Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #751
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Custom exhaust, siebenrock kit, dual plugs....yeah you obviously don't care about performance. Nevermind.
No dual plugs. Siebenrock kit was only because I needed a set of slugs and jugs because I was starting with a short block. I could've bought a set of good used R100GS cylinders and pistons for ~$500ish or a brand new set of siebenrock cylinders and pistons (including a full top end gasket set and stainless pushrod tubes) for $700. That was kind of a no brainer, all performance considerations aside.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 11:51 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #752
naginalf
Handy Schtroumpf

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
I'm planning on using the stock airbox at least to get things going. I'll make a larger and lighter box out of sheet aluminum and figure out some way to get the intake up higher. If that doesn't work out I'll just go back to stock. I don't plan to get too obsessive about the performance of this thing. A road racer it shall not be.
I've been thinking on this today as well. Why not use silicon 90s off the carbs, into an aluminum y, run it up beside the main tube, around the front of the tank, and terminate the pipe at a tractor style filter in front of or beside your gas cap. Get a small 90 snorkel for the exhaust as well, put it on when you get to a crossing. Scuba bike!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #753
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by naginalf View Post
I've been thinking on this today as well. Why not use silicon 90s off the carbs, into an aluminum y, run it up beside the main tube, around the front of the tank, and terminate the pipe at a tractor style filter in front of or beside your gas cap. Get a small 90 snorkel for the exhaust as well, put it on when you get to a crossing. Scuba bike!

....ooohhh... I need a picture of this besides what I am seeing in my "brain"......

Old 03-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #754
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
....ooohhh... I need a picture of this besides what I am seeing in my "brain"......

Rooney already did something similar on one of his bikes:

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #755
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,783
The top filter is really just a pre-filter. Its got a stock filter in the stock location, which was never changed the whole time I rode it.

The last day or so we'd cut off hte pre-filter completely.

This arangement fits with the DR650 30L tank.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:12 PM   #756
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

OK, I'm getting ready for a trip back to the states in a couple of weeks which means more work on the the long-neglected ST.

The list will include:
  • COMPLETELY wiring the bike from scratch. Since I'll be using a motogadget M-Unit and my stock harness is dirty, old, and crispy, it makes more sense to start from scratch with something better adapted to the M-unit.

• a KTM 950SM sidestand off of ebay which I'm determined to modify and fit. I've had enough of airhead side stands and refuse to fix or "improve" them anymore. This WILL work and it WILL be excellent.

• Aluminum petcocks to replace the plastic acerbis ones that HPN forgot to return to me when they patched my tank.

• a temporary airbox arrangement to work with the mikunis just for the sake of (hopefully) getting it started and out for some miles Probably something like this:

I also got a R1100GS swingarm to bring back to Mexico with me for a different bike.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 04:29 PM
Old 05-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #757
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,768
Finally you might get to hear her roar!!!

Hope to get to visit when your up this way.
I have 10 gallons of IPA brewed up, and kegged in my fridge, hope you can help dispose of some of it!?!

Safe travels! Eric
Old 05-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #758
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,169
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #759
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
I also got a R1100GS swingarm to bring back to Mexico with me for a different bike.
Ras Thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #760
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Riding the ST and a new project..... This is going to be good

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #761
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
I have 10 gallons of IPA brewed up, and kegged in my fridge, hope you can help dispose of some of it!?!
I'm only up for a week, so it's going to be pretty packed, but I'll try to make it up to your shop. Maybe that can be my first break-in ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras Thurlo View Post
You heard me. I'm going to start smuggling all the necessary pieces into mexico one trip at a time. Once I get the HPN running and down here I'll need to start on another project. The R100GS paralever bugs me in too many ways to leave it alone. It's getting the axe.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #762
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,169
Quote:
You heard me. I'm going to start smuggling all the necessary pieces into mexico one trip at a time. Once I get the HPN running and down here I'll need to start on another project. The R100GS paralever bugs me in too many ways to leave it alone. It's getting the axe.

I will be going down this road once my paralever fails ... but it's a new shaft ... and I have a couple of mono-swingarms on the shelf ... and two 100mm lengthened shafts coming ... Already have a milled GS hub ...

Any thoughts about what you're going to do?
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #763
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Any thoughts about what you're going to do?
Haven't totally made up my mind yet.

The three shock mounting options I'm considering are:

1: Bolt on shock subframe ala HPN, Crazy Ivan, that other Israeli guy, among others

2: Welded-on shock mount like SWT

3: Modify the swingarm to use the R100GS shock mount, (maybe same shock too??) like TAG does

Pros: shock stays out to the side, so no need to relocate battery, can chop off stock shock mount on the swingarm which would allow 18" wheel
Cons: the shock is much more exposed to debris and probably wouldn't last as long, modifying the swingarm needs to be very carefully considered.

The other consideration is which final drive to use: Oilhead (3.20:1 or 3.00:1) or airhead (3.09:1)

Gearing ratio aside, the other issue is that of brakes and driveshafts. Either way I'll need an oilhead driveshaft. If I opt to use the airhead final drive (which I already have) I'll need to fit the spline bell from the R100 shaft to the end of the oilhead shaft to mate up with the splines on the final drive. I'd also need to make a longer rear brake cable. If go for an oilhead final drive it would allow me to use the oilhead driveshaft unmodified, give me a disk brake, but it'd result on a deeper dish on the rear wheel and I'd need to weld mounts onto the main frame for a rear master cylinder as well as modify my brake pedal to push it. There you go, Fred. Those are my thoughts on the matter. ...or I could just go the smarter route and fit a lengthened monolever.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #764
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,657
in case you have an issue with the petcocks facing opposite directions when on or off.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554615
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #765
BeardThrone
...in bat country.

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
Finally you might get to hear her roar!!!

Safe travels! Eric
I'll drink his share Eric!
BeardThrone is offline   Reply With Quote