planned for the next few years? I have to imagine you're tired of Latin America by now.

btw, That last side view of your bike is my new background

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #685
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:

Last I got the oil cooler mounted and ran the lines as well as temporarily mounted the alternator and ignition to start looking at how to make a cover to go over them.

...on this. I need to make that same front cover, for the same motor mod. Right now, I'm inclined to cut the stock cover and make a "cap" for it.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #686
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
...on this. I need to make that same front cover, for the same motor mod. Right now, I'm inclined to cut the stock cover and make a "cap" for it.
What you can't see on mine is that I already started cutting away the side walls of the timing cover, so the normal front cover won't work for me now. I'm thinking of laying up a cylindrical cover in carbon fiber that will just slide over the alternator itself. Everything else will remain open.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #687
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,228
Quote:
What you can't see on mine is that I already started cutting away the side walls of the timing cover, so the normal front cover won't work for me now. I'm thinking of laying up a cylindrical cover in carbon fiber that will just slide over the alternator itself. Everything else will remain open.
I see...you have the bean can-cover blocking the camshaft seal area. I have a camshaft nose (and seal) hanging out there that needs protecting. I'm going with the same alternator/ignition you have, but leaving the cam nose there just in case I ever need to install points again. You know...on that trip up the Road of Bones that I'll never take...

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #688
Desertpistons
80s dakar

Oddometer: 254
cover

You need to vent that custom cover or you you will fry everything. I am talking from experience. The alternator generates big heat. guidado...

Quote:
Desertpistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #689
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertpistons View Post
You need to vent that custom cover or you you will fry everything. I am talking from experience. The alternator generates big heat. guidado...
My ignition pickup will be in there too, so it needs to stay cool. I'll be sure to vent it well.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #690
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Got any big trips planned for the next few years? I have to imagine you're tired of Latin America by now.
I've been toying with the idea of Capetown to Vladivostok since before I was even done with South America. No real plan yet, but the travel bug is starting to nag at me again. Having a bike that's finally ready for all the trips its already been on is pointless. Gotta go somewhere. Whenever I get transferred back to the US, hopefully soon, I want to do another Northern Canada / Alaska trip as a long shakedown and then another big international trip after that. Yes, I am done with Latin America for the foreseeable future.