Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #691
ms-oz
Mike

Oddometer: 69
HPN No.

Hi AW,
like your detailed thread and course your sexy black girl.
May I ask you what No. your HPN kit is, to give me an idea how much longer my 1981 kit is away. Left it at HPN May this year she will be No. 864.
cheers
Mike
ms-oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:56 PM   #692
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
What you can't see on mine is that I already started cutting away the side walls of the timing cover, so the normal front cover won't work for me now. I'm thinking of laying up a cylindrical cover in carbon fiber that will just slide over the alternator itself. Everything else will remain open.
Another Q...what airbox setup are you planning on using? The flat stock box...pods on the carbs...?
'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace

'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:18 AM   #693
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms-oz View Post
Hi AW,
like your detailed thread and course your sexy black girl.
May I ask you what No. your HPN kit is, to give me an idea how much longer my 1981 kit is away. Left it at HPN May this year she will be No. 864.
cheers
Mike
Mine is #834. I received all the pieces in early August. HPN received all my parts in April of '11, so it took about a year and 4 months for mine. You're getting another one? What configuration?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 06:43 AM
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:20 AM   #694
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
Another Q...what airbox setup are you planning on using? The flat stock box...pods on the carbs...?
Yep, stock purolator airbox although I've been toying with the idea of making some tubes to fit up to the mikunis a bit more cleanly. I might also change from one big horn and one small to two big horns. Anyone know what the best horn combo is for 1000cc 9.5:1 w/ big port heads?

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 06:47 AM
Old 10-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #695
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

Oddometer: 215
Carbon Airbox

I'm working part time for a company in Houston TX called Carbon Fiber Technologies and I was thinking of making a set of molds for a carbon airbox for my R90/6 and I was wondering if you guys might think there would be a market for it. The tooling or molds will cost me about $400 for materials to make just the first one or the prototype. If I can convince the owner that there might be a real market for it I think I'd be able to have him help me make the molds and a short run of parts.

Any thoughts? The aluminum parts are kind of heavy and the carbon part would be virtually weightless at about an ounce. I could also do a carbon top snorkel and front cover too.
Talk soon Travis.

I'm a collector of fine crap!
IronSpadeCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #696
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpadeCycles View Post
Any thoughts? The aluminum parts are kind of heavy and the carbon part would be virtually weightless at about an ounce. I could also do a carbon top snorkel and front cover too.
The top cover and snorkels are already made of plastic and are very light, so there's not much point in doing them. I was thinking about doing an airbox on my own, but it got prioritized out of the picture in getting the rest of the bike done. The stock airbox weighs about 2.5 lbs so there's a bit of weight to be saved there. I might still do it at some point, but I need to focus on the front cover first. I was also thinking of making a composite G/S tank, the small one. The stock one weights 12 lbs and I bet I could get it down to 4 or 5. I have a rusted out G/S tank I got cheap to take a splash mold off of.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #697
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,508
Moorespeed in the UK makes an Alu airbox....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #698
Desertpistons
80s dakar

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
The top cover and snorkels are already made of plastic and are very light, so there's not much point in doing them. I was thinking about doing an airbox on my own, but it got prioritized out of the picture in getting the rest of the bike done. The stock airbox weighs about 2.5 lbs so there's a bit of weight to be saved there. I might still do it at some point, but I need to focus on the front cover first. I was also thinking of making a composite G/S tank, the small one. The stock one weights 12 lbs and I bet I could get it down to 4 or 5. I have a rusted out G/S tank I got cheap to take a splash mold off of.
We have done a mold in Italy for the small g/s tank. The tank can be made out of fiberglass, carbon fiber, or kevlar composite. The tank has 2 petcocks and has two front dents for the forks. if interested i can post some pictures. let me know. 6 lbs made of fiberglass if i am not mistaken.
Desertpistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:39 PM   #699
Desertpistons
80s dakar

Oddometer: 247
alaska

Quote:
I've been toying with the idea of Capetown to Vladivostok since before I was even done with South America. No real plan yet, but the travel bug is starting to nag at me again. Having a bike that's finally ready for all the trips its already been on is pointless. Gotta go somewhere. Whenever I get transferred back to the US, hopefully soon, I want to do another Northern Canada / Alaska trip as a long shakedown and then another big international trip after that. Yes, I am done with Latin America for the foreseeable future.
I join you on your trip to alaska. I always wanted to do one
Desertpistons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #700
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertpistons View Post
We have done a mold in Italy for the small g/s tank. The tank can be made out of fiberglass, carbon fiber, or kevlar composite. The tank has 2 petcocks and has two front dents for the forks. if interested i can post some pictures. let me know. 6 lbs made of fiberglass if i am not mistaken.
I'd love to see any photos you have of the composite tanks. Do you happen to know what resin and inner coating was used for them?

Old 10-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #701
IronSpadeCycles
Button Pusher

Oddometer: 215
I have a 1978 R80/6 that I'm thinking of doing the same thing as you have here. My engine top cover, air box and front cover is all made from cast aluminum, the snorkel is plastic but everything else is heavy aluminum. I would like to get the bike down to about 300lbs before the 8-10 gallons of fuel. I will most likely make my own one off tank in carbon, I just don't like the ones currently available and if I'm going to spend $1000 for all the materials I might as well be happy with it in the end.

So many ideas. So little time...

Talk soon Travis

I'm a collector of fine crap!
IronSpadeCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #702
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronSpadeCycles View Post
...heavy aluminum....

Oxymoron?
'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace

'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #703
ms-oz
Mike

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Mine is #834. I received all the pieces in early August. HPN received all my parts in April of '11, so it took about a year and 4 months for mine. You're getting another one? What configuration?
there is no such thing as to much HPN's in the shed.
reinforced frame, extended dual swigarm with single shock, ultra light, 100% race configuration.
ms-oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:54 PM   #704
Abey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Amazing thread.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:12 AM   #705
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms-oz View Post
there is no such thing as to much HPN's in the shed.
reinforced frame, extended dual swigarm with single shock, ultra light, 100% race configuration.
I've never seen one of their bikes with a dual sided swingarm and a single shock. Got any photos of this?

EDIT: I take that back. Actually, yes I have. Like these?